How to smoothen

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by xShockerx01, Oct 9, 2012.

1. xShockerx01

xShockerx01 New Member

Was wondering what I should use to make my cocking mechanism smoother?

2. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

3. xShockerx01

xShockerx01 New Member

Thanks! I might do that when I have time

4. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    silicone oil, also I believe you can buy a teflon-coated bolt as well.

5. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Um....read again what he said....
    "After I pull the bolt back, I can cycle it by tilting the rifle forward!"
    No, you can NOT cycle it just by tilting....he used his hands to pull the bolt back first....

6. FSTK

FSTK Member

You interpreted the word "cycle" wrong;

The main point is that the friction between the cylinder and the bolt chamber is reduced significantly throughout the motion. That implies that pulling the bolt back should be easier as well. Obviously it will not as easy as letting gravity pull a spring that because that would require more force than gravity's natural pull. But it's reasonable to assume it will be easier to pull back the bolt because the friction is reduced which is illustrated by showing how easy it is to slide the bolt forward under gravity's influence only. Thus the statement.

Maybe it's because your sig implied you've worked on gas rifles more than spring rifles that might have caused you to assume that the cycling-step of a rifle is one motion only. It is not. There's the cocking-step which includes pulling back the spring on a spring rifle to lock the piston or/and pulling the hammer back in a gas rifle to prime the firing pin, then the cycling-step. Other than that, I cannot see how you could've misinterpreted that statement as it was very clear to me what he meant.

7. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Um....I have no idea where did you get that idea from...

READ MY POST AGAIN
    "After I pull the bolt back, I can cycle it by tilting the rifle forward!" (Quoted from that other thread thus the "" exist)
    No, you can NOT cycle it just by tilting....he used his hands to pull the bolt back first....

Or are you going to tell me that he couldn't say "I can return the bolt just by tilting the gun"?

Clearly I stated that cycling includes pulling the bolt back and forward....
    Cycling:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47mPQjjGrns[/ame]

My Sig? APS-2 is a spring rifle...so is the Sun Project M40

Maybe you just can't read properly?

Do people seriously don't understand the meaning of quotation marks?

You really think that I'm that stupid?
    My Sig simply says what I do and what guns I have.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  8. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Let's everybody calm down just a bit here and start using our nice voices.

For what it's worth, Edi1st is right here (and believe me, he'd have to be really freaking right for me to admit it). A cycle, by definition, is a full circuit, a completion of a circular process. In nature, water cycles by evaporating, condensing, and raining. Rain itself is not a completion of the water cycle. For it to be a cycle, all three steps have to take place. For a bolt action rifle, "cycling the bolt" refers to both drawing it back and returning it forward. Pushing the bolt forward is a part of the cycle, but it's not the entirety of the cycle. Drawing it back is the other half of that cycle.

9. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Maybe 1% freaking out.
    We just disagree on some of the stuff.

10. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Bro, you're the one who reported the argument. What did you want us to do?

11. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Uh, I meant between you and I.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Ah, I gotcha, that's probably a fair assessment.

13. FSTK

FSTK Member

I think a good dremal with the right diameter for both sanding and buffing along with some Brasso from Home Depot should achieve a smiliar effect.