Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Airsoft hobbiest. I have a cybergun colt cqb m4 I'd like to begin upgrading. I'm ordering a 6.03 angel inner barrel. But really I need help picking a hop up and more so do I need a complete hop up we up or just the actual hop up. I don't know the differences be angle is 60 70 and if I need nubs buckings. I'm really only concerned about accuracy for now. Please give me advice. Thanks.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
Hey your from MN!

Been going to TCA or Crossfire?

The parts you are ordering are "not" upgrades.

They are stock parts that are sold as "upgrades".

The Airsoft industry has no level of standards and minimal QC.

How long have you used your AEG in skirmishes?

What are you seeking with "upgrades". If you want range and accuracy. You need a better packing/rubber/bucking and just heavy bbs. Well a new barrel may help in that Cybergun product...but not an Angel Custom Barrel...nor any other house brand Evike barrel.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey your from MN!

Been going to TCA or Crossfire?

The parts you are ordering are "not" upgrades.

They are stock parts that are sold as "upgrades".

The Airsoft industry has no level of standards and minimal QC.

How long have you used your AEG in skirmishes?

What are you seeking with "upgrades". If you want range and accuracy. You need a better packing/rubber/bucking and just heavy bbs. Well a new barrel may help in that Cybergun product...but not an Angel Custom Barrel...nor any other house brand Evike barrel.
So my colt shoots straight on the first shot then the next couple are all over. Like I said this will be my first gun i work on. I'm looking for recommendations on parts/brands to use. I figured the tighter barrel would help but beyond that I don't know which parts need to be replaced to get this gun to shoot straight. I have a krytac mk2 sp R but if like to learn how to maintain/replaced parts on the colt before I ever touch that. Another question. How often should I lube the krytac motor? I've read every 50k shots. I've also read not to use the lube "window" on the side of the gun because that won't necessarily get the lube where you need it to be. Just need a good set of parts to get my colt shooting straight so I have a jumping off point. Thanks :)

Also in answer to your question. I haven't done any skirmishes yet these are for backyard fun but I will be starting to do events soon with coworkworkers. That being said I've put 20-30k rounds through the colt and the krytac each. So I'm assuming both will need basic maintenence soon. I shoot daily with both along with air riffles. The ability to shoot semi auto with a 850 fat nag is just to hard to beat vs cock/pump reload of the air rifles. Granted they are used for more accurate longer range shooting. But overall most of my shooting will be with aegs and I need to learn how to maintain/replace/upgrade.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
Accuracy improvements do not come from a barrel change.

If you hop-up packing is greasy...swapping the barrel does nothing for accuracy.

Accuracy comes from Hop-up Packing/Rubber/bucking bb quality and then the barrel.

I used to work for the company that made that Cybergun M4. It's a cheap AEG, very cheap...the cheapest component they can get their hands on and make it cheaper, cheap. The hop-up packing is about an 80 durometer, like hard chewing gum and will last forever. It however does nothing for range or accuracy.

Bad bb's will also lend to poor accuracy. What brand is your bb and what weight is it?

Lube a motor? Never Do that, ever. Who told you you needed to lubricate an electrical device?

Basic maintenance after 20-30K...Nope. Only thing you may need to do is swab the barrel. You can run 100K on a stock mechbox with minimal issues. And there is no such thing a a lube window on an AEG. Again...where are you getting this information? If it's a person, I would not listen to their advice. If it's a CYB owner manual...I wouldn't be surprised...they put people in the company that know nothing about Airsoft and also not much else either...

I should tell you when the new VP of marketing tried to implement a 5 year warranty on their products...yeah...includes the KWC pistol...ie Colt 1911 CO2...

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The krytac says there's a window on the gearbox shell where lubrication can be applied directly to the gears and piston on the left side. I'm cool with being wrong. Completely new to this and id like the correct information before I get into this. But mentally I'm already hook on the idea of working on these along with the shooting side of the hobby. So packing/rubber/bucking which parts specifically would you recommend? And what brand name barrel? I've been using mainly elite force .20 and 25s. I've got some novritsch .32 coming for the vsr 10 I have. The elites are like lasers in my krytac. I'd just like the colt to shoot straight like it does on the first shot and not send the next two or three off target. This happens consistantly. I get it's a cheap gun and I don't have krytac expectations but at 40 feet the first shot hits so what's the fix to get the rest in the same spot? Alternatively what would you recommend as a upgrade from the colt? G&g raider any good? Would there be a better mid priced gun to get as a cheaper shooter then the krytac to have as a gun to learn modding on? I don't mind buying another one if in the 250 range if the colt really isn't worth the trouble. It was the first aeg i got just to see what they do. And obviously I don't want to mess the krytac up and not have it ready to go when I want to use it.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
This comment is from the "Head of Development" at Krytac on their forums.
+++++++++++++++++++
"
Quote:
So according to evike, that small window or opening on the side of gearbox is meant to put lubrication straight on the gears without having to disassemble the entire gearbox. I was wondering if anyone actually tried this. Did you guys get a can of airsoft silicone and go to town on the gear box by spraying directly into it or did you guys get a qtip, scooped some grease, and applied it?

