How to make a gun wall rack?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by cdaryl, Sep 16, 2012.

1. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Hi, as my airsoft collection increases, I need a better way to store my guns. I'm thinking of making a gun wall rack but where do you get the piece of metal from? and any other good ways to store guns?

2. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    What piece of metal? I use a gun cabinet. Works nicely.

3. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Peg board......
    I had a thread somewhere.
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes or where ever.

You'll need 1 peg board, the size depends on you. 1x2 strips of wood as a back border for the peg board, screws, and hooks.
    It's quite simple and should take about an hour to fully assemble from scratch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind these pics are from YEARS ago.

Here are some relevant threads: http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f13/peg-board-hooks-14232/
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f38/how-do-i-didplay-my-guns-55408/
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f38/how-do-i-didplay-my-guns-55408/

Additional details can be found if you google "Peg Board"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Thanks!!! I would definitely try that out!

5. backyardsn1per

backyardsn1per New Member

Fennimore
    Make sure you screw the peg board into a stud. You may want to invest in a stud finder.

6. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    I wish I had the wall space for something like that! but I am just going to make a floor type rack that I can fold up and bring with me to games.

7. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Ok, but what kind of hooks will hold up the guns? the hooks seem a bit too weak? But thanks a lot anyways! It is like my dream to make a wall of guns :D

But just wondering, there IS smaller size pegboards right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  8. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    cdaryl,

Please use the edit button instead of making two posts in a row.

You can probably find peg board sheets in any common plywood size or have the lumber yard cut one down for you. You'd be looking at 4x8, 4x4, or 2x4. You can also get a 4x8 sheet and cut it yourself with a table saw or circular saw. 4x8 really isn't that big if you have a few rifles to hang.

9. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Sorry... Thanks... But my wall isn't big enough for 4x8ft? I don't really know. Will measure later.

10. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    For the hooks, these are what I used.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Hardware-819620-20-Piece-Assorted-Pegboard-Hooks/19867849
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lehigh-1832A-6-32-Piece-Assorted-Pegboard-Hook-Kit/19870459
    Piece of advice, go medium and long instead or short. The short hooks aren't the best for holding guns.

In terms of sizes. There's a reason man made the saw. I used a jig-saw to cut my boards and 1x2 sticks. You can also get it cut at Home Depot for a small charge.
    Remember measure TWICE, cut once.

Also word of advice, don't build the wall over your bed. I tried that, someone downstairs slammed a door and my M249 fell on my bed. Luckily I wasn't in it.

11. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    Lol. Glad you're alright. I won't put it on the wall next to my bed... Is your m249 alright? Thanks for the link. Helps a lot. But I'm not sure if the hooks will hold... I was hoping for a good way to store my guns... If it broke its gonna be ironic.

12. cdaryl

cdaryl New Member

Hong Kong
    That's looks pretty nice but not what I'm
    Looking for.

13. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    The issue was the hooks were too small, so it never was properly held to begin with. Instead of using longer hooks, I was lazy and simply didn't. The gun was fine.
    Just make sure the hooks are through the trigger "hole", and the gun is supported by the front and back stock.
    Pistols take some creativity to mount right-side up.

If you need ideas, go to a gun shop, or one of those renaissance shops in the mall and view how they mount their guns, knives, and other weapons.

Those hooks I previously posted held about 25 pounds on the wall I made. I stopped at 25 pounds because the board started to "rip" because the weight was only on 1 hook instead of having the weight spread out.
    1 person holding 100 pounds feels like 100 pounds, multiple people holding a single 100 pound weight, feels like nothing.