Is it fun to film your airsoft games?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by likeaboz2002, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. likeaboz2002

likeaboz2002 New Member

Colorado Springs
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand gopro to film my airsoft matches. I want to know if filming while airsofting is fun. I enjoy making videos, and would love to make some of my airsofting. Should i buy a gopro or get a pistol and some gear?

2. imnotcrazy777

imnotcrazy777 Active Member Supporting Member

When you first think about the idea of shooting your own footage, it's really fun. Then during the game you're worrying about whether your camera is on, or if it's got a good shot, or you need to get some action going so it's not boring, etc. Then you get home and have a ton of footage to edit (straight uploads are lame). It definitely isn't for everyone, but if you'd like to record it just to have it around then that works too. Don't overload yourself and keep the game fun, avoid changing yourself for the camera.

3. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    When we filmed our games, we used a separate cameraperson and most of the time the footage we got was poor or unusable. The only time we got anything good was when the camera was in the hands of someone who played, but not during the game being filmed. It takes someone who knows what to look for to get good footage. POV can be good as long as there is something going on, but when there is no action, you're just waisting recording time.

However, as a training aid, seeing what you did and comparing it to what you could've done helps you to learn.

4. Str8Oper6n

Str8Oper6n New Member Supporting Member

Just don't let it overwhelm you. Filming can be enjoyable but there comes a point when it overtakes your enjoyment of just playing.

5. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    If you do it for your entertainment and as a hobby then yes it can be fun. I've made several videos but mainly for my enjoyment and if others like it than awesome. It's also a useful training aid and good way to make memories.

on the flip side, I remember watching a video of a youtuber and for him it got to the point where the game wasn't enjoyable anymore because he was constantly running into camera issues / not getting good game play and since he was popular had all the fans following him around the field.

6. Weedies_Airsoft

Weedies_Airsoft New Member

Meadville
    You're talking about levelcap and it is sad he quit making airsoft videos but he made good points in his video explaining why he left.
    Back to the thread, i make videos when i go shooting, if you want a decent starter camera then i would recommend the contour roam 2 its about 100 on Amazon. Thats what i started with. Now i have a roam 3 and use the 2 as a gun cam or backup.

7. JCL

JCL Member

Cohasset
    The only thing I've found as a real negative for the Contour is that finding the Picatinny mounting adapter can be difficult as people buy them from Contour almost immediately as soon as they're in stock. Sometimes they're on ebay, but they're usually pretty expensive.

8. Weedies_Airsoft

Weedies_Airsoft New Member

Meadville
    I had the same problem till i made one with the 3d printer at my school. Plus the one by contour is like $50 on Amazon, when they have them.

9. JCL

JCL Member

Cohasset
    I bought mine from Contours website for 20.

10. Cramerica

Cramerica New Member

Queens
    I find films of games excruciating to watch, personally. But if you do like watching them, then as others said, don't get too caught up in your camera to where you lose sight of your mission. I see a lot of kids with GoPros mounted doing that. Then I pretty much consider them useless on the field.