Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I used airsoft for training of my team in the US Army back in 1993 when simunitions ran low and airsoft choices were very limited. I have since moved to a tiny island in the Caribbean off the coast of Honduras called Utila. I am a PADI Master Instructor, and the diving is the main reason we moved here. Besides diving, drinking and the obvious overwhelming beauty of our island, there is not much else to do, so I decided to start an airsoft business here for islanders as well as the many tourists we get coming to our island every year.
Airsoft in our location is a different animal than in the States, so I decided it would be fun to kind of "blog" my experiences in getting this up and running (or crash and burn, we will see......) for your entertainment.
Obviously, being on a little island, I am not trying to sell anything to anyone - this is strictly for entertainment and possibly learning from what I do right or wrong in this process.
I will update this often and try to keep it current as this process will involve months of time - in fact it already has - to get it up and running. If you want to read this, GREAT! I hope you are entertained and if you have suggestions, I would love to hear them as we go. If it's not your thing, then simply pass it by. It should be interesting.
Right now, I need to go diving, so will put the first real installment to this thread up this afternoon. I know, I know - you can hardly wait........ :D
Thanks, and let's have some frustrating laughs together.
Sarge

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, dive complete so let's get this rolling a bit.
I guess I will plug in with the standard "who,what,where,when,why and how" template:
Who - Everyone knows me as Sarge. Former E-7 and shoot and scoot team leader for the US Army.
What - Starting an airsoft field for entertainment. Airsoft is known on the mainland in minor ways, but it is largely unknown and new to this area.
Where - A tiny island off the coast of Honduras called Utila. 3 miles wide and 7 miles long, but much of the interior is soft, almost swampy, so is unusable for much of anything. The island is PERFECT for divers as it is completely surrounded by reef and gorgeous, clear, warm water year round. Because of this, we have thousands of tourists come here for varying lengths of time throughout the year. Full time resident population is around 5,000, but that is matched or exceeded by tourists at any given time.
When - I, along with my partner Nico, have been working on this idea and researching it for three months already. We are at the point of actually applying for the municipality's needed permit and moving forward to get this done.
Why - With all of the aforementioned tourists on island, the area is lacking much to do if you are not diving. Drinking and hanging out on a beach and eating can only occupy so much time before you start looking for other activities. My mindset says "who doesn't like shooting people?", so here we are. I think this will be a growing outlet for everyone who visits our island, which makes it's income potential fairly hefty, if done well and right.
How - Here is where it gets tricky........ "Weapons" are pretty much controlled in Honduras. I have resident status, and with that can legally own one pistol and one shotgun. Shipping "weapons" into Honduras is strictly controlled. We have hired a lawyer who has searched the law and tells us that there is nothing forbidding airsoft platforms as they use NO explosive material at all and are basically air powered. There are actually airsoft stores in Tegucigulpa and San Pedro, but their stock is largely spring pistols and small platforms. There are airsoft teams on mainland also, but not many. The sticking point is that airsoft platforms LOOK like real weapons. A customs agent not familiar with airsoft could instantly sieze any of our shipments thinking that real weapons are being "smuggled" into the country. Even though in simply picking one up, you can tell is it NOT a real weapon, this is still a large possibility. Throw in the fact that the whole customs gig is rampantly corrupt and you have a recipe for disappointment. We have NO mail here. None. Nada. Zip. Seriously, NO mail. We do have international shipping for things like Amazon orders that come in on ships and are inspected by customs agents. It takes about 5 weeks from amazon's delivery to the shipper to the items arriving on island. Spending money on and bringing in these airsoft platforms is the biggest worry in this whole situation. They could be siezed, or just as likely, a customs agent could hold them for ransom. Not an uncommon practice here. More on how we are working around this in a later post.
That wraps up the basics. In following posts, I will outline our order for equipment to get this started and what we are doing to ensure that the customs nightmare does not happen.
Hang in there, it will get good shortly.
Sarge

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airsoft in Honduras vs. Airsoft in the States and Canada:
Because of the regulations and headaches of bringing in airsoft platforms, very few people here will ever OWN their own setups. That means that we, as the business owners not only provide the field to play on, but also the platforms, eye pro, face pro and BB's as part of the business. This is good for us as that means more income for us - people have to rent our gear to play on our field. A good thing!
Our target price is $40 per player and includes everything they need to play for a 3 hour session that will consist of however many different scenarios we have time for. We need to keep our sessions "in synch" with dive boat schedules so that we can draw divers in as well as everyone else.
One great thing about Honduras as opposed to the USA or Canada for this is that there is no provision in Honduran law for someone to sue another person for their injuries, unless those injuries are a direct result of blatant action by the other party. Basically, we have everyone sign a waiver and that's it, they cannot sue us if they are injured on the field or playing the game. A nice thing to have. Also, there is NO liability insurance sold in Honduras due to this, so we do not incur insurance costs at all. Couldn't even if we wanted too. :D
The leading candidate for our business name so far is "Utila Airsoft - Jungle Warfare". Jungle is what we have in spades, so let's use it!
Because of the aforementioned shipping times of supplies at 5 weeks, we need to keep on top of the basics like BB supply (we are using exclusively Biodegradable brands), spare parts, replacement equipment etc as there is no such thing as running to the airsoft store to pick more up. Also, I will need to become a fairly proficient airsoft platform tech so that repairs and even rebuilds can be done here.
I think that covers the large differences between airsoft in N. Ammerica vs. Honduras. As others come up I can post them or we can discuss them.
Next post - our initial order to get things moving!
Sarge

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, after researching what is available through Amazon (remember our shipping difficulties to get items here), here is our initial order. We will place this order hopefully starting tomorrow after a meeting with the Island mayor (more on what this is for later). The exceptions to Amazon are things that I cannot resist having for myself - Novritsch SSG10 A2, and also his SSX23 setup, along with various accessories for these platforms. Hopefully, these all make it through our shipping company without hassle from customs. Again, more on that later.
Here we go:
8 Lancer Tactical Gen 3 M4 SD's
18 Titan 3000mAh 7.4 v batteries
4 Titan digital chargers
4 ASG CZ75 pistols (used to train the police force here, more on that later as well)
12 OUTTAC mesh face and ear protectors with goggles
2 Evike mesh eye pro (for me and my partner)
10 Lancer midcap M4 mags
1 scope cam 2
2 different mounts for the runcam 2
1 ACETECH chrono
6 whistles (signal game start/stop)
4 speed loaders
4 2 way radios for marshalls
48 armbands for team ID
4 orange vests for Marshalls
1 4x16 scope for the SSG10 A2
120,000 0.20 gram biodegradable BB's
5000 .43 gm BB's for the SSG10 A2
3000 .36 gm BB's for the SSX23
1 ghillie suit
1 pair lightweight 3d camo gloves
100% silicone oil
Propane adapters for fills from 20 pound tank and 1 pound tank
40 CO2 cartridges for the CZ pistols
2 pair tactical camo pants since all I have are shorts :)
1 tactical belt for the pants as I don't need belts for shorts. :D
1 Boots since all I have are water shoes :)
Various precision screwdrivers and tools for upkeep and platform repair

That rounds out the initial order from Amazon. More items coming from Novritsch, but this is the bulk of it.
Total order is about $4,300 (not including the Novritsch platforms and items) plus shipping which will be around $400 to get it here.
Next post - what we are doing to ensure we get this done at an island level.
Sarge

· Premium Member
356 Posts
Hey man, good luck with your endeavor! My sister-in-law is from Honduras so when we make it down there we'll have to plan a trip to the island.

1 ACETECH chrono
Given your shipping difficulties you'll want a backup. "2 is 1, 1 is none".

40 CO2 cartridges for the CZ pistols
Go with green gas pistols. They will last longer.

10 Lancer midcap M4 mags
You'll want more. They break, people lose them, etc.

6 whistles (signal game start/stop)
Airhorns? No sure how much area you'll be covering but you probably wouldn't hear whistles at the fields I play at here in the Northeast US. Especially if folks are engaged in a firefight with AEGs.

4 speed loaders
If you'll be loading lots of midcap mags for renters in between games you should also purchase the Odin speedloaders.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, what are we doing to make this happen at the ground level on our island?
When my wife and I moved here, we promised ourselves that we would give more to the island than we ever took from it. In keeping with that, and with my background, I am training the police force here in various tactics, both offensive and defensive. They literally have ZERO training in anything at all, so this is and has been challenging. We are making progress though. Also, they had sidearms, but no rounds for them and on top of that, none of them had ever fired a weapon at all - so that had a maximum effective range of ZERO meters right there. Since we have been there, I have been working to get them training from mainland Honduras police forces in specifically weapons handling, safety and tactics. I have that arranged for later this year (it took a lot of work and persistence). That brings us to the CZ75 airsoft pistols in the order - one of the selling points to our local Mayor, who has to approve this entire thing, is my previous work training the police department, and now also the possibility of doing rudimentary weapons training with these platforms. Trigger control, muzzle control (largely lost on airsofters :D) etc and basic shoot/no shoot scenario training is possible if we get this approved. On top of all of that, I have also started and organized a volunteer fire department with donations of equipment we were able to procure from the States. They HAD a fire department, but it has been dormant for the last 10 years. Something the island really needed, and now has. Because of this background work, the Mayor knows me well and also greatly appreciates what we have done on behalf of the island. I am meeting with him tomorrow to clue him into this whole idea of an airsoft business here on the island as he is the one that needs to approve it. Hiim being on our side also has the large benefit of helping with customs. He has connections with the head of the customs agency - the guy who gets the call if there are any questions on an item. This is invaluable as if our shipments get stopped or seized, we at least have someone in a position of "power" that is on our side and will try to get it straightened out for us.
So, what we HAVE done:
Research to ensure that airsoft platforms are legal in Honduras.
Set up a meeting with the Mayor prior to submitting our official business application for the island.
I have a lot purchased that we will eventually build our house on, but for now will serve as our field. A little challenging as it's on a hill overlooking the ocean with a view of Roatan - it's a little "uneven" but will work nicely for a start.
Through working with them the last 3 years, garnered good will with the powers that be on the island and islanders both.
We have our residency completed so that we CAN start a business here.

What we have yet to do:
Submit our application for the business license
Actually make the Amazon and Novritsch orders (just waiting on the warm fuzzy from the Mayor to do this).
Come up with our own briefings, safety rules and all other policies needed to get this done.
One million other little things (find marshalls, transport to location etc etc etc)

Okay, that should be it with the dry background stuff. I think now we can start real time updates as they happen, as I believe you are current now.
This should be fun!
Sarge

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man, good luck with your endeavor! My sister-in-law is from Honduras so when we make it down there we'll have to plan a trip to the island.

Given your shipping difficulties you'll want a backup. "2 is 1, 1 is none".

Go with green gas pistols. They will last longer.

You'll want more. They break, people lose them, etc.

Airhorns? No sure how much area you'll be covering but you probably wouldn't hear whistles at the fields I play at here in the Northeast US. Especially if folks are engaged in a firefight with AEGs.

If you'll be loading lots of midcap mags for renters in between games you should also purchase the Odin speedloaders.
All good stuff, thanks! Many of these things we have already considered and taken care of. Once we get to the point of bringing in ANY money, more platforms of varying styles will be coming. The pistols in the order are 95% for training the police force here, and will either not be used at all up front for the airsoft field, or at least very little. I plan on going green gas for platforms brought in for field use.
Thanks for the ideas! It would be great if we get this going, if you could make it for a game or two (and of course a few dives)!

· Administrator
13,014 Posts
Funny enough my parents were in your neck of the woods earlier this week. They're on the tail end of a cruise that hit Belize and Roatan. Looking at google maps I think your island is a bit bigger than 3x7 ;) Edit: Nvm, google maps is highly misleading. Yeah 17 sq miles is small.

Are you planning an indoor facility or planning an outdoor field? That may be in there somewhere but if it is I missed it.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny enough my parents were in your neck of the woods earlier this week. They're on the tail end of a cruise that hit Belize and Roatan. Looking at google maps I think your island is a bit bigger than 3x7 ;) Edit: Nvm, google maps is highly misleading. Yeah 17 sq miles is small.

Are you planning an indoor facility or planning an outdoor field? That may be in there somewhere but if it is I missed it.

Yeah, Roatan is bigger (long and skinny), but Utila is pretty small. The smallest of the 3 "Bay Islands". Outdoor all the way! It is in one of the setup posts, but I don't expect many to read all of that. :D We have a lot on the only hill on the island called Pumpkin Hill that overlooks the ocean and is where we will eventually build our house. For now it will serve as our Jungle Warfare field if all of this comes through. Time will tell......... ;)
Sarge

· Registered
Paintball Sportsland, CZ Airsoft, Tactical Airsoft Arena
881 Posts
Wishing you luck man! Sounds like a great project.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Real time update for today 07JAN23.
Just had a private meeting with the Mayor this morning. I went over what airsoft is, what we want to do and also covered how I can use these very things to continue to train the local police force in the very basics of weapons handling and use. With my history of doing things to help the island in general, he assured me that the business license was a go once submitted (he is the approving authority on that), and also that he would assist me IF customs happens to snag any of our supplies in the shipping process to the island.
The way Amazon has our large order grouped, I have to time making the order in stages so that all these things can arrive at the shippers in between boats. We pay shipping minimums even if it's a 6 oz bag of whistles that show up alone, so this is important. I have made the first of what appears will be 4 orders through Amazon. The first one contains the Lancer Tactical platforms, the face and eye pro, CO2 cartridges for the training pistols, the extra magazines for the M4's, and the batteries for the M4's. Things are moving now! After months of planning and waiting and research, things are actually starting to come together!
Still many things to do, but now we can proceed with them. Next up - getting the packet together for the business license meeting.
More to come later!
Sarge

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
2S Titans...not good batteries...over priced for what you get.

Mesh Eye Pro...never...how much are your eyes worth?

Most of the Amazon Airsoft items is over priced low grade items.

Ummm...did you actually know Honduras has banned Airsoft?

"Countries such as North Korea, Yemen, Syria, Honduras, Singapore, and Turkmenistan have banned the use of airsofts."

Confirmed by using the Airsoft Station Reference...

Won't even ship to Honduras...

You may need to go the Gel Blaster Route if that is even legal.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2S Titans...not good batteries...over priced for what you get.

Mesh Eye Pro...never...how much are your eyes worth?

Most of the Amazon Airsoft items is over priced low grade items.

Ummm...did you actually know Honduras has banned Airsoft?

"Countries such as North Korea, Yemen, Syria, Honduras, Singapore, and Turkmenistan have banned the use of airsofts."

Confirmed by using the Airsoft Station Reference...

Won't even ship to Honduras...

You may need to go the Gel Blaster Route if that is even legal.
We had heard about the supposed banning of airsoft when we started doing our research into this. The facts we uncovered are that there are indeed airsoft stores in both Tegucigulpa (the capitol of Honduras) and San Pedro Sula as well as other locations. Airsoft teams and leagues exist on the mainland also. We hired a lawyer to double check the laws for us and they came back with no laws currently on the books that forbid or make airsoft illegal in any way. Our conclusion is that there may have been something at some point in time, but since has been changed as it does not exist in current law. Also we suspect that airsoft stores etc simply don't like to deal with the difficulties of shipping to Honduras over other areas, so they just keep riding that when it is outdated.
We are happy with our selections after doing much research online, talking to people in the States that have these items etc. Remember, these are starting units and basically "rentals" for us as no one here has any of their own gear. They may not be up to personal ownership, regular player standards, but here, they will be fine. I appreciate your input though, learning comes from ALL input, not just good or bad, but all of it. If and when things start growing, we will probably opt for varied platforms of various brands etc.
Sarge out

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
The main issue with learning from others is that you are assuming they are knowledgeable. 80% of the US player base is not knowledgeable about decent Airsoft equipment and consumables.

This is due to the fact that the distributors are themselves ignorant and that most items are sold on Hype. Like Titan batteries and the charger they peddle at 4 times the price of similar units.

On this thread we dissect the Titans and see that the ones that you are getting is going to barely be able to power your LT AEG's.

There are just better things to get at a better price...and whoever guided you to mesh eye wear...honestly...that is a really bad recommendation.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The main issue with learning from others is that you are assuming they are knowledgeable. 80% of the US player base is not knowledgeable about decent Airsoft equipment and consumables.

This is due to the fact that the distributors are themselves ignorant and that most items are sold on Hype. Like Titan batteries and the charger they peddle at 4 times the price of similar units.
Can't answer for the Titan batteries, you may well be right. These batteries will see use on a smaller scale as any airsoft field in the States, and hopefully if we do find out they are no good we will be able to order something else or even have them brought to us from the States with tourists coming to the island.
As for the main platforms, we got acquainted with a number of established "techs" that build, rebuild and repair etc all types of platforms. Many of them were happy to answer questions for us as they think it is a cool project. We specifically tried to avoid anyone with a "fanboy" reputation for or against in favor of those who worked on many types and brands for years. Back when I was knee deep in this stuff, Tokyo Marui was the best of the best and everything else was crap that you couldn't get two shots in a row out of, but that was 1993. A lot has changed since then. We have tried to do our due diligence. Again, thanks for the input!

· Registered
83 Posts
I second some of the things here, particularly the mesh facepro... I would be very hesitant, it isn't all that safe. Why mesh, humidity and fogging an issue? I assume with all the diving going on that y'all probably have some decent antifog lol. Jokes aside, from a safety perspective alone, mesh eyepro isn't the way to go.

Curious about the legality as well. I've spent a decent amount of time in Honduras, albeit not in Utila, and my impression of what was "legal" and what was "allowed" can often times be two very different things if you catch my meaning. With that said, I don't live there like you do, so I'm no expert hahah. Cool to have such a strong connection with the mayor, however. If it were in the states, having a written paper trail of approvals would go a long way in defending your business should legal issues come up.

A little confused, is this entirely a rental business or how is this working? You kind of touched on it, but it was a touch vague. When it comes to rentals here, most places I've been to only supply you with an M4 (KWA a lot of the time I've noticed), a 300rnd high cap, full facepro, and BBs.

BTW, if you want someone to bring down some batteries, feel free to fly me out, I'd be happy to throw some batteries in my carry on 😁

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I second some of the things here, particularly the mesh facepro... I would be very hesitant, it isn't all that safe. Why mesh, humidity and fogging an issue? I assume with all the diving going on that y'all probably have some decent antifog lol. Jokes aside, from a safety perspective alone, mesh eyepro isn't the way to go.

Curious about the legality as well. I've spent a decent amount of time in Honduras, albeit not in Utila, and my impression of what was "legal" and what was "allowed" can often times be two very different things if you catch my meaning. With that said, I don't live there like you do, so I'm no expert hahah. Cool to have such a strong connection with the mayor, however. If it were in the states, having a written paper trail of approvals would go a long way in defending your business should legal issues come up.

A little confused, is this entirely a rental business or how is this working? You kind of touched on it, but it was a touch vague. When it comes to rentals here, most places I've been to only supply you with an M4 (KWA a lot of the time I've noticed), a 300rnd high cap, full facepro, and BBs.

BTW, if you want someone to bring down some batteries, feel free to fly me out, I'd be happy to throw some batteries in my carry on 😁

Haha! If we need batteries, I will keep that generous offer in mind! :D
We have plenty of goggles and other eye pro here and coming both, so I will definitely keep the two of you who recommended against using mesh in mind. You are right, they eyes are VERY important.
As for legality - you are right. There is legal, then there is what is allowed. Our island, while under the umbrella of "Honduras" is fiercely independent. In fact a great way to get punched in the face is to go up to a Utilan and tell them they are Honduran. Instant fight starter. With all of the legal checking we have done at the federal Honduras level, I am confident that what we are bringing in is fully legal and does not violate any current laws. Our biggest concern in shipping is the customs agent that is over exuberant in their duties and seizes everything without even checking as the "weapons" look very realistic. The Mayor has strong contacts with "The Colonel" who is in charge of customs, and who is the one that makes the calls on what gets in and what doesn't if an issue is raised. Great to have the Mayor on our side! Also, in all of the many, many things we have shipped in to our home here from the States, we have NEVER had a box opened at all. Certain shippers have "Deals" with customs and ours of choice is one. The police chief here (that I train by the way) told me that the odds of anything being inspected through them is very low. It all stacks up in our favor, however that does not guarantee that this will all make it here. A chance we are taking, obviously.
As for the setup - No one here has ANY airsoft gear. In fact, being on the island, we are lucky if they have proper shoes and long pants. We are a Caribbean Island after all. Because of that, our plan is to provide all airsoft related materials to the people that come to the field to play. That means the weapon platform, bb's (in hi cap magazines so we can limit full auto etc), eye and face pro. We will have 3 hour sessions for $40. We will play an many scenarios as we can in that timed period with rest/reload time in between scenarios. Does that explain it a little better? Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Sarge

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Real time update for 08JAN23.
Just placed the second, and largest part of the order with Amazon. Broke things into different parts because of the shipping times from Amazon - I want everything to arrive as close together as possible at our international shipper so that it all makes the same boat if possible. Ships leave every Thursday and it saves money and frustration to have everything together. All that is left to order is one of the propane adapters for mag fills from a 1 pound, whistles, vests, and then the first Novritsch order containing the SSX23, suppressor, and a few other items they had that I liked. They are out of stock on the SSG10 A2 with short barrel, as well as the suppressor for that and the extra magazines, so will have to order those on their own as they become available again. Novritsch isn't sure when they will be back in stock, so I will just have to keep checking back.
We are working on a logo. If anyone has a great logo designer that they like, I would love a referral! So far, thinking "Utila Airsoft" arched over the top and "Jungle Warfare" arched underneath, with crossed M4 SD's over a set of facepro in the forefront with crossing palm trees and the ocean in the background behind the entire logo. Just shooting ideas at this point to see what we like and what sticks.
That's it for today.
Sarge out.

· Premium Member
810 Posts
I dabble in logo designing... busy as heck but would love to throw something together if I can find time. No payment though, strictly pro-bono lol.

Everything looks in order though, as mentioned be careful with mesh eye pro, Lancer Tactical should be ok for now, but you may want something a bit nicer at some point.

What are your plans if someone comes with their own gear? I'd imagine you'd want to get onto a Honduras "recreation guide" website, and if an airsofter sees that and is planning to go to Honduras you may want provisions/rules regarding that.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts