iPhone as a camera substitute

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by CplFlores, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Instead of buying a $200 gopro camera, I decided to just use my iPhone as a game match camera. I am just wondering if anybody had tried this before, and I need the advice.

2. Batman

Batman New Member

Wichita
    Where will you mount it?

3. Bait

Bait New Member

Yes. I got hard plastic to cover on top of it. Make sure you can still get good shots. I put mine in my Admin pouch so it's almost at my eyes.

4. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Seen it done on various phones.
    Word of advice, grab a Otterbox OR LifeProof case. LifeProof cases are "water proof", Otterbox are fairly water resistant but can also take a nice beating.
    I would even go as far as to attach a piece of plexiglass for extra protection.
    The gun mount (assuming you're gonna mount it onto your gun) is hand made. I've only see a couple after-market mounts, but they're always sold out.

Now keep in mind the frame rate on most cameras aren't good enough to effectively track a BB traveling 400FPS over a range of 50 yards. BBs tend to disappear and reappear from frame to frame, or can be seen in multiple places in a single frame. So don't be the [insert insulting words here] saying "I shot you and here's proof". Use the camera for game footage and simply fun.

5. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    tachyon ops cameras are small and versitile and price is on par with the contour. less than the gopro... I wouldnt risk my phone getting shot or broken if it was dropped or hit

6. bob19922

bob19922 New Member

Old bridge
    This has nothing to do with gas guns at all. Not trying to be a moderator but this should probably go in photography.

7. VTMZ

VTMZ New Member

Paducah
    It wouldn't go under the Airsoft Images & Video section. It should most likely be in the General Airsoft Discussion section.

8. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

Okay, I apologize for putting this thread over where it is. I normally post my replies from my iPhone, and still not familiar with the whole outline of the app. For the camera mount, I am using my old Otterbox Defender case, drilled a hole on the belt clip where the camera lens wound be. I drilled a half of a flashlight rail mount on one side so I could mount it. Trying to find a way to hook it up on my mask... I do have a save phace mask, and I do not use a helmet.

9. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    In terms of the thread's location, please use the report [​IMG] button.

Yeah the Otterbox Defender is the easiest method. Another thing you can do is get a Defender case made for a larger phone and use some sorbothane pads to fill the open space. The pads will act as a buffer to help protect the phone.
    Also make sure you're using the camera on the back of the phone for filming the action. ie the front facing camera should always be facing you.

10. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

That's the way I have it... Thinking about getting plexiglass as well.

11. ryder553

ryder553 New Member

Burlingame
    Make sure you get a water and shock proof case.
    I don't see anything wrong with using your iPhone, but I feel that the GoPro has a much wider field of view...

12. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

I am an airsofter on a budget, and a former Marine. I adapt, improvise, and overcome things... No gopro, use iPhone, lol!

13. bal1

bal1 New Member

This is the wrong section for this.

14. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    How many Gigabytes is your iPhone? It may not have room to hold a lot of video depending on what you have on it.

15. team16airsoft

team16airsoft New Member

If i were you buy a cheap flip camera and not risk an iphone... unless its on ios 6 then it deserves to be shot

16. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

It is on iOS 6, Rotflmao!

17. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

@ Surfer, I have like 5gb left on a 32gb iPhone 4

18. Retrospection

Retrospection New Member

Kimballton
    although I have numerous things I could say right now about this idea, I'll offer the suggestion of getting a Muvi Micro. Mine cost me 50$ and you can record 3hrs of 720p hd video on a full charge. It has removable memory(unlike the iphone :)), and is the size of a thumb. I zip tied mine to my gun and works pretty cool. Small and effective. Very unlikely of getting hit because its a fraction the size of your phone.

19. team16airsoft

team16airsoft New Member

like i said if you dont want a gopro or anything of the sort the iphone has too tall videos, sound is terrible and the fov is horrible plus with HD video id sayyou could get about 1-2 hours of video

20. CplFlores

CplFlores New Member

How about those Action Shot Cameras?