Featured Instagrams removal of airsoft content.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Ben3721, Oct 12, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

So I don't know how many of you have a airsoft page on Instagram, but lately the lovely moderators of Instagram have been taking down basically everything related to airsoft and firearms in general as soon as its reported. They have been banning pages rapidly as well. Even if you haven't violated their guidelines, a "scary" "gun" will be removed. If it has certain firearm related hash tags it is removed as soon as its posted and your account is flagged. They don't even care as there is no consequences or alternative media that wouldn't do the same thing that they are doing.

It used to be they only took down a post if you offer services or are giving away/selling items. But early in 2020 it seems they have made their agenda clear unfortunately and have started removing basically anything they feel like.

Meanwhile thousands of disgusting Onlyfan hogs are pushing their Instagram recruitment pages to lure people, whom mostly are under-age to their onlyfan pages for profits. There are also hundreds of private uncensored gore pages remain untouched by Instagram.
    I've reported many of these pages and I get a message back from Instagram saying they reviewed and approved their content. Like literally what the heck.

This is getting ridiculous.

I don't like the feeling the sport is going to be out-casted and treated as some evil that cant even be seen by the public. That doesn't help public view of the sport in the long run when lawmakers try to ban it in the state level again.

Obviously the solution is to go to forums but we have to post our content on imgur or other platforms then have it embedded here. Which is a weakness when they start taking that stuff down too.

This is just incredibly frustrating.

I just want a place where I can see and communicate with all the other techs in the world like I do on Instagram. It's nice to be able to learn from others and to learn about new products. Most techs dont even use forums anymore. Even if they used to be on Airsoft Mechanics Forum or here.

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You don't have to have your image hosted. You can upload here.

Look for the upload file button when you make a post.

Ben3721 likes this.

3. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I believe Ben is bemoaning the increasingly blatant and unnecessary censorship of anything social media deems as "offensive" or "dangerous", while clearly they are carrying a double standard. Things offensive to certain groups are removed while other groups are entirely ignored.

Why should the few administrators make the decision, and not the user base of Instagram? Another example of how in todays society, the Elite "always know better" then the public, and how free speech has fallen under the wheels of "public safety"

Take for example this vaccine mess. While I'm not necessarily anti-vax, it concerns me that possible health issues or morality issues are completely erased from existence, instead of pursued and dealt with publicly.

But I agree. The anti gun sentiment doesn't pick its targets, it destroys everything in its path, and the sport of airsoft is increasingly at risk of destruction at its hands.

aotsukisho likes this.
  4. slackinoff

slackinoff New Member

I hate the big three, facebook, instagram and twitter. The owners are disgusting human beings who want to forcibly change America to fit their view while at the same time lining their pockets to the max. They don't care who gets hurt in the process. Not one bit, not even children. Look at that recent whistleblower report about what facebook and instagram are making decisions on. I deleted all three from my phone and computer last year.

Wesley Rohring and OutlawAirsoft like this.
  5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Any more media grips will be deleted.

We are an Airsoft Forum...let's keep it that way.

aotsukisho likes this.
  6. Ben3721

Sorry if I created a heated thread.
    I just don't like airsoft being pushed off social media.

The question is where will people go once they cant post any airsoft content on the typical social media platforms that people enjoy.

Edit: It would be nice if a app like Hopup had photo sharing/posting for enjoyment. Not just sales.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    We do need to discuss this though. If airsoft is systematically being removed from popular social media sites, this sport is doomed to always and forever remain a fringe group or to fade away entirely.

Ps: I never used the "big three" anyway, so it's not a particularly personal loss.

Wesley Rohring likes this.
  8. Ben3721

Well, I feel there is a massive difference of twitter/Facebook vs Instagram. Facebook and Twitter are more social pages, not really a place for hobbyists, but for people to keep in touch.

Where Instagram is focused on image/video content on pages, connecting people who have the same interests.

I messaged hopup asking about the possibility but I doubt they will respond or they will figure out/say that it's just too much liability/effort to add a social aspect to their platform.

Until the majority of the sport is kicked off their favorite media platforms they won't go looking or asking for a new place to post their content.

I do hope forums gain hype they used to have, but to most forums are more for asking for technical help rather than posting daily photos.
    I'm actually genuinely surprised people buy and sell on forums still.

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    You can post pictures on forums and in reality it's better than trying to search for something on Instagram. While this search on this system is more like an absent minded professor...you can find historical information here.

As for the ban...their platform their rules. You signed a TOS when you created an account (whether you realized it or not...)

We can make what we like of Airsoft here...and now a forum hosted image 0ucesaukzyg11.jpg of a cat with an Airsoft gun.

Squad144, Chow and OutlawAirsoft like this.
  10. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

They will have to monetize it somehow, most image hosts that don't feature a ton of ads are paid services. Some features from the current app will carry over but it is a lot of dev time and server resources to create and run what is essentially a completely different app.

