If a field requires bio bb's is it a deal breaker?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Mighty_Mouse, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends on the merit of the field in question, and/or other local options.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    That would be breaking the rules. Delete this post. You're actually giving info on how to break the rules, this is a game of honor, not lying.,

2. Carnotix

Carnotix New Member

Are you really getting worked up over that post? It wasn't meant to be taken seriously

3. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    And if someone does take it seriously? . People can take it seriously -.-

4. L1211

L1211 New Member

Word,for real man you have a point jelly.

5. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Cookeville
    This

Is actually a point that I want to bring up with the land owner. If they want me to start requiring bio's, then of course I have to respect that, but I have no actual ability to enforce this rule.

I'm operating completely non-profit (another requirement of using the land), so I don't have the means to sell a house bb, I also refuse to alienate people by checking their stuff.

I'm enjoying this thread though, it actually is somewhat helpful to hear the opinions and factoring them into implementing this rule.

6. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My local paid field requires bios. I don't mind at all, I prefer Bioval and Hailstorms over regular BBs anyway.

7. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    whether required or not, i feel that if you are playing on someone else's land you should use bios. if nothing more than a common courtesy. if it is required then there should be no discussion. either bring and play with bios or stay home.

there will always be cheaters and those that will go out of their way to break/bend the rules. the excuse of "they are too expensive" is utter crap. can't afford to play by the rules? can't afford to play.

here we do not require bios but it is recommended they be used. i'd say 99% use bios 95% of the time. there are a couple of kids that we suspect don't use bios. these are also the ones that break/bend the rules. one is about to be taken off the "invite" list, but that is another issue.

enforcing the bio only rule will be difficult at best. you, probably, will only have to rely on the honesty of your players.

good luck with your venture

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    bios are going to be implemented anyway to every outdoor and probably indoor field in the next couple of years. I believe fields get an insurance break or some time of positive out of having a bio only field as well.
    Bios are no worse than standard anymore as long as you buy the right ones. Our team switched from standard to Hailstorm Bio bbs and actually got better range and accuracy out of them. I personally was using King Arms Platinum, and the others were using, Airsoft Elite, Goldenball and Javelin bbs.

9. TheChosenOne94

TheChosenOne94 New Member

I hate bios. They don't last, and gum up my barrel.

Plus, they cost more. So, yeah...I'm cheap :D

10. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    I can understand your concern.
    Most of our local groups made the switch to 100% Bio 2+ years ago, and attendance at the games has increased.

Sure, there were the occasional complaining whiney pants who didn't want to spend more on Bio BBs (seriously, that was their argument!), or complained that they had already bought a rice bag of BBs, but those were rare (if even true).

11. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    As one who is in a similar situation, B-B Wars does not own the property on which we play, but we do have permission to use the property. We have not been required to use bio bbs; however, if we were, we would not stop playing just for this reason. As others have said, if it aint your land respect the owner's wishes.

That said, I, as the owner and team leader of B-B Wars, understand your concern. We have a hard enough time getting people to our events as it is, location, playing style, and other reasons have plagued us over the years, adding another stipulation to our laundry list of issues would only make things more difficult. However, to maintain a positive reputation, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and if that means requiring bios, then that's just what you have to do.

As for enforcing the rules, there is an easy enough way to do that, require that any bbs used that day are presented to the field operations people (staff) in an unopened bag. If you do not want to ask people to use "house" bbs then at least ask them to present an unopened bag that you can confirm are bio bbs. As the proprietor, you have every right to inspect the gear and equipment that enter onto your property, even if it is "rented."

If players are so dishonest that they cannot follow a simple rule of respect, what makes one thingk they will follow the rules of play?

12. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat Active Member

But what do you think of doing it when the players are completely unaware.

13. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Booger, while I like the idea of the unopened bag, I personally only usually have one bag of BBs with me, which is all I own usually. I can stretch a bag over the course of a month or two, during which time I play several games, so that open bag would last me quite a long time till I need to go buy more.

14. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Cookeville
    I use the same bag of bb's for months, so I wouldn't go to a rule that I myself could not meet.

We play on church-owned land, so I would hope that would deter some level of dishonesty, but you never know...:(

15. CommanderLukas

CommanderLukas New Member

Palmyra
    Dude, its a free field. They let you shoot people for free...

16. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    I would call that disrespectful and questionable; however, if the proprietor of the field feels a need to inspect a person's gear, they should do it openly and there should be signs posted that state, "We reserve the right to inspect any and all gear, bags, etc."

However, they would legally have to draw the line at "pat downs" or similar personal searches because that would, not could, but would pose serious legal issues.

To those who make the point of stretching a bag of bbs, I hear you. We buy our bbs three or four bags at a time and poor them into ammo cans for storage, so yes, I can understand your points. I simply offered the suggestion as an option.

B-B Wars had considered requiring all players to use house bbs; however, we dropped this idea once we performed our own ammo testing. We were having issues with the bbs we started out using; they worked in some guns well and in others they sucked. We order five different manufacture's bbs in .25g, then we performed an in-field test and a bench test using these bbs. The field test was simple, each person had one mag of each make of bb, when they ran out, they rated the bbs based on certain criteria. Once everyone had used up all of a certain bb, we switched to another bb.

Players did not know which make was which, our PRO and myself were the only one's who knew which was which. We marked each mag with a number, we made a list of which bb corresponded with which number. Once testing was done, then we checked the list to determine which number matched which bb. This way everyone was blind to which one they were using, all they could do was report on which number bb performed in what manner.

What we found was one bb worked well in everyone of our guns and passed the bench testing as well. Once we determined which bb worked best, we stuck with it; however, what we learned from this is not every gun works well with the same bbs. Therefore, we do not require or limit our players to a house bb. We have tried other makes over the years, especially when we did not have time to order our prefered bbs online. Again, we learned that certain bbs just don't work in certain guns. Thus, to force players to use a specific bb in their gun, could lead to potential issues. At the least, someone could claim it gave them a disadvantage and at worst, it could result in damage to their gun. Therefore, we allow our players to use their preferred bb in their gun, if that is a bio or a regular doesn't matter; they can use it.

In the end, as I said before, the operator of the field has the final say in what they allow and what they do not. It's just that simple.

On a side note, Mighty Mouse, I see you're listed as being in Cookeville, TN. I have family down that way, my stepmother and her two sons live in Baxter. Howdy neighbor.

17. soviet

soviet Active Member

Well I will start bringing bio bbs then.

18. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Cookeville
    I was wondering if you would come across this.

I'm about to send an email out in a couple days to let everyone know.

19. soviet

soviet Active Member

Lol ya I've been keeping up. I'll start bringing bio. Tho none bio still bios over time. But I see why you would want bio.

20. schlabie

schlabie New Member

No, if its free then do it. My field require bios, and elite force .25's are what i use. I have no problem using bios.