Dev here: It's actually so you can view positioning of the piston. I have no idea where Evike employees came up with that idea.

The gearbox is self contained. There should be no reason for you to lubricate the gears outside of major maintenance.

That being said. Spray silicone is not good for your gun for a number of reasons:

1. The seals are HNBR, which are oil resistant anyways.
2. There's electronics inside that you can scramble with spray.
3. Spray doesn't have the correct viscosity for gears and will just run off
4. Spray will remove whatever grease is in your gun already. And probably put it on your sensitive components.

For best results, you'll need PTFE silicone grease."

+++++++++++++++++++
Many of his comments reiterate what I have been saying all the time on this forum. He reaffirms my comment that you don't do maintenance on your AEG due to 30K rounds of use.

I can add that I had 3 TM MP5's made Circa 1997 that was used for a movie prop with over 80K cycles of dry firing without any issues. Those AEG's went on for another 4 years of use with no gear box maintenance until one unit chipped a spur gear in a Police training in 2001 at the Minnetonka City Hall.

As for BBs EF is just "average", they are batch manufactured to a "small" tolerance. Some batches are good, some are bad...

Most any AEG is an upgrade from the CYB Colt. Guns from "factories" will fit this bill. Guns from other distributors will not, especially if they are sub-150 in retail pricing.

I would recommend that you stick with the Colt and make it shoot like your Krytac.

Swap the packing first, use a Maple leaf set and you can then fine tune it from there.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
Can you tell us what you are buying?

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
Maple Leaf 60 in?

Delta, Diamond, Monster, Monster Pastille, Super Macaron or MR?

With the latter models, you may have to open up the window on the barrel to accommodate the larger contact patch.

Also you shouldn't be using a "flat" Nub with a ML packing. The are not designed for optimum performance. You should be using their matched solid or curved nub.

If you go Prommy Purple as a set you should have less compatibility issues, but that method of hopping bbs is dated to the old style when the contact patch is rather small.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol. Ok. As I'm new to modding what do you recommend as the easiest to do as far as improving performance with the smallest possibility of error on my part? This is what I mean, this is my entry point to this. Please give me a specific set of items I need. I've briefly watched videos to see what I'm getting into. I've built my own computers so I don't see this being too difficult in the long run but I know in the beginning in virtually clueless as to what I'm doing. This is where I'm leaning on this community for their knowledge. If I have the correct parts i can put the time in and figure it out. Also do you recommend a complete new hop up chamber/kit? or just the bucking and nub? And is evike not good to buy from or just don't go with evikes in house guns?

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
Building a PC is nothing like Modding an Airsoft gun.

PC parts are built to a Standard.

Airsoft parts are built to a loosely followed guideline based on region of manufacture. Back 18 years ago, TM Compatible meant something, today...that means nothing.

What you need to do is post a picture of your barrel window. If it's smaller, then you should run with a more "legacy" option for the hop-up packing. If it's bigger....you have more options.

The stock hop-up unit should be fine unless you have determined the casting is "off", which can happen on CYB products, often.

Buying from Evike is fine, if you know what you are buying. I highly suggest you don't buy consumable items off their site due to the extremely high mark-up on their products.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good. I went ahead and ordered the purple prometheus packing and nub. Ill give that a try and see how it works. Then maybe prometheus barrel after. Thanks for all the help I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
The prommy barrel is over priced for what you get. Do a consistency check on your barrel before you buy...you might not need it.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got both a Prometheus purple and a modify soft in the mail today finally. Picked up a dremel for a side project though I won't need it for this. Now my question. Do I need lube to put the packing/bucking on the barrel? Some videos i watched use lube. And, if so what kind of lube? Silicone? Brand names or generic recommendations please.

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
You never need lube to put a packing on a barrel. You may need it to get it into the hop-up, of which, any liquid will suffice.

I never used oil...

· Administrator
12,536 Posts
It may actually help.

When the Soda dries the stickiness of the sugar residue may help stabilize the barrel in the hop-up unit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.