How to USE your Gas Magazine (updated)

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by adas1223, Jul 6, 2018.

1. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Edit 9/10/2018: per the KWA priming video, they depress the valve at the beginning ONLY to push the air out of the reservoir (so there is no air/gas mix, versus 100% propane or GG) Thats also a good idea, but forcing a temprature difference to make the mag colder, will transfer more gas into the mag.

From what I've come across lately are people who are unsure of how to use Gas magazines in general. either which gases they can use, how to fill them, store them.

LINK FROM 2012 i remember when this thread started, i believed it, but now i realize its full of misinformation

There obviously is a sticky in this forum ESSENTIAL GAS GUN GUIDE
    and this one ESSENTIAL GAS GUIDE some great info in there, yet also some outdated.

Also, if you techs have anything substantial to add, leave a reply and ill organize it in the original post.

should go over which gas to use, should we really be adding oil to our propane? what kind of lubricant. how to lube. how to fill and prep. etc

I'll throw up my own video of priming gas magazines for optimum fill soon. I made some mistakes though: didnt have a thermometer that read low enough. Didnt let the magazines reach ambient temperature after the fill. regardless, an unprimed magazine can only shoot 30rds, vs a primed shooting 48rds

(if i let the primed magazine return to temp, and shot slower, I could most likely get 60 full power shots, aka 3 mags) priming vid:

Also, someone on reddit used a scale to measure gas efficiency on his GBBR. weighing magazine before and after a mag dump. very interesting results. the comments are more interesting.

maybe we can get a running list of different stock guns/pistols gas efficiency.

more to come... gas techs, fire away

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    link0 likes this.
  2. adas1223

stratford
    What i usually recommend to people with green Gas guns is to use straight propane dry, then lube your rails and gas route bucking, barrel block, hammer with a thin film of motor oil. use rubber safe oil (like motor oil, synthetic or not) and only rub it on the gas route packing to allow the nozzle to slide over it better

You dont want lubrication making its way through your nozzle to your hop up packing, unless you like loosing range.

Prime your magazines with a 2 sec injection of propane and hit the release valve to chill your magazine for optimum gas intake. once you fill for 10sec+ (until you hear the filling stopped) put them aside to return to temp (or in your pocket for a higher temp start up)

for storage, just leave it completely dry. I bought 3 prowin v2 magazine which sat in storage for 8 years dry. I left my magazines for 3 years dry. They all work Perfectly and seals looks fine.

let me know what you think of this procedure and/or if you use a different procedure.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    link0 likes this.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    "lube your rails and gas route bucking,"

Why would you tell someone to lube the gas route packing? Some of those items are made of "rubber" and certain lubricants are not friendly to the material.

If you know that material is inert to lubricants sure...but 99.8% of the Gas Gun users our there are rather..."inexperienced".

adas1223 likes this.
  4. adas1223

stratford
    motor oil is quite safe for rubber (if theyre still made from rubber). heck, it was made not to degrade rubber. WHY lube a gas route? thats the part which contacts the nozzle.

Thats why most Gbbr magazines buckings are all chewed up. its not a fitment issue in most cases. LUBE your rubbers boys, just dont get any in the hole!

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    If you specifically cite to use rubber safe oil and only rub it on the gas route packing to allow the nozzle to slide over it better...sure...I can agree with that recommendation.

adas1223 likes this.
  6. adas1223

stratford
    fixed post. in bold. keep them coming

next: which propane gas smells better, blue bottle or green

caps_11_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And it's a packing...don't start calling all pneumatic "rubber" seals, gaskets, grommets and pieces a "bucking" now too.

Downs and adas1223 like this.
  8. Honeybadgerz17

Honeybadgerz17 Well-Known Member

Bellevue
    I'm going to be moving over to propane soon, what's the most cost efficient way to go about this. I heard you can refill the small green bottles with the big blue rhino ones that you buy for grilling

9. adas1223

stratford
    yes they sell adapters for around $25 @ outdoor stores. I saw one last week at my local Basspro shop. I leave the Grill tank out in the sun, and stick the coleman bottles in the freezer for a few hours.

You'll see the temp change dramatically fast during the gas exchange. the frost turns into a condensation within a few seconds. go ahead and pop the coleman bottles in the freezer again and repeat to top it off.

10. adas1223

stratford
    Here are the scale readings of (2) KSC g17 magzines i own. They are both roughly 70 degrees and so is the propane bottle.

empty

IMG_20180708_154501.jpg

no priming
    IMG_20180708_154621.jpg

Priming with a 2 sec charge, then release.

IMG_20180708_154754.jpg

As for the shot count, 3.6g of Propane will yield me 42 full power shots @ 1 sec intevals, until the slide stopped locking back (barely 2 magazines)

@ 6.8g of propane, i'll admit i started rushing and fired at a higher rate, and lost count after 65 shots! lol! more than 3 mags worth of bb's.

BTW the blue bottles smell Less than the colemans.

11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That is what I am saying...Bernzomatic is not as stinky as Coleman...but Coleman is cheaper.