If prices were switched with paintball.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by TheFallenHero, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

So i have been debating this for a long time on whether or not to ask. I decided i might as well though.

If paintball was cheaper then airsoft would you be more inclined to play that over airsoft. I mean lets just say all bbs cost twice as much then they normally do. And guns and all parts costed 1/3rd more.

So $100 airsoft gun equals 133 dollars. pack of 4k .25g bbs at 10 dollars now costs 20 dollars.

And in paintball the percentages are reversed. Meaning paintballs cost half as much and gun parts cost 1/3rd less.

So 2000 paintballs are normally around 30 dollars are now 15 dollars.

A tippman 98 custom is normally 120 dollars. Its now 80 dollars.

Now would you still play airsoft or would you switch over to paintball?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Airsoft, I've made money off of accessories that can't be used on paintball guns.

3. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

So for you its whatever makes a dollar... Thats sort of disheartening but ok. What exactly do you mean by accessory? Just curious.

4. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    -______________- Can't tell you that, and no I guess not, I don't buy P* even though I have money for them, I expect a realistic replica, and I love M16a4s haven't seen a paintball version of that.

5. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    I would still play airsoft.

Four reasons:

More realistic guns and gear (most paintball guns look like crap and the outfits look silly, IMHO)

Mesh goggles Vs. fogging PB face masks and goggles

Less messy (no paint residue)

More honorable play (last time I PB'd every other player was yelling for a paint check from a ref)

On a side note, if this thread turns into a Paintball Bashing thread, it will be closed and bans will be issued to the responsible parties.

This is your ONLY warning.

6. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Woah hey im not taking it as a bash in PB thread.

BTW marine how do you know im not trying to buy accesorys. Cant sell if you dont offer. Thats just bad business planning right there.

7. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    The warning wasn't for you, it was for all the people who tend to post before they think.

I see value in this discussion as long as it does not progress into a PB Bash Fest, hence my warning.

Proceed...

8. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    It's funny because as far as I know, there is no marker out there that costs as much as I've invested in my gun. Of course I'd play the sport, I still think airsoft costs more. A C1, tank and mask cost about $150, while a JG M4, battery, charger, and goggles cost around $170. In mid level, a mini, HPA tank, pinokio, a good mask and gear, cost maybe $650. A G&P M4 with a good set of upgrades, good goggles, and good gear will run you at least $650. At veteran level, a professional marker/tank/hopper/gear/mask might run you $3,000, while a full impression loadout, a siegetek/lonex/terminusx/PDI G&P M4, and completely upped TM M9 could cost upwards of $5,000.

9. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Well idk. Personally long run paintballs more expensive atleast in my mind...

Its easy to go through 2000 paintballs in one match.

Paintball is a bit cheaper for start up. Think about long term though. With the current prices including air and paintballs long term paintball would probably be more expensive.

10. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    True- but not enough to justify a change of hobby. If I had my hobby for cost, I'd play sarcastaball. I drive 2 hours for my airsoft field, 40 minutes for my PB field. So every AS game costs more then every PB game, for me at least.

11. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

wait what? You dont have an AS and PB field rolled into one? BTW im talking woodsball. Not speed ball here.

12. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    A lot of paintball fields don't allow airsoft. Mine don't anyways. Reason being, thay don't want the huge amount of BBs ever where.

13. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Then they should only allow Bio-bbs.

Anyways, I've played both, but I would stick with Airsoft. Even if there was a price hike on everything. $20 for a bag of bbs is still cheaper than $50 box of paintballs. However, I have to drive over an hour away. So, the cost of gas evens out the price difference.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  14. Southpawlegend

Southpawlegend New Member

Salisbury
    I would quit all together.

At that point it would start to cross my budget and gotta keep priorities straight

15. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Each of my AEG's have already cost me as much as a high quality paintball marker, as they are all heavily upgraded, so that renders gun pricing irrelevant. I would most likely run a lower ROF if airsoft BB's cost the same as paint balls. I would probably still prefer airsoft, not because I consider paintball to be inferior or anything, I just really like the technical aspect of AEG's.

16. bjonas71

bjonas71 Member

palm coast
    i would stick with airsoft, just all around better for me. the other thing is we can get together and just shoot targets at my buddy's house between weekends. good way to unwind after work, shoot some bb's, grill some food and hang out with the family's.

17. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    Well, here's my imput. This is my opinion on real life PB vs. Airsoft, not the price switch. I've played paintball for well over 2 years, and now I'm contemplating almost completely switching to airsoft. Even with the prices OP mentioned, they are not realistic. A case (2000 paintballs) cost anywhere from $50-$90. It is INSANELY expensive, especially when compared to when you can get 5000 BBs for like $15-$20. I'm probably going to only play paintball once or twice a year now, as airsoft is a just as fun much cheaper alternative.

One day of paintball= $60-$100

One day of airsoft= $25-$40!

Edit: Even the guns are cheaper, I have a MID-GRADE paintball setup (marker, hopper, and HPA tank) that cost around $500. You can get a HIGH-END VFC, G&P, Lonex, you name it, for even cheaper than a mid-grade paintball setup!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  18. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Where I live, the local Paintball field allows Airsoft but you would just have to rent out the field. Not a big problem considering the fact that the paintball field is pretty nice.

19. TheFallenHero

TheFallenHero New Member

Like i said though. For you its whatevers cheapest. You are thinking of switching to airsoft because its cheaper clearly... So im not wrong in my assumption. Some would switch based on price.

BTW if your paying 50+ dollars for 2k paintballs your getting ripped off...

20. Ace4300

Ace4300 New Member

Ridgewood
    I sometimes play big scenario games at Skirmish USA (2,000-5,000 people) and you have to use their paint. It's like $85 a case! Very overpriced! I have a local field that has cases for like $40, that's concidered a good deal.