Inconsistent Accuracy with tight bore barrel.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by JONNY-5, Jun 7, 2015.

1. JONNY-5

JONNY-5 New Member

London
    Hey everybody,

After a skirmish event, my airsoft rifle was not firing as accurately as I would recall previously. After returning home, I cleaned the 6.03mm brass barrel extensively following all the correct procedures that you would.

I took it in my garden, which is about 10 meters (33 feet) to the end and started shooting. The gun would fire consistently, then fire a flyer about 2-4 inches away from the original grouping. There wasn't any pattern in the flyers, they just seemed to go off randomly throughout the 20+ shots.

I don't believe it was the wind, as it was firing flyers both the left and the right of the target. My TM M9 was getting a higher grouping than the rifle, even though the barrel is one third the size and not a tight bore (I believe).

I turned the hop down, and the shots accuracy and grouping seemed to improve.

The range of the gun was not affected by the inconsistent accuracy, and the gun is still completely usable, just not as consistent as it previously was.

From this point I could not see what could be causing the problem. I do not believe it is the hop up, but maybe the hop up is triggering something else that is causing inconsistency.

I would be very grateful for any advice given.

Thanks in advance.
    Jonathan

*Edit
    When inspecting the barrel, I noticed a very small fibre that was sticking out from the side around the hop up area. It came out about about halfway across the barrel. The gun is G&G, meaning it had a green bucking, and this fibre was also green so i put two and two together and guessed it was a fibre from the bucking. Is this the problem? Will I need to get it repaired/replaced.

Once again the gun is still very functional, and some people may just think it is paranoia, but from having the gun 6 months now, I can see that something is wrong.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Check the condition of your bucking for tears or other wear. Also check and see whether you nub has shifted in the hop-up window. If it is not consistently engaging the bucking, you can get flyers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

3. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

That could definitely be your problem. I had a similar thing happen to me when the bucking twisted, and the bb's were hitting a rough patch of the bucking. You said that this came after a skirmish... Give the barrel a good cleaning and see if any gunk comes out. That usually solves most of my accuracy problems.

4. JONNY-5

JONNY-5 New Member

London
    I had another inspection, and I did notice that the hop up rubber looked as though it had been shifted or moved out of place.

I would be happy to take it apart, but there is a 2 year warranty on the gun that I'm not keen on voiding.

So unless there is an easier fix that doesn't involve me replacing parts, is it time to get the gun serviced?

5. JONNY-5

JONNY-5 New Member

London
    I disassembled the gun and couldn't see any issues with the bucking or the barrel. I made sure all was realigned and assembled the gun again, but the issue still occurred.

I then changed the bbs, still to find no improvement.

Finally, I completely replaced the bucking and still, the issue stays persistent.

Originally, I was using blaster bbs, and switched to some G&G bbs.

Thanks for any help in advance

6. Bostitch

Bostitch Well-Known Member

Waldorf
    How many rounds are through the barrel? If it's fairly new it could still be breaking..if it's seasoned, then it still sounds like a possible hopup issue...what kind of nub are you using? It might not be an issue with the bucking if the nub is old and soft. Also, when you clean your barrel do you use any type of lube or oil? If the bucking is wet with silicone or anything similar it will cause inconsistency issues. How does the barrel itself look? Any scratches or visible dirt in the bore?

7. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    Does your air nozzle reset to the same position after each shot or does it come to rest at different spots?

8. cascade

cascade Member

On full auto it would almost certainly come to a rest at different spots...normal behavior.

OP i would suggest doing the few compression mods and also a chono string. Also shoot from a bench/rest...many people grossly over-estimate their ability to shoot accurately.

9. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    I don't think the OP is doing accuracy testing in full auto.

10. cascade

cascade Member

Theres little to no reason for the nozzles resting position to have anything to do with accuracy.

11. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    My air nozzle is glued to the tappet plate so it does not rotate and move. Some people also shave the front of the tappet plate to allow for a better seal against the bucking. Any anomaly in the system will affect accuracy. A swing in FPS will affect groupings. The list is endless. Basically follow the holy grail DMR thread if you want the most consistent results.

12. JONNY-5

JONNY-5 New Member

London
    I believe you are correct. I installed a new G&G nub as the old one had been squashed and flattened (which I didn't notice the first time I disassembled it) The gun is up and working very well now.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies, it is much appreciated.

Jonathan