is it legal?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by ktmflyboy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ktmflyboy

ktmflyboy New Member

Hi i've been playing airsoft for about 2 or 3 years (but just in the backyard with firends) and i was wondering is it legal to play in your backyard if you live in the suburbs?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. Locotus

Locotus New Member

you might want to explain to your neighbors what your doing first so they don't think you're running around with assault rifles

3. ktmflyboy

ktmflyboy New Member

Most of my neighbors know what they are, but, could you get a fine or a warning if seen by the police?

4. The War Store

The War Store New Member

Tonawanda
    possession of a replica firearm is a crime in many cities. discharging an airgun within city limits is a crime in most cities. if you point an airsoft gun at another person who at all feels threatened by your action, that is called menacing, and is a felony offense. possessing a replica firearm in public view is also a felony offense, and you can be charged with brandishing a firearm.

REMEMBER! if you commit any crime with an airsoft gun, you will be charged as if you had used a REAL firearm!

NEVER play airsoft in a public place. No person may openly display or expose any imitation firearm (replica firearm), in a public place. The term "public place" means an area open to the public or exposed to public view and includes streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, parking lots, automobiles, whether moving or not, and buildings open to the general public, including those that serve food or drink, or provide entertainment, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or dwellings and the grounds enclosing them.

And, last but not least, if you are seen by the police, getting a fine or warning is the least of your worries. you may very well be SHOT by the police!

Don't be a douchebag! NEVER play airsoft EXCEPT on designated airsoft or paintball fields, or on private land (for which you have WRITTEN permission) in the country far away from the observation of casual passers-by.

And, NEVER remove the orange tip.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. ktmflyboy

ktmflyboy New Member

ok thank you for telling me

6. jasonakafoo

jasonakafoo New Member

I think it is but i play in the back yard all the time with my friends and nothing bad has ever happened. If i get the cops called to my house though, I'll

1. get inside.
    2. lock all the doors, close the curtains, turn off the lights.
    3. I hide all my airsoft guns (especially the really real looking ones)'
    4. hide under my bed with some snacks for a lil bit. and something to drink.

7. General Lee

General Lee New Member

That is a very bad idea. if the cops get called, go inside and put your airsoft guns near the door in view, but out of reach of where you are standing. Open the door and be polite and explain the situation to the officer. Offer to show him/her the guns, but DO NOT point them anywhere near him/her! It is better if they are on a coffe table and he/she walks up to them and picks them up himself/herself. Apologize for causing a disturbance and say you will try to play on private property from now on, and offer to notify the department ahead of time if you will be playing.

8. seanpatty

seanpatty New Member

Reminds me of Home Alone! lol

9. soulessniper25

soulessniper25 New Member

Yea but if ur playing on your own property isnt that private property?

10. Cornerpedler

Cornerpedler New Member