HPA Tank in Danger - Help or I might Die

Discussion in 'Classic Guns' started by la999, Jan 1, 2013.

1. la999

la999 New Member

Fairfax
    I hope this is going in the right area since it's dealing with HPA and I have a classic. So here is a little background to the story. I recently got a 3000 psi HPA tank and wanted to fill it. I use a 4500 psi scuba tank to fill my tanks via QD and other components as you probably know. This HPA tank has been giving me problems though. So I connect it to the scuba tank and start filling. I hear the click and everything and fill it to about 2.5k. It's reading a little higher on the psi gauge on the component that connect to the scuba tank than the psi gauge on the 3000 psi hpa tank. Once I hear the hissing stop (this is below 3k psi) I turn the valve off on the scuba tank. I proceed to slowly unscrew the bleed value on the component and it keeps releasing air while dropping the psi at a steady rate on the 3000 psi hpa tank! The bleeding is stealing the psi from the hpa tank. I presume the input nipple on the small HPA is FUBAR and allowing air from the tank to go back through the QD line and out the bleed valve? I'm planning on saying bye bye to the HPA tank as it's a cheap one and upgrading to a better carbon fiber one or I will replace the input valve. I'm planning on not dying so hopefully someone could help me with my rookie mistakes. The scuba tank and hpa tank are chilling in my room with high amounts of air between them, so I would enjoy some feedback on what to do with this ticking time bomb of mine.

2. ncore

ncore New Member

Pittsburgh
    Wait, if the hpa tank is slowly leaking air, it shouldn't explode. Its high pressures increasing that makes things *pop*, not high pressures decreasing.

If you take an empty, tightly closed soda bottle and hold it over a fire and roll it in your hand, pressure will build up and the bottle will get tight. If you take it off the fire, its not going to explode. Only when you leave it in a circumstance where the pressure will gradually increase will there be a greater chance for the bottle to explode.

Same thing for your air tanks. As long as pressure is not magically increasing, nothing will explode. If you are that scared, take them outside. It will probably be colder and if anything happens, the air will contract and the pressure will lower.

3. la999

la999 New Member

Fairfax
    Yea, just found that the o ring in the input nipple was messing up. Fixed that, and the tank is fine atm. Thanks.

4. G36fanatic...

G36fanatic... Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boulder
    check the hydro date too, always make sure the tank is within current hydro check.

5. lazergrenade

lazergrenade New Member

Can someone please ban this guy?

6. la999

la999 New Member

Fairfax
    Ban me? I don't see why since I had a legitiment question and got it answered...

7. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    Notice he quoted someone... He wasn't talking to you...