How to fix wiring.

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Phillies2406, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Okay here is my situation. I was taking the outer barrel-hop up assembly out of my gun. I found a wire that was stripped for about a quarter of an inch. Pieces of the copper were ripped apart but not all of it. My semi auto does not work well or even at all most of the time. My last match my full auto started to stop working for a little but then it got better. My question is how can if fix the wiring without replacing it. I don't want to replace it because I am new to teching.

2. Pashto

Pashto New Member

Mechanicsburg
    I think you're going to have to replace it. What you can do is cut out the torn section and solder in a new piece of wire and cover the solder joints with some shrink tubing. You won't have to open your gearbox at all.

3. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Sodering is not an option. My dad does have a blow torch though. Could I squeeze the copper together then put electrical tape over it?

4. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

I would not suggest that. If you can't solder then you have to open the gearbox

5. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Where should I take it to be soldered then? The only place that i have soldered is in my school.

6. Pashto

Pashto New Member

Mechanicsburg
    The only way you could get it soldered at school would be if you took the gearbox out of the body. It also depends on your teacher. Soldering irons are ~$15 at any local hardware store.

7. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

My teacher is nice but I don't think he will. He may let me borrow a solder iron and some solder.

8. Finalencounter

Finalencounter Duke of Penguins Supporting Member

Warrenton
    Either way, if you buy or borrow one, you need to solder the wires. Get out a piece of solder, heat the iron up and put it under the wire to heat it up, then place the tip of the solder onto the wire. If the iron doesnt get the wire hot enough, place the solder on the wire and carefully place the tip of the iron onto it and let the solder seep into the wire. Then either get shrink tube and use that, or wrap some electrical tape around it.

9. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

I know how to solder. I just want to know of their is a placw that I can buy one at.

10. Pashto

Pashto New Member

Mechanicsburg
    Any nearby hardware store should have one. I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart had one.

11. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Sorry I did not mean to put buy one down. Is there anywhere that I can take it too that can solder for me.

12. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Could it be my motor height? When I pull the trigger it feels different and it clicks. There is a sound like the motor is moving but it can't go all the way. But sometimes it does work.

13. Pashto

Pashto New Member

Mechanicsburg
    Either way that wire should be fixed. You can try adjusting the motor height too.

14. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Why does the wire need to be fixed?

15. Pashto

Pashto New Member

Mechanicsburg
    The wires are going to be less efficient a result in your battery being drained much quicker. Any chance we could see a picture of the wire?

16. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

I will try to get one.

17. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Okay here you go, I can't get a better quaility one.

ForumRunner_20120822_182633.png

18. Retrospection

Retrospection New Member

Kimballton
    This may be a little late but you don't always have to solder ripped/disconnected wires. Strip the plastic on both sides by a little bit so your wire is exposed and make sure the wire doesn't have gunge/dirt/adhesive gunk around it or it wont make good contact. Twist your two wires so they aren't frayed then splice together by twisting your ends together. Make sure its tight for good contact then I always use wire tape to cover the contact and tape it off to a side of wire so its like its still one wire.

19. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

I am going to take it to the techs at my field. Thanks guys for the help.

20. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Well it must be my lucky day, I just found a soldering iorn in a box in my basement. :) :)