I want to upgrade DMR gearbox but don't know anything about them

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Gh0st_0X, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    I have a Avalon VR16 Saber. I was already playing outdoors where full auto wasn't allowed so I decided to switch it into a DMR build. I've had a Gate Titan put in, and had spring and bucking changed. That is all I've really done to it, everything else is stock. I don't know much about the gearbox or how to really upgrade it, but I want to improve the accuracy the best I can. If anyone has any recommendations on what I should change in the gearbox (or honestly anything) let me know

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Seems this is your primary AEG.

Do Not use this as your Learning platform.

Find another AEG as your learning platform, for you will have issues and your AEG is going to be down and won't be able to be used.

Simplest range and accuracy improvement are:

Coarse/Medium Polish Heavy weight bbs - .28g+
    Maple Leaf packing/rubber/bucking and matched nub.

With a 400FPS stock AEG with .20g. You can shoot 75 yards and make heads shots with those two changes.

3. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    I do not mind working on it although it is my main platform. I actually don’t go airsofting as often as I’d like since the closest field to me is Legacy and they are only open on weekends. So I go to every like two to three weeks. Which gives me a pretty good time frame to work on it. I forgot to mention.
    The bucking I had changed too was the Maple Leaf Bucking and I’m shooting .32s. Even with that I feel like there must be some other things I can add to it to make it more accurate.
    I would also like to clarify, I don’t do this stuff by myself, I go to MIR and work with the guys there or leave it for work there. I also don’t want to buy an entire new platform to work on since I’d prefer to just put money into the DMR build. And the gun I do plan on buying next will be coming out in May.
    https://www.evike.com/products/20430/
    This is what I plan on getting next so I don’t really want to spend on another gun when I can work on the dmr build and save for this.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Additional details needed.

Which maker and brand of .32g are you shooting now?

What is your current performance level? 3" groups at 50 yards? 2" groups at 60 yards? Establishing and defining your baseline is a level of detail that is needed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    Oh okay sorry I’m not very knowledgeable, I just know some basic stuff. I’m using .32 grams from elite force. And I’m not necessarily sure what the performance level is, but I’ve chronoed in at about 370fps with them.

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    370 with .32g?

Well you are in excess of of DMR speeds for most fields.

Elite Force .32g are not very good. With that tight bore barrel and the low quality bbs...there will be some accuracy issues.

Being that bb is lumpy (EF .32's) and a barrel is so tight...you will have barrel turbulence, because the bb can't let the air pass easily around the bb.

If you stepped up your bore diameter, your accuracy will improve.
    If you shot a Asia brand bb, your accuracy will improve.

But, you need a base line...otherwise you don't know if you are getting improvements or not...

7. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    I see okay, what BBs would you recommend in that case? Also I will be able to get a baseline this Sunday as I will be driving out to a shooting range where I’m allowed to shoot airsoft as well. For the bore diameter, is there a barrel you would recommend I should size up to?

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Try and maintain a .08mm gap as a minimum...large is better to a certain extent.

I run barrels no tighter than 6.04mm and the accuracy consensus in Asia is 6.05mm with the 5.95-5.97mm bbs commonly found in the market.

That would mean Japan and Hong Kong Made Barrels...with a sprinkling of some Taiwan made barrels.

9. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    Gotcha, and is there a certain bb brand that you use or are most Asian brands good enough?

Also returning to the gearbox, do you perhaps have any insight on what I could possible upgrade within it? (if I should even upgrade anything in it)

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    G&G BBs are good, Tokyo Marui and any other "Japanese" brand is good.

Sadly these bbs are not found in volume in the USA. Distribution brands are the norm and it's a "money maker" for them for they sell on hype and no standard of performance what so ever.

As for your mechbox. You are already running near the limit of the mechbox already (370fps with .32g bbs)...there is nothing to upgrade.

Unless you can cite what your actually running, no good tech would recommend upgrades without knowing what is currently in it's "operational" configuration.

Blind upgrades in this sport is rather a "short-sighted" action.

11. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    Thank you for the info on the American bbs.

I only ask about the mech box to make sure I’m not bottlenecking the true capabilities of the build. I sadly am unable to exactly site what is in the gearbox as I haven’t really opened it up nor do I know the internals extremely well. But thank you!

12. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

You likely won't be able to get g&g bbs. BLS bbs are pretty good.

They are the oem of many bb brands, however their own bbs tend to be of higher quality than the ones they supply to other brands it seems.

As for upgrades, you just need to have a target goal of fps and rps and accuracy. Then be transparent with the techs and let an experienced tech decide what stock parts are of poor fitment or quality, then consider replacing those parts if it means better long term reliability.

But remember some modifications will help with that as well, mosfets, Sorbo padding on the cylinder head, aoe correction, shell radius and proper shimming will help reduce chance failure.

13. Gh0st_0X

Gh0st_0X New Member

Des Plaines
    Thank you for the input! I will keep this in mind and try to get it all ready for a tech. RPS isn’t really a big worry of my’n primarily just the accuracy concerns me.

Like I’ve said, I will have the opportunity this Sunday to have a large stretch of land just for airsoft just to see the exact spread and what needs to be tuned up.

14. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

You would probably be interested in flat hopping, r hops and even barrel lapping/polishing. But for a dmr I'd suggest a wider bore or lapping a laylax 6.03

Higher end Lamba and pdi barrels have more inconsistencies than laylax from my experience, which even lapping struggles to remove fully.
    Side by side 6.01 have less accuracy than a 6.03 by a considerable amount in my experience, even once lapped.

A lightly polished wide bore orga barrel would be the best but it would use more air volume.

15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Because they don't want to sink their own brand as a low grade product.

Distribution, they don't care and if they can make .035 cents more per bb...they will have them made more cheaply...

16. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
    I just noticed that G&G bbs are getting harder to find. What’s the story on this?

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Smaller margins and not many knowing of it's value as a better bb.

So, distributors don't import...plus logistics is a mess right now. A lot of bbs are in short supply.

aotsukisho likes this.