How to Get a Job

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by BRTSoloWing, Oct 5, 2012.

1. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    Okay so iv been seeing a lot of "how to make money" threads, so iv decided to make a short guide to get some people started.

So.....
    #1: PULL UP YOUR DANG PANTS!!! no one wants to see this, especially employers. You can go ask any manager and 9 out of 10 times they'll say they turn away or throw away applications because of the way some people "sag" there pants. The way they see it is, you don't care to dress properly and professionally, then you won't care about their business. Employers want to see you come into their business wearing khaki pants that fit properly. No shorts, jeans, cargo pants, or any thing of that nature. Just a nice pair of khaki pants and a belt, black or brown. ( This probably doesn't a count for a lot if not most of the people on here about the sagging, but where I am its a problem )

#2: Get a nice dress shirt. Don't go to put in applications in your HotTopic T-shirt. Again an employer sees that as unprofessional and will more or likely trash your application. Find a nice dress shirt and wear that. Button it all the way up and tuck it in. That's what employers want to see.

#3: Jewelry. Guys take it off. There are some guys that love to be loaded down in jewelry, and there's nothing wrong with that, but in the work field its a safety hazard. It can get caught into some things and be very dangerous for you and the employer, when they see you loaded down in it, they throw up a red flag. They will see you as a safety hazard, and won't want to hire you. So just take it off for applications and interviews. Now that I'm thinking about it, this goes for girls also, not just the guys.

#4: Hygiene. DON'T go put in applications smelling like a can of AXE or any body spray. Employers do not want to smell you at all, much less all the way across the store. Even if you think I'm wrong, employers will agree with me. So shower, use your head and shoulders, or what ever it is you use, and put on some Degree deodorant and you'll be good to go. remember, a stink is a stink, good or bad. So just don't stink.

#4: This will sound odd, but I found out that employers will red flag a application for this. If you have long fingernails, that alone can keep you from getting hired. So simple enough, trim them.

And
    #5: hair. Guys just trim it. Keep it neat. No bed head, or any thing. And clean shaved, or trimmed. Don't be nappy.

This is just the basics of how to get started. Use this guide to get the professionalism look. Then every week go in person, and look professional to check up on your application. This shows not only professionalism, but dedication also, and that's what employers want.

Job hunting is a long and aggrivating process. But if you do it in the right ways, it will pay off. So I hope this is helpful, and happy job hunting.

Edit: fixed

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    Amen, just amen, lots of good points.

Also, get information before the interview to know if they need any paperwork, and always keep a resume on file.

3. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    1^ on that, I didn't even think about that

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Proper spelling is important too (*didn't :rolleyes:), I've known people to be turned down because they had days to write an application essay, but they had spelling errors and looked bad in the business world.

5. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Sorry, tired. I didn't even realize that, I probably have other grammar mistakes as well, I'm sorry if I do. I'll fix them as I see them, or pointed out.

6. Whiplashairsoft1

Whiplashairsoft1 New Member

42 Wallaby Way
    The other thing to is to just honestly act like a nice, intelligent person who appears clean cut, respectful, competitive, and interested in the position who doesn't talk about himself (in unimportant matters) or text during the interview.

PUH-LEEZ TURN YOUR PHONES OFF BEFORE THE INTERVIEW!
    (Sorry, I took a whole class on this :D)

7. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Lol, iv been through one to, it was boring lol. But hey now I work on these

ForumRunner_20121005_195854.png

Hehe, 600hp at the tip of my toes :D

8. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

It is also good to present yourself as hardworking and very interested in a particular job. Employers love initiative and confidence, but not the point where the applicant is annoying.

9. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    Off topic, BRT, but did you see I sent you a friend request on the Playstation 3?

And to stay on topic, how long have you had that job?

10. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    I've done all these thing and cant get a job anywhere! I'm only 15 but i did get myself a small job sanding things by being respectfull. And also capitalize on the opportunity guys,And dont give up after one try.Thats my advice.

11. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Mow lawns, there's always money there, even up to $30 an hour. My uncle as a child did this, and expanded with other kids up till now, he now owns his own company, has hundreds of acres of land, and lives in a three story mansion with a separate pool house.:eek:

12. Nacht

Nacht New Member

Priceville
    The best way to get a job is to know someone who works somewhere. Everyone I work with can be traced back to the original crew.

13. Scarred

Scarred New Member

I feel like this thread better explains how to get a girlfriend.

14. BRTSoloWing

China Grove
    Here's the problem with that( at least in NC ) is everyone is doing it now, $100 yards are being mowwed for $10. And that goes back into the tank. For 15 and 16 year olds, fast food wants you. Your young and fast. Being 15 though it is harder, because of some of the laws, but there are jobs out there for you....

As for how long iv been working with Rush, a week lol. That's why I decided to give some pointers, because iv been looking for work as well.

15. Whiplashairsoft1

42 Wallaby Way
    This is an excellent point no one talks about. Ten years ago, you could mow lawns and make tons of money. Now, I kid you not, there are four times as many lawn companies in a given area. And with more companies comes competitive pricing. EVERYONE mows lawns anymore.

Still, if you’re smart and work hard you can make a lot of money off it.

16. bob19922

bob19922 New Member

Old bridge
    Also another pointer if you are going to work somewhere it helps to go there often. Me and my friend are only 14 and the rock gym we go to is willing to hire us when we turn 15. We go there often and doing that got us acquainted with the people that work there.

17. soviet

soviet New Member

Well my dad owns a shop. I work there. I get $2.00 an hour. But considering I just turned 15 it's better than nothing.

www.ltaprojects.com

^thats my dads business.

18. stroop66

stroop66 New Member

Ok so I put a money thread up but the thing is im looking to get a job but I dont have one, and in the mean time I wanna make money. So its completely diffrent

19. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Another important part of job hunting is your Resumé (or a similar thing Curicullum Vitae, CV). Proper spelling is a must, isn't it, kids?

BRT, I was wondering; do you not know what the difference between "their", "there", "they're", "they" and "thay" is? While your post might make sense to you, it will not to a sixteen year old kid from Europe that barely speaks English and only learned the latter as a second language.

You see, people who are not native to English (or any other language, for that matter) do not understand written English they same way they do understand the spoken one. Because while all those words sound the same, they have a different meaning. Try to take that into account.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  20. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    Hehehehehe isn't* :)