I'm starting airsoft

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by ISnipeUrFace, Sep 17, 2012.

1. ISnipeUrFace

ISnipeUrFace New Member

Hey, I'm new to airsoft and prefer sniping. Any tips (guns, gear, mod.s, Airsoft fields around MA.). I want to get the Type 96 (or MK96) sniper rifle from Airsoft megastore is this a good gun?

Ps. I have always liked sniping and have been a sniper in Call of Duty. I have also used real sniper rifles so don't tell me I'm not a sniper because I'm new.

2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Just so you know airsoft is nothing like "Call of duty" or "real sniper rifles". Both physics and mentality are totally different.
    How long have you been airsofting? Oh, right. You are just starting. If you can, get yourself a nice AEG and try to use single shots. That way, you will get a glimpse at what it is like.

When you like that, move onto sniper rifles. If you still like it, get upgrades.

3. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    +1 Sniping in video games is a lot different then being a sniper in airsoft. Generally you have to put a lot of upgrades into a sniper rifle to make it effective. Stock sniper rifles in airsoft arn't that great. Also shooting targets down a gun range doesn't qualify you to be a sniper.

Lots of new people have this perception that they want to be a airsoft sniper because they do it in video games or just like the concept so they go out and buy a sniper rifle and find out pretty quickly that it's not what it's cracked up to be and end up hating it.

Since you are just starting out I would agree with shifty. Get yourself a decent AEG. Maybe a M14 or SR-25. They make great platforms for DMRs but when you first get it you can play with it and get a feel for the game. From here you can either upgrade the AEG into an effective DMR or buy a sniper rifle and upgrade it if you like it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    Just to reinforce this (I'm sure it will take more than 2 posts to try to convince you that ASM cares about more then your money with it's statements about accuracy)..

A bolt action sniper rifle is AS accurate as A semi-automatic electric rifle, the accuracy components don't really change. Also, extra barrel length decreases accuracy after the length of roughly an AK barrel.

The only large advantage you get from using a bolt action sniper rifle (spring, at least) is less noise. Well, fields will generally allow more FPS from a bolt action rifle, but that doesn't correlate to accuracy, and in fact lowers it if you don't have a synergistic BB weight, air seal, and hop-up.

Also, Call of Duty is not anything like Airsoft. Most people I see with stock sniper rifles at my field (overwhelming majority of people under 13, 90% stock UTG L96s), are actually terrified to move in Airsoft.

Something people don't tend to think about is that there is very little point in sniping unless you are in an op. If your team leader gets shot once in an op and you can't figure out where it's from, you're in deep. But there aren't really leaders in standard games, so you will probably be a deadweight.

Tl;dr start with a JG AK, don't quickscope.

5. soviet

soviet New Member

You sure are a genius. I mean COD is nothing like airsoft. Airsoft is nothing like real sniper rifles. Argo rethink your possibilities.

6. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Don't purchase a sniper rifle just for the sake of saving money. Because it takes $400 of upgrades, and skills to be a sniper. Two people I play with chose the cheap route, and they don't do well because my AEG outperforms their snipers, and its just a standard M4 barrel, not even a DMR. So unless you have the money, and the skills, I suggest not buying a sniper.

7. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    Well if you want to get something close to being a "sniper". Get something like a M14 that has good stock distance and then see if you like the sport with that.

8. ISnipeUrFace

ISnipeUrFace New Member

I have bought a $80 sniper rifle and practiced w/it. Now I know I like sniping and am going to buy a more expensive sniper rifle. And I have played Airsoft before. I play in my neighbor's woods. I've tried rifles and prefer snipers.

9. soviet

soviet New Member

More expensive doesn't help. You need to upgrade.

10. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Amen. There are only about 2 airsoft sniper rifles that are ready to go right out the box. Last time I checked, 1 of the manufactures is on "Vacation", the other only takes special orders. Oh and did I mention they're WAYY behind schedule. By the way, those guns START at about $800

For the gun you have now, expect to basically gut everything internally and re-build it from scratch. On top of that, trial and error, as well as meticulous tedious work. There are a few guides in the Bolt-ACtion Sniper Rifle and Gun Modification areas of the forum.

Noone is trying to stop you, we're just trying to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Many of us have been there before. The main problem was getting money to properly upgrade the gun OR getting money to properly maintain the upgrades on the gun.

11. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    You're going to need to pour hundreds of dollars and so much time into that gun mate.

12. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    There is a forum dedicated to airsoft snipers and their weapons, upgrades, tactics, etc. Cant remember the name can somebody provide a link for him?

13. Defcon5

Defcon5 New Member

@AirsoftimusPrime,

I'm not wanting to start an argument, but do you have a problem with the younger/newer generation? Im not accusing you, but my friends and I are 13.

I realize that you experienced players know MUCH more than us, and we NEED to learn from them. But, more times than not, we are underestimated and just tossed aside like .12g BBs...lol.

14. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    Okay. Just because you fired a rifle with a scope on it doesn't mean your a sniper.

How's that?

15. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Lol at the .12g part. I am 13 as well and am very mature for my age. I have much to learn about the sport but know a lot as well. I am just saying this to show that not all 13 and under kids are immature.

16. Beast35

Beast35 New Member

Where do u live at .

17. stroop66

stroop66 New Member

you are sooo right! Even though some older guys are to stuck up to see that and just get mad at newbies, and most of the time dont teach, just kick them while there down, and dont get me wrong i respect all of your comments and take them in consideration, but younger guys dont need to be hated on by more experience players. (Now im no t saying buster and guys like sharp shooter and stuff this doesnt apply to you because ive seen where you either appoligized or corrected your self and teached and not "kicked em while there down".)

Now i personally dont care about the comments but i need to stick up for that 12 or 13 year old that doesnt want to be Crapped on by older, more experienced guys.

it also seems like its getting alot more like this since the app for the sites came out. people arent going to wanna stay on this forum if its going to keep on.

RESPECT IS THE #1 RULE! (maybe not forum wise but morraly wise.)

Heres what i have to say about this thread:

You are doing perfectly fine as a begginer sniper and doing it all right. know i know from personal experience that your not going to have enough cash at once to pay for it all or a super nice sniper. Now a DMR or an AEG would be a MUCH better way to start off as, but you have seen if you like it and if your sticken with it.

And thats great. now what your going to wanna do is upgrade piece by piece or upgrade from a new higher grade gun. As you become a more experience player. Youll get better gear, and here on the forum we are to helpp you along the way.

So keep at it and practice is the key to success!

18. Beast35

Beast35 New Member

Dang bro a bunch of thought into it hu?

19. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    PM me about that question or check my profile.

20. stroop66

stroop66 New Member

Yeah i did, in the past ive put "bad" post un detailed and things, so now those are the post i put. Either good or bad.