Featured If you're using a Scope; Are you using Protection with it?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Sketch E Assassin, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Sketch E Assassin

Sketch E Assassin New Member

[​IMG]
    This thread will serve the purpose of gauging how many players actually protect their scopes and with what methods. Now protecting your scope is not hard or rocket science.

Let me paint you a vivid picture. So you’ve gone ahead and purchased a brand new Leapers UTG Red Dot Scope w/ a 3x Flip to Side Magnifier combo and brought it to your local airsoft field. And after a well-played first round, you noticed your brand new scope has been shot right through.

Holy Testicle Tuesday Batman. You just cost your self just about $160 depending on the damage it took.

So imagine the scenario I just described and let it sink in, cause it happens daily on airsoft fields across the world. –Shoot, it’s even happened to me a couple of times and it’s costly when it does, however, it can be prevented with a proper solution.

What methods are there to protect my scope?
    Fortunately, there are a few solid solutions on the internet that can protect as well as save your expensive scope lens when you’re in the heat of battle. It’s just a matter of what type of scope you’re trying to protect.

This article I recently wrote will try to serve as an updated (2020) overall guide to protect your scope with DIY as well as conventional store-bought methods with a little combination of both whether your scope is in rain or shine, indoors, or out. I also want to see in the comments, what methods you guys use, and if you protect your sights at all when playing?

To read the full article I've complied; Click HERE.

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    I made some notes on the errors in your article.

But as noted...reflex sights and "cheap" red dots are prone to being shot out. The sub 40.00 units.

"Expensive" Red Dot units can take bb hits all day...

And "Scopes" are bb proof also...even the 10.00 (wholesale) units.

Sketch E Assassin likes this.

3. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    I 3d print killflashes for all my red dots and scopes to serve as bb protection.

link0 and Sketch E Assassin like this.
  4. Sketch E Assassin

Once I have the space that's going to be my next investment. A 3D printer is super worth it for making custom gear. Kudos Piper. Maybe you should open up a custom workshop to sell your work. Would love to see your stuff.

5. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    I'm hummermole on Thingiverse if you want to check out my designs. Not sure all the killflashes I've designed are on there, but some are.

I will never get into 3d printing production for profit. The price I would charge for my time is way above what any sane person would pay for what they're getting. And, no way I'm dealing with the aggravation that would inevitably result when somebody's $2 killflash didn't exactly fit their $20 China clone red dot. Don't got time for that.

Ulster and link0 like this.
  6. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    An 8x8x8 3d printer is perfect for making most Airsoft gear stuff.

7. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    i sell files and do commissions. ADAS1223 on thingiverse. i dont use scope protectors. my scopes are for plinking. i only play CQB and you dont need red dots or scopes for cqb. its point and shoot. or just walk the bbs into target. lets be real. lol

8. Sketch E Assassin

Noted and saved. Thanks for that bit of advice. Will come in handy in the future for sure.

9. Sketch E Assassin

Highly agree with you Adas, however, players still purchase them regardless of what we think.

10. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    Just wondering - what is the advantage of 3D printing a killflash over cutting a piece of Lexan for protection?

PS: Agree that scopes and red dots are mostly for show. Haven't had issues using iron sights for targets in AEG range.

Ulster likes this.
  11. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    As far as functionality - absolutely nothing.

12. Sketch E Assassin

Got it brother and you're the best. Thank you.

13. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth

Personally I have never had problems with scope protection so I don't use them, but I do understand why people do as I have seen scopes shot out at my field.

Honestly though, in cqb iron sights/natural point of aim are sufficient for me. When I am dong more long range/accuracy shooting a red dot with 2x magnification is plenty. Also, at that range my scope has taken hits but non of them were strong enough to take it out.

14. piperdown

piperdown Member

Chesapeake
    The reason I use them is for when I'm shooting long range on magnification and they're shooting me CQB because I got surprised. Happens at Ballahack.

15. Miles Guy

Miles Guy New Member

Fort Worth
    Ahh, ok. I can see that.