Featured How should I transport my gear?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Bephestus, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Bephestus

Bephestus New Member

I'm just wondering how I should be transporting my gear. I know you need to be able to lock your gear while you are not around, so I will be buying a few locks. However, I was wondering if I should buy a dual rifle gun bag, put my single rifle and other gear in there and try to lock that, or if I should use a duffle bag and just use the gun case my rifle came with while putting my other gear into the duffle bag, or something else I feel like I might be overcomplicating this, but any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

2. mr. potatohead

mr. potatohead New Member

I always thought that your gun is really the only thing that needs to be locked up unless you have some very expensive piece of equipment.

3. Bephestus

Bephestus New Member

That’s true, the most expensive thing I would be transporting would be my boots, I was just wondering if I needed to be extra cautious. Plus, I’m usually wearing those.

mr. potatohead likes this.
  4. mr. potatohead

mr. potatohead New Member

Are you in a high crime area or something where car break-ins are common?

5. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Thats the main thing. When I play in the cities like indoor arenas I make sure no one can peak in and see my rifle bag. Then I only bring what I need into the arena in that rifle back and leave everything else in another bag.

But the outdoor field I play at is open carry for replicas so many just throw their guns and gear in the trunk and pull in. Screwed entirely if you get pulled over tho.

Remember criminals look for easy targets. If you have a nicer car and park in the slums, chances are you'll end up falling victim eventually.

If you leave your replicas around or gear and go and take a leak or whatever, there's always the chance it might not be there when you get back.

A lot of places have cameras these days too, outdoor fields, indoor arenas... many do. Some parking areas do too.

For my aegs and pistols at home, I store them inside a gun locker with a lock, it's bolted to the floor. I don't even own a real firearm. But I don't want someone taking my stuff.

Also if police see a open "firearm" they can search your entire vehicle. If its in a gun bag it's not as big of a deal.

Our airsoft vests to everyday cops and strangers look like we are about to go postal, it's best to also have those in a bag so it doesn't raise any false alarms. People see the mag pouches and become alarmed pretty easy.

If your going across state lines to an event, a temporary orange tip doesn't hurt. If they open your gun bag it's less alarming. If you end up getting a jerk cop he may ruin your day with the orange tip, but it's never happened from what I've seen.

6. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Since I live in Montana so the risk of theft it so low it's not even an issue (everybody here owns guns, and basically carry them everywhere, including banks, and stealing is the quickest way to get shot). I also have a truck with a lockable topper (with PSA and NRA stickers on the windows) so it's easy to keep gear safe.

My problem is staying organized at and after an event. It's all neat and clean when I show up, but it's all just chucked in the back when I leave.

Squad144 likes this.
  7. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's basically me every time.

Squad144 and OutlawAirsoft like this.
  8. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Hartsgrove
    Easy one here: Keep it out of sight, and its out of the minds of everyone else. I keep my rifles and gear in the trunk of my car; and the Keys to the car in a deep zipped pocked on my person. Same is said when Im out on the field.

9. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Don't be naive in this day and age by treating these as toys.

Many cops can't tell the difference. Many cops have shot kids on reaction and killed them because they were "brandishing" what they perceived to be a "weapon" (granted they were playing in public neighborhood parks).

Treat them like a real firearm, cased when not in use and out of sight when out of your home.

10. Bephestus

Bephestus New Member

I live in a pretty chill area of Wisconsin, so that isn’t a big issue.

mr. potatohead likes this.
  11. Bephestus

Bephestus New Member

Thank you guys for all your input, You’ve all been really helpful.

12. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    I play airsoft a lot with a lot of expensive guns and gear I have crates with locks thst I keep in the back of my van and a big gun safe in my closet

13. Jamesking

Jamesking Member

South bend
    Cost me around 200 for all the locks and crates and about 300 for the safe so not th right route if you don’t have slot of money

14. rue_exe

rue_exe Member

Phoenix
    How about flying with them? I was planning on doing this for a trip I wanted to plan. Obviously orange tips, but like, what should i put them in? I was gonna check them as luggage for obvious reason (it would make tsa’s day to see 5 guns under the xray machine). Its that or i just ship them like a week in advance which would get expensive

15. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Extra bag charge is high. Shipping is actually cheaper.

16. HairyFmarine

HairyFmarine New Member

Milwaukee
    For my gear I transport my eye pro web gear, mags etc. in a three day pack or rolling duffel. For my AEGs I use hard cases there are alot of options, check amazon, they have ones in a variety of price ranges.

17. DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime New Member

Auburn
    I have a 2 gun bag (only have one gun but planning ahead :)) and a rubber made tote big enough to hold by plate carrier, BB's, PPE, and anything else that didn't fit in the bag such that the contents remain out of sight.

I generally don't leave my gear in my car unattended. I drive from home to the event and then straight back. Most of it remains on my person while in play so there's not much to worry about going missing during games.

My biggest concern with Airsoft is that all the guns are full sized replicas of real-steal weapons and the potential for idiots misusing them is high. Every time someone gets shot because they were brandishing an airsoft gun as if it were real I get really nervous that the Karens of the world will come after our fun. Don't give them the opportunity. Follow the laws of your state for replicas (My state just requires 1/4" of orange tip) and act responsibly and you'll protect our ability to keep doing what we do.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  18. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    That is very true. It's not the average player that causes problems, it's the massive amount of "cheater" videos on YouTube and the few players that don't follow the rules.

Stuff like that makes people wonder why we enjoy this sport, and makes them hesitant to allow it.

Squad144 likes this.
  19. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Yea, pretty sure my mom used these exact words back when I was 11 and got my first Crosman airsoft springer rifle.:D

Seriously though, no joke. Keep your toys locked up.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  20. Graybeard

Graybeard Active Member

Silver Spring
    While I agree with the sentiment, This trend of calling overprotective a$$hats Karen is upsetting to me. My wife is Karen, and not a ‘Karen’. She doesn’t have a problem with the plastic arsenal I have, and never has a problem when I tell her I want to go play airsoft while she deals with the kids. Call a club a club, a spade a spade and a a$$hat an A$$HAT…..

Sorry had to vent….

DavicusPrime and Squad144 like this.