Also worth mentioning is that you can still hotlink Discord uploads, not sure why they allow this. Example
    [​IMG]

Perhaps it used to be, its acquisition by FB means it is now under the same umbrella 'view' as you unfortunately found out the hard way.

The primary issue people have with FB/IG/YT etc. is not the TOS, it is the deliberate vagueness of that TOS and the blatant differential enforcement. I follow many people who have ran into trouble with the YT police and the system usually automatically denies any appeal and often does not specifically state what action in what video breaks TOS.

Also, the argument that 'their platform their rules' is only fine assuming competition is allowed to thrive. SubscribeStar gained support from ex-Patreon users, but two extremely large payment processors blacklisted SS from their services. LBRY/Odysee is in a legal battle with the SEC due to LBC being considered an 'unregistered security' and apparently a dangerous threat to society, while FB announces Libra/Diem and has the support of some very large corporations and the only lawsuits are regarding logo/branding copyrights. Even Gab is smeared on all sides with accusations about its userbase, despite its competitor Twitter knowingly allowing human trafficking (Case 3:21-cv-00485, Doe vs. Twitter)

How is this relevant to IG/FB banning airsoft posts? "Go make your own platform then" 'they' will say, and we will - then 'they' cry about it to payment processors, web hosts, etc. and have "our own platform" become financially unviable or straight up pull the rug out from under it. AS is hosted by Godaddy, which itself runs off of AWS - they booted AR15.com earlier this year with non-quantifiable and nonspecific claims of "promoting and encouraging violence". Seems like the only difference between "slippery slope argument" and "seeing a pattern" is whether or not it happens. Remember laughing back when iOS (2016), Android (2018), Google (2018), and Twitter (2018) changed the revolver emoji into a squirtgun?

OutlawAirsoft and Ben3721 like this.
  11. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    That is one nice gun. I love the way LCT's look! Pretty cat too...

IKR! I use Opera as my main browser and my Hobby workspace is labeled with a stupid squirt gun instead of a cool revolver!

12. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    People tend I forget that the small steps lead to the large ones... changing the revolver emoji eventually becomes removal and banning of all images (we're seeing that now) then becomes the outright banning of firearms for being dangerous weapons.

What's next? The banning of blunt objects and knives?

Scott Treece likes this.
  13. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Airsoft was here and booming before social media got huge (I don't count myspace), and will remain strong barring a legal ban.

Frankly, if airsoft discussion is banned on social media platforms, where do people go to discuss the hobby? Forums. And how many large airsoft forums are still in existence? 1, maybe 2. I'm not sure on the status of ASF. If the Instagram effect spreads, I would say to expect many more members here in the future.

Ben3721 likes this.
  14. Ben3721

Well once gun content (then airsoft) is no longer allowed on bigger social media platforms they will just go after domains or hosting of platforms like this that support airsoft, if they care enough to do so, which I doubt. The whole anti gun thing is more politically motivated against the power of the people obviously. Airsoft is just toys, you can't overthrow gov with toys so they do not care. They don't see it as a threat right now.

However it seems they have mostly ignored airsoft even with incidents popping up here and there.

What will probably happen is the sport will be banned eventually in Canada then US politicians will get the bright idea to go after us, the sport isn't protected by the 2nd ammendment so it's much easier to regulate.

It also doesn't help that there is tons of YouTube videos of cheaters and fights. Many find the sport from that. That kinda irresponsible stuff posted as the face of the sport will come back to haunt us.

Another absolutely disgusting thing is the movement of gun bunnies switching to airsoft guns for their photo shoots and pushing it towards the airsoft community. This is because posing with real steel is getting their photos taken down so they went to airsoft to keep making their money.

Worst part is all the drooling comments from all the chairsofters. Fools. Oh well.

Squad144 likes this.
  15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Honestly...I can say from historical experience. From local attempts at banning Airsoft in MN, CA's SB-199 and other new legislation that has popped up..

Airsoft is not going to be banned (not like in Canada, once).

It's just the fringe making noise to appease their small base of "supporters" and SB199 is a good model of lots of noise and nothing happening...other than removable tape being put on Airsoft guns.

aotsukisho likes this.
  16. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    True, but the anti gun movement has started attacking everything related to guns, not just firearms themselves.

Take for example the news headline a couple years ago where a kid was suspended from school for chewing a gun shape out of a poptart. Or you could look at the squirt gun emoji. You can't shoot up a school with a poptart, but did anyone care?

The second amendment is so ingrained in conservative areas that they know that outlawing guns outright would result in a civil war.

But when their end goal is the removal of the second amendment, baby steps in that direction are the game plan. That is why airsoft is not safe. They may be toys, but they could be collateral damage in the wake of any ban.

