Featured ICS upper and lower gearboxes

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Squirrelbait, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Squirrelbait

Squirrelbait Member

Tampa
    Looking at gear boxes for a general purpose A2 build. What's the deal/advantage with those ICS upper and lower gear boxes?

2. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    They only fit ICS bodies. They are designed to allow you to swap uppers on the fly. You build a second upper (upper gearbox, receiver, barrel, handguard, hop up, ect) and you can pull the body pins out, remove the upper and slap the new upper on, pop in the pins. This makes it so you can build multiple set ups (short barrel CQB, long barrel field, ect) and have them tuned for each set up (fps, hop up adjustment, accessories) and it only takes seconds to swap them out.

The ICS gearbox is also a bit stronger than a standard gearbox because it has more metal in it, especially in the weakest areas. This makes them ideal for high stress builds, but is also a bit harder to build in because of the fact that your parts are in separate boxes, making it trickier to get the AOE just right.

3. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

Partly true. I’ve been working with ics for about a year and a half and have thrown their gearbox in different uppers and lowers. Including APS lower, a&k lower, G&P lower, lancer Tactical upper. They’re a great gearbox with a nice little feature of spring decompression. In regards to the original post you can buy them either complete with gears and all or just the shell. Good quality all around and if your building a standard rifle that’ll give you what you need and more

4. Zaryk

Southern
    They are longer than a standard gearbox, at least the older ones are. I never liked the looks of any of their new line (or most newer guns if Im going to be honest, I am a traditional wood and steel kind of guy though and dislike tons of rails and polymer crap all over a gun) that has the blow back gearboxes so I never got one of those, and they could very well fit in a standard receiver. But I can verify the older ones do not fit properly in standard receivers without modifications, the 2 piece gearboxes at least. The receiver pins do not line up and the motor comes in at a different angle making standard pistol grips give improper meshing to the gears.

5. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

Most of their stuff is “future soldier” type of guns but their solid rifles. I have the PAR MK3 (it’s a 416 for all intents and purposes). I disabled the ebb as soon as I got it as to not add the extra stress. But it’s taken a bit of a beating and it’s kickin. It accepts most all aftermarket parts

6. Zaryk

Southern
    I totally agree that ICS, old or new, is a solid built product. I absolutely love them. Definitely on my list of top 3 favorite airsoft manufacturers.

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ICS has caught my attention as well, their split V2 gearbox shell looks pretty robust. I imagine the split design makes it a tad easier to shim the gears since you can look down through the top of the gearbox so you can properly see the clearance between the gears. I adore my ICS MP5 and I'm definitely tempted to get an ICS M4, especially since my G&G M4 is really moody lately.

8. Fuegodeth

Fuegodeth New Member

Montgomery
    I just got an ICS CXP Proline M4. There's just a little wobble between the upper and lower at the pins. it's just a little bit of play there. Is that normal with this split design? Gun shoots fine and all works. Is there an easy fix for the wobble. it's kind of annoying. Kind of wondering if the UPS guy dropped it as the orange tip was slightly cracked. Gun was new in box from evike.

9. Hangtight

Hangtight Well-Known Member

Happens in a lot of guns. I've got rid of it in G&P receivers with epoxy, sleeves and a reamer, but that's because I'm sad! It'll be fine, just enjoy it. :)

Fuegodeth likes this.
  10. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

It’s so amazing I love it. Super easy to work on!

11. connorhayden1999

connorhayden1999 Member

Could be the pins themselves. Neither of my ICS rifles have any wobble between receivers

12. Zaryk

Southern
    None of my ICS m4s have any wobble between receivers. I have owned quite a few too.

If there is a triangular chip in the end of the orange tip, that is not damage. A lot of people will mistake that as damage, but that is actually the correct design of the flash hider. Im not sure if that is what you are talking about with your flash hider, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Fuegodeth likes this.
  13. Fuegodeth

Fuegodeth New Member

Montgomery
    Oh, I just assumed that was a chip broken off. Good to know. On this ICS gun the pins are designed to not fall out and get lost. They have a slot running down them so they are retained in the receiver. I think that might have been a new thing for ICS and might be the culprit. I saw a video showing how to fix receiver wobble with teflon tape, so I'll try that.

As posted above, it sounds like it's not uncommon in various guns. Although, I certainly would prefer not to have any wobble. Do you think evike or ICS would replace this gun just for that? If I can fix it myself I won't bother trying to return though. I really don't want to go through the hassle of shipping it back if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the replies.

14. Zaryk

Southern
    I highly doubt either would take it back as a return for that issue. If the gun is running fine, then im sure they wouldnt. A DIY mod may be the best fix for you.

15. Fuegodeth

Fuegodeth New Member

Montgomery
    Thanks for the help guys. I think it is the pins that are really the culprit. They're pretty easy to pull in and out. For now I've got some teflon tape wrapped around the front pin hole that protrudes from the top gearbox. At the rear I'm going to just glue a little piece of EPP foam where the upper and lower halves meet. The teflon tape on the front took out most of the play. I'm considering investing in some magic pins if I can figure out that they will fit this gun. I would also have to figure out how to remove the existing pins completely. They are retained in the receiver so you can't just take them off. Anyway all in all the gun works great, so I'm not too worried about that at this point. Thanks again