I need some advice on my first gun build

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Zardichar, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Zardichar

Zardichar New Member Supporting Member

NW
    Hey guys!
    I am quite new to the forum, and I have decided that it is time to purchase some gear of my own, starting with a gun.
    Since this is my first time picking out a gun, I would like all of you guys' help.

Based on several recommendations, I have decided to use the JG M4 enhanced as a base for the build.
    I will be doing the following upgrades to it:
    • Aoe Correction with a sorbo pad
    • Reshim
    • Regrease
    • Rewire with silicone wire 16awg and deans connectors
    • 7.4v lipo
    • lonex soft hop up bucking
    • madbull black python 6.03mm barrel
    • r hop
    • m nubs
    • new o ring for piston
    Also, my field requires the FPS to be under 350, so I have chosen the Magic Box M100 spring (wanted to use Guarder or Systema, but they were not in stock). Would this be sufficient? Or maybe I would have to short stroke 1 or 2 teeth?
    For the grease, I have heard good things about Associated Green Slime for the gb and silicone oil spray for spraying in side the mag well and for cleaning the barrel. Are these good choices? Any other (possibly more economical) lubes I should use instead?
    For magazines, I am getting MAG brand, as they have quite a good reputation and for the battery, it is a Zippy Compact from Hobby King. Shims from Systema, BB's from Elite Force.
    Ideally I would like to order from only ASGI, Clandestine, and HK to reduce shipping costs. My budget for the gun only is approximately $250 to $300.
    Anything is fine with me, so long as the budget agrees and the performance will be up to par. (ex. I heard good things about the Lonex AEG, but idk if it has same perfomance as the JG with upgrades for the same price.)

Also, just some other sort of off topic advice that I need: I have about $500 for now for airsoft and I idk if I should just use it for the stuff excluding clothes like (gun, upgrades, bbs, mask, battery, charger) and just buy the other stuff (bdu, vest, pouches, shemagh, etc) later.
    I really don't want to buy a new gun later on and I want my gear to last. I kind of want to take advantage of all the New Year's sales right now (ASGI 20% off, etc) to save some money. Is $500 enough to satisfy these things (no new gun for later, tac gear, quality stuff)? or would I be better off with the saving up and buying the other stuff later?

Thank you to those who read the whole thing and especially to those who reply!

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like you got a pretty solid plan for this, unlike many others. :)

3. Zardichar

NW
    Thanks, do you have any tips or any advice on the questions I asked?

4. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little... Moderator

Massachusetts
    Everything looks like you came well prepared and knowledgable into this project, I will look over your list one more time to double check though.

5. rblevinski

rblevinski Active Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    To start, just get some cheap camo and your gun. You can decide what to do with your money from there.

6. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    I edited your quote, I am on the app at the moment so my changes are in all (CAPS).

7. Zardichar

NW
    Thanks Legacy!
    I will get the mad bull grease set. I am getting the Accucel6 for charger from HK.
    I don't plan on getting gear from ASGI, I will be getting it from ShooterBCGear
    Also, if I only got some of the upgrades for the Lonex and compared it to the all-upgraded JG (so that they are the same price) would performances be similar? Or which one would be better?

8. Lefse

Hm, I looked through your list again, and I have a massive NO on lube in the mags, just keep them clean, and use rubbing alcohol to clean your barrel, it's supposed to be 100% clean and DRY. I use white lithium grease with PTFE for my gears, and pure silicone grease for compression parts from the hardware store.

As for gear, I get most of my vests and pouches and such from Airsoftpark, fairly cheap, and haven't had any issues with any of the products. I buy guns and parts from asian retailers, but if I lived in the US I would probably use Clandestine for parts.

A tuned gun will almost always outperform a stock gun, even high end guns.

9. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    I agree 100% with your decisions (first time in a while haha). It's hard to tell because I don't know how experienced you are as a tech so some of the things (AOE, shimming, etc.) might vary. The Lonex requires much less upgrading (if any) but probabaly wont outperform a JG with $100.00 of upgrades. It will be very close, and i think the JG would come out in top but I gotta give the Lonex credit because it will have better external build quality as well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. Zardichar

NW
    Ok, so I won't lube the mags.
    As for the tuned vs high end, I can't really find a way to express this properly.
    So I have the same budget for a gun no matter what gun I get; if I get the Lonex, I have less money for upgrades. I plan on tuning both of them, but the Lonex will just have less upgrades. So for the same amount of money for the gun and upgrades, which gun will have better performance; a more tuned JG or a less tuned, but not stock, Lonex?
    (whew, long question)

But also, anyone have advice on regards to the question at the end? (budget)

Thanks!

11. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Budget wise focus on the essentials first, then work your way down to the other things. (gun, upgrades, bbs, eyepro, mags, battery/charger, BDU, good quality vest, pouches, etc.)
    And again there's no definite answer to which will be better, most likely the JG if you also add a Lonex A1 motor and possibly a new piston/piston head. But it will be really close...

12. Zardichar

NW
    Hmm then I will probably stick with the JG as I like tinkering.

What would you consider essentials?

13. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    For upgrades? I think you have a good list, without re-reading it this is what I would do:
    -shim
    -AOE
    -grease
    -new bushings (your gb will probably be 7mm)
    -SHS 16:1 gears (if you want)
    -Magic Box m100 or m110 (go with m110 if you can)
    -Lonex A1 motor
    -16awg wiring
    -deans connectors

14. Zardichar

NW
    No, I mean essentials for playing (bb's, mags, bdu's, etc) I want to know what to buy within my budget.

15. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
  16. Zardichar

NW
    Ok, so I'll get:
    Elite Force .25's
    Mag midcaps

And my field requires a full face mask for under 18, so I'll check if they will accept a half mesh and goggles.

I plan on playing some cqb and where I play is mostly wooded and green, so maybe multicam?

17. Lefse

Be aware that SHS has a ridiculously high lemon rate, so I recommend you thoroughly inspect the gears for faults before using them.

18. Zardichar

NW
    Thanks for the heads uo, but I dont think my budget will allow for any gears right now
    Besides, I would get siegetek gears, not shs :)

19. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Haha I like this new person :) yes sorry for misreading the last post. Ill let you know what I use.
    EliteForce .25 bb
    MAG mid caps
    Flakjak goggles (color to match gear)
    Iron face or mesh lower (color to match gear)
    BDU set (color to match terrain)
    A nice Flyye PC
    Flyye or RS pouches for what you need

20. Zardichar

NW
    Damn, shipping from HobbyKing is so expensive...
    $24 shipping for an order of $60:
    Charger, power supply, 2 batteries, connectors

Anyone know of a place to get these cheaper somewhere else?