Beyond that, airsofts whole tactical training side could be a red flag to a lot of people.

What really needs to happen is the face of airsoft changed from a war simulation game full of cheaters and angry players to a war simulation game that encourages honor, team work, obedience to local ordinances and laws, responsibility and a great way to exercise. It's as much about the latter as it is about owning and showing off cool replicas.

Once people learn what airsoft actually is, I think few people will have objections to it. We need more content displaying this.

17. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    On a side note....does anyone here actually know how this is done?

I do and I'll detail it out. To repeal the 2nd Amendment Congress must PASS an Amendment to the Constitution to repeal 2A "AND" then this "Must" be voted on by each State legislature and passed with a Majority 3/4 of the States to repeal the Amendment.

One group/organization cannot do it in "baby steps" to erode your right.

"The Constitution’s Article V requires that an amendment be proposed by two-thirds of the House and Senate, or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the state legislatures. It is up to the states to approve a new amendment, with three-quarters of the states voting to ratifying it."

There is "No" other way to repeal 2A - Period. Anyone who whips up people in a frenzy to "protect" their Firearms is unaware of our process in our constitution.

Restrictive Firearm controls are being overturned - subjectively.

So, sounding the alarm for politicians banning and taking away your guns is really....propaganda - Period.

Case in point is Alcohol in the early 20th Century.

"The one instance of an amendment appeal, the 21st Amendment, shows how this unusual process works. The 18th Amendment ratified in 1919 prohibited “the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors” nationwide under most circumstances. By the early 1930s, Prohibition had become unpopular and Congress passed the 21st Amendment, with its repeal provision, in February 1933 just before Franklin Roosevelt became President. The amendment proposed for ratification included language never used before but permitted under Article V: state conventions (and not state legislatures) would be called for ratification votes, out of fear the temperance lobby would influence state lawmakers."

Now overturning un-Constitutional restrictions is a whole other matter and expensive...I blame the lawyers. Many know the restrictions that some "locales" are un-Constitutional. However, they don't make money "helping" locales pass sound legislation. Leave it vague or abstract and the spigot of money can continue to trickle in for decades...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  18. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    My first time playing at the local field here and what do I see but exactly the image you described in real life. Young Lady put your clothes on!

(Sorry I could not find a gif so skip to 0:27)

I agree one hundred percent. I honestly think gun safety should be taught to kids. I believe though that the real problem lies in the parents nowadays; many of whom so far removed from their kids lives that they do not teach their kids basic morals or common sense needed for their kids to make smart decisions. I have been blessed to grow up in a tight Catholic family with two loving parents who have gone above and beyond to teach me my Faith, morals, and common sense (my grandfather is an ex-green beret from the Son Tay raid so gun-safety was drilled into me!). This has allowed me to see the world from a completely different angle. I honestly feel sorry for some of these kids who are misguided and use COD as their crash course in guns. This type of "shoot em' up" game (while very fun) should not be played by the kids from these kinds of homes, as it does lead to misuse of firearms and poor decisions. I honestly feel as though airsoft is a good way to learn responsibility, as it is your job to make sure you are playing by the rules, not being a jerk on the field, using your replica correctly, etc, etc, the list goes on. Airsoft might just be the most misunderstood recreational activity!

OutlawAirsoft likes this.
  19. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    Yes I am very aware of what is necessary to remove the 2nd amendment. The process you mentioned is the constitutional method of removing it. There are other ways. Once they have control of the government and the military, who is saying they have to follow the rules to get their way?

Also, my rights as a gun owner could be infringed, without removing the 2nd. Look at California. No assault rifles, you have to register to buy ammo, no mags with more than 15 rounds, etc. And all this was done with the 2nd in place!

I agree with you to some extent. But "sounding the alarm" is not always just propaganda. At some point someone needs to say something, and people need to listen.

Apparently if you put a frog in a pot of water and slowly heat it up, it will boil before the frog jumps out. People may be the same way. If we are moving further and further away from the constitution (even going so far that one party's radicals are saying it's time for America to go) but doing it at a rate mostly unnoticeable, nothing will be done about it.

But bringing this back to airsoft (this is an airsoft forum after all), I'm not afraid airsoft is going to be banned entirely. My worry is that little things here and there will be restricted, to the point that the sport is unplayable.

20. Ben3721

The other thing is the public view of airsoft to the typical parent.
    Most would think of young children shooting cheap springers from Walmart in the back yard. Then they worry that the cops will blast their kids if they are seen with a realistic toy.

And when you say you play airsoft as a grown adult they will view you as childish and to be dismissed. So when state lawmakers try to ban the sport, they likely will dismiss it as not a big deal. We do not want to be on that fringe.

Most don't know what an actual airsoft skirmish is and that there is a ton of people involved in it.

FuLL-eFFekT1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.