How to clean your barrel.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by MFairtap, Apr 2, 2010.

1. MFairtap

MFairtap New Member

Today, I will teach you how to clean your airsoft gun's barrel. You should clean it regularly, before a game, after a game, and even once in while when your not using your airsoft gun. A dirty barrel can cause jams, and make your shooting inaccurate.

You will need: paper towel, cleaning/unjamming rod, and silicon spray.
    [​IMG]

Cut a piece of the paper towel like the picture shown below. Wide enough to fit through your cleaning rod's slit and stay on it and long enough to fit nicely into your barrel.
    [​IMG]

Slide in the piece of paper towel into the cleaning rod's slit.
    [​IMG]

Spray the piece of paper towel with silicon, dont soak it, just make it damp. I do one squirt for each side.
    [​IMG]

Then slide the cleaning rod down your barrel. Slide it slowly all the way down and up two times.
    [​IMG]

Repeat cutting out a piece of paper towel and inserting it into your cleaning rod's slit and sliding it down your barrel until the paper towel comes out clean. It may take more than 8 times depending on how dirty your barrel is. After that don't forget to clean it 2-3 times with dry paper towel to wipe off the silicon. Good luck! :p

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    Make sure to finish this process with a clean dry peice of paper towel to get the silicon out. And be cautious not to rip your bucking. Turn your hop up completely off first.

Other than that, great guide. Maybe I'm just anal about my barrel, but sometimes I disassemble the barrel and clean it that way. I continue to check the inner shine to make sure I don't see anything aswell as seeing the cloth come out clean.

3. MFairtap

MFairtap New Member

I thought the silicone helped reduce friction with the BB?
    No your not being anal I completely agree with you, I just didn't put it on there. Can't remember EVERYTHING. Thats why forums are so great, other people can fill in the blanks. :D

4. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    It's not nesessary to disassemble your barrel, it's just something I do sometimes.

And no, the silicon just getts in the way. It doesn't help with friction. But it actually will stick to the BB and cause drag or cause the BB to not backspin right.

In the end it slightly reduces accuracy lol

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

Shenandoah County
    And reward your hard work with a 3 musketeers bar.

6. MFairtap

MFairtap New Member

The best out there ;)

7. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

I like to have the gun horizontal, put a spurt of silicon spray down the barrel then clean up to the hop (but not rub silicon on/through the hop).

8. Jacobeggegg

Jacobeggegg New Member

Bethalto
    i would advise using rubbing alcohol it will clean your barrel and evaporate when your done

9. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    Real steel gun cleaning patches should be used for best results, rather than tissues or paper towels.

100% pure silicone spray only should be used as the cleaning and lubricating agent.

Barrels should be cleaned after after every use of the gun.

Hop-up needs to be turned completely off. Thread patch into looped end of cleaning rod. Spray silicone on the patch. Insert into the barrel and slowly push in while twisting at the same time to initiate a scrubbing action. Stop the moment you feel the cleaning rod touch the hop-up unit. Reverse direction and slowly pull rod out while still rotating to scrub. Discard patch. Replace and repeat as many times as necessary until the patches come out clean.

10. lil_redd_again

lil_redd_again New Member

El Paso
    holy hell. being new to the whole, cleaning your barrel, thing I guess I should have done more research first. Ive actually tapped the, I guess the hop-up unit sort of hard in the past with the end of the cleaning rod, multiple times. What sort of damage am I doing?

11. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    Well, you can either tear, dislodge or distort your hop-up bucking, or you can damage your air nozzle.

12. lil_redd_again

lil_redd_again New Member

El Paso
    So, I've just been cleaning my barrels with 91% alcohol. I havnt used any sort of silicone in the barrels, I thought you werent supposed to do that?

13. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    Alcohol is a solvent. Some barrels have a lacquer coating on the inside which a solvent can start to remove. More importantly, though, the alcohol will get onto your bucking through the notch in the barrel and will dry out or shrivel the bucking. The small amount of silicone that gets onto your bucking through that same notch helps to keep the rubber supple and flexible.

14. buztone

buztone New Member

15. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    NEVER EVER use any petroleum-based product or solvent on your airsoft gun!! It will damage the rubber and plastic components of your gun, especially your hop-up.

As stated earlier in post #9: 100% pure silicone spray only should be used as the cleaning and lubricating agent.

16. MrChuckNorris

MrChuckNorris New Member

True. Petroleum and I believe WD-40 products are best used for real firearms because it will seriously F up an airsoft gun, I personally use UTG silicone spray. I do one trip down the barrel with a towel with spray on it then go down with a dry piece until it comes out clean.

17. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Buy proper lube for your AEG unless you want it to end up as a corroded broken mess.

It's kinda like saying Should I use this baseball with my badminton racket because they both involve some sort of bat?

18. Clonetrooper

Clonetrooper New Member

Is Mr McKenic that ok for cleaning out my barrel?

19. Clonetrooper

Clonetrooper New Member

Can you guys tell me if this is product is alright to use for cleaning out ur barrel?
    Mr McKenic

20. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    Why would you use white lithium gear grease to clean your barrel?? I already answered this question for you via PM.

100% pure silicone spray only...EVER!