Ideas for 1st sniper build

Discussion in 'Sniper Rifles' started by malthegreat, Jun 8, 2015.

1. malthegreat

malthegreat New Member

Tempe
    First of all, i've only worked on scar & m4s before. I'm getting a TM VSR 10 G Spec soon. Here's my questions:

1. Should i play around with it stock, or do i have to upgrade somethings 1st.
    2. I have $200-300 to spend on upgrades currently, help me pick parts and what i should prioritize.
    3. Any other inputs/ideas/suggestions are highly appreciated.
    4. Should i consider JG vsr 10 g spec instead, how much difference in terms of performance and build quality compared to TM.

My local field rules:
    <475 fps
    max bb weight is 0.28
    field size is slightly more than 200 yards long

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    I'd play with it stock for a few games at least, so that way you can see a difference with the upgrades, what works, what doesn't, etc. as well as things that need to be improved.

Always go with the TM. You wont be sorry.

3. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    1. Use it stock for a while. The one thing I regret regarding my VSR is never actually using it stock before upgrading it.

2. There are lots of guides on this forum and the internet regarding VSR upgrading. Please find them and read them.

3. See 2.

4. A stock TM will blow a stock JG out of the water. However, if you upgrade both extensively, the only thing that eventually differentiates the two are the externals.

4. malthegreat

malthegreat New Member

Tempe
    Thanks for the replies. Although, are there any minor/small upgrades i can do to get the fps slightly higher to around 350?

5. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

I'd do some airseal mods and drop a higher spring in, as well as getting some 90 degree sears. I'm not sure how the stock piston is in the TM, but if there's a better one put there, it'll probably boost FPS without putting a spring in.

6. malthegreat

malthegreat New Member

Tempe
    Hmm, I'm thinking of dropping just a 120 spring. Are the internals strong enough if left stock for now? Also, is tight bore something I should consider now?

7. derpymonkey

derpymonkey Member

Kalamazoo
    I would just do a TBB and some DIY mods, that should raise your fps quite a bit, once you start upgrading the spring and stuff, you basicly have to upgrade everything. So me personally I would just get a tbb, new bucking and mess with some DIY mods.

8. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    How crazy you trying to go?

I picked up a Well 96 on CL. It's Maruzen clone and also my first sniper build.There are like 5 other brands that make it and a decent amount of parts available. If you haven't looked.

Sniping is expensive.

The one I got had the hopup arm cracked but still functional and the bucking is gnarled up. The barrel is pristine though so score I guess.

I'm only going to pick up an SHS hopup, barrel spacers and a new bucking to start off but in the meantime was able to do some fun DIY with it, which for me, is a lot of the fun.

Started with foaming the stock
    [​IMG]

Then cut in an M14 mag I had.
    [​IMG]

And am moving to a light tan/dusty camo tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the hardware and barrel are staying black.

I fell in love with the L96 I saw in an ASF post and this is based on that I guess. That one was straight tan no mag but it was a beauty.

I'll clean this and relube and get some field time with it "stock" for a while and then move on to barrel, spring, metal gearbox/upgraded internals, etc.

Thus far it's been a blast so my advice is if you love the work, get something you can work ON and not just drop some parts into. The L96 is to me seems like a fun one with plenty of upgrade potential.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. malthegreat

malthegreat New Member

Tempe
    As crazy as what my field allowed :)

10. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    Oh and pretty much disregard everything I said, I didn't see you where decided on a VSR10.

11. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    He is right on the money. Do what derpy suggested.

However, I wouldn't bother with a new barrel at the moment. The new barrel comes with the "have to upgrade everything" stage, so hold of on it until then. In fact, the TM barrels are quite excellent for a stock barrel. Something to do with the magic TM fairy dust....

There are so many DIY mods available for the VSR system. Do them all, or as many as you are comfortable with accomplishing.

12. BearGames

BearGames Member

San Jose
    I've always heard when upgrading a sniper rifle you should go from barrel back to the cylinder. Barrel -> bucking -> etc.

13. malthegreat

malthegreat New Member

Tempe
    Cool, that's what I had in mind. I'm just gonna mess with diy mods and the hop up area first. I'll get into the cylinder n trigger later on