ICS M4 CQB To Field Ready Gun

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by tom7171, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tom7171

tom7171 New Member

Kennesaw
    I was looking to turn my ICS M4 into a field class gun does anybody have any ideas on what I should do as far as upgrades?

2. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Well let's see:
    R-hop
    M nub
    TBB 6.03
    New bucking
    Longer barrel/suppresser to fit over it
    .25s
    Optionally a M120
    This is about it not much more you can do for range since that is what field is all about.

3. tom7171

tom7171 New Member

Kennesaw
    Thanks I'm new to internals

4. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    Well just do some research and get to it.

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You don't need a longer barrel to increase the range, just improve the hop-up and use heavier BB's and you're good to go. And you should consider using even heavier BB's than .25g to compliment the R-hop. Start by polishing and stabilizing the stock barrel, and get a new hop-up bucking. I like Guarder clear buckings myself, Lonex and Prometheus are other good alternatives.

6. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I can vouch for prommy purple, wicked little bucking. Seals well and very consistent.

If you were to change the barrel from CQB length to a carbine, remember to match the cylinder volume. The only thing Flocktime forgot mention ;)

7. Flocktime

Flocktime New Member

NukeTown
    It increases FPS by a little and he needs a new barrel anyways for the diameter.
    Cylinder volume? Never heard of doing that

8. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A longer barrel will actually massively decrease the velocity without the appropriate cylinder porting, and with the appropriate cylinder porting you can get the same velocity out of a 250mm barrel as a 450mm barrel. It's pretty much a myth that longer barrels give better range and accuracy anyway. You risk decreased accuracy with a longer barrel if you can't stabilize it properly. Also, slightly increasing the muzzle velocity will barely have any noticeable effect on range, upgrading the hop-up and using heavier BB's will have a massive effect on range.

I will agree that it's easier to get higher velocity with a longer barrel as they are less sensitive to over or under voluming. It was much easier to get full compression out of my P90 with a 247mm barrel than my MP5K with a 140mm barrel, my MP5K still rivals the range of all my other guns though.

9. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    The barrel = range+accuracy thing comes from the real steel world. Thing is airsoft guns propel spherical projectiles using compressed air, it's blow gun physics. Nothing like real steel.

In terms of your cylinder volume, you want the air in your cylinder to be around 1.5x the the volume of your barrel to be at optimum. If you didn't know, now you do ;)