I need some help with rules?

Discussion in 'Rules of Engagement' started by matthewzguitarz, Nov 10, 2012.

1. matthewzguitarz

matthewzguitarz New Member

anza
    So me and my friends play in forested areas, not on fields yet. But anyways today my brother shot me with a 400fps gun from less than 5ft away, so now I think its time to set up some better rules. and do you think it would be better to say "Hit" instead of "Out"? I have also noticed a lot of my friends don't call themselves out anymore, and then say that the person they were shooting at is out, when they completely missed... also I wanted to start using a ref, but my friends are saying thats a horrible idea. Any ideas?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Depending on how many people play a ref would be a good idea, but if they don't have any actually authority then probably not going to work, definitely set up a minimal engagement distance, and maybe bypass them for some low powered springers if a guy really sneaks up that close on you.

3. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    Rule 1: Play in a sanctioned field. And not in public "forest areas." I hope it's your or your friend's land you are playing on... Stuff like this gets airsofting a bad name.

4. matthewzguitarz

anza
    Yeah we play on friends land with permission and make sure everyone is wearing protection(actually trying to get everyone to get a full face mask, or at least full seal goggles) and that everyone keeps orange tips on. But yeah what do you think is a good minimal engagement distance for guns 450fps or less? I doubt we could use refs thinking about it though, everyone would probably ignore the ref.

Also about the areas we play, the place we usually play is already set up for paintball so all the neighbors, and police know about it. The other place is a huge area that is in an indian reservation or something like that, but my friends parents make sure that the people know we are playing there and that everyone playing knows to wear safety gear and obey the rules.

Main reason I decided we need better rules, is I remembered how many people steal guns and break them, and how many people are just jerks and cause fights.

5. sparta

sparta New Member

We have a limit of 15 feet "no shoot zone" cause we all have 400+ fps guns (other than 1 kid who owns a spring shotgun.....) so my crew carries nerf swords of something of the sort for when we get within 15 feet. Sometimes we will do 10 feet in the winter.....

6. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Sample rules:
    http://www.cimmerians.org/home/rules-regs

http://www.norcalmilsim.com/lz-5_ops/rules/

How to get compliance with the rules:

Read them at the game, with everyone listening. Don't continue reading if people are talking.
    Even better - you print them, but have somebody else read them. Now there are two people who prove to everyone else that they totally know the rules.

My favorite - have everyone read the rules (they get their own copy - put a map on the back, the scenario, etc.) before a 'safety briefing'. Tell the person in charge of their side that it's his responsibility to make sure they read it.
    Then, when you have both sides together before the game, just ask questions - and POINT at someone to answer.
    Sure, the first time people might need to re-read the rules. But, do this each time and everyone will know what the rules are, everyone will know everyone else knows them, and now you have community of people who feel 'authorized' to enforce 'their' rules.

7. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

If you are within' 10ft of another player, Say "Safety Kill" and there out. Set Fps limits. You can't make them call there hits. Don't get mad at them when they don't. Just call your own hits and they will eventually learn to call there own (It may take some time). One rule that actually helps with some of my friends is using only semi-auto in every war. Watch some airsoft wars on youtube. I would rather call a hit at the beggining of the game than be the one that wins for the team but failed to call my hits.

8. matthewzguitarz

anza
    Ok, thanks for the help, but now of course my brother and his friend are abusing the safety kill, and wanting to use pellet guns because their guns are spring, or that their guns don't shoot as far as mine so they need to use a pellet gun as a sniper rifle.. and the mp5 I have only shoots 50ft at most, while their guns shoot 100-120ft. Starting to think I will just not play with them until they accept that they need to follow every rule, including keeping your safety glasses on even though you can't look through the scope.

9. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Stop playing with them immediately. I had friends play with pellet guns shooting each other and dodging them. They eventually hit one of another and went into the hospital for having a pellet in their liver.

If they are not wearing eyepro and not taking safety seriously then leave them as soon as possible.

10. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    NONONONOONONONO Pellet guns are dangerous!! DO NOT USE THEM ON EACHOTHER.

11. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
  12. champo98

champo98 New Member

You have the potential to die if shot right with a pellet gun, leave them and make it aware to the parents what there doing so it can be stopped and nobody gets hurt severly.

13. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Do not play with them if they are using pellet guns. As a matter of fact, talk to their parents about not letting them get/use pellets guns for that purpose. If their parents are difficult, you can PM me and I can help. Remember, pellet guns can reach the velocity of bullets. Pellet guns are lethal.

14. matthewzguitarz

anza
    Well I told my parents about my brother using the pellet gun for airsoft, I won't play with him or his friend until they get new guns and stop using pellet guns(think they broke their guns to use pellet guns). And when they do start playing again I will force them to wear at least a full mask(dislike them because my brother had a paintball somehow get through and almost hit his eye), then for christmass or birthdays buy them full seal goggles...

Yeah... going to make a list of rules and print them up to give to everyone I play with, they won't like it but I do not want anyone getting hurt, because of course I will be blamed.

15. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Good, you're one of the people who keep the game safe and fun. Keep us updated with your set of rules.

16. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Your like me,The game needs to be safe or it will be outlawed,And everybody needs to play safe!

17. matthewzguitarz

anza
    Going to start working on the rules in about an hour, but I would like some help. I'm now having a problem with the minimal engagement distance(tested it today). So my brother and his friend understand the rule about not being able to shoot under 15ft, but now he runs to about 14ft and says "Your out!" while I'm shooting at him. So I explained that it feels really stupid when he does it, because we were far enough away that he could easily shoot me or have his teammate sneak around and shoot me. He just said "Okay, I will lower it to 8ft." but its kind of like removing the point of the rule, so I just said we were done playing. Any ideas?

18. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Okay well, for saftey kills make you must come within 5 ft. If you come within the 15 ft and say saftey kill, your not out but you both get to move to the nearest cover than you get to play again.

19. masterpro72

masterpro72 New Member

That's an excellent plan. Remember, Call your hits even if it's a ridiculous thing such as the safety kill. When they realize that you call your hits, they will start doing it.

20. matthewzguitarz

anza
    Thanks for the help, think in the long run my friends will actually be happy that I forced them to wear safety gear and follow the minimal engagement rule. Think I might find some pictures of what happens when you shoot someone from like 10ft away with a 600fps gun to show them why I want them to follow the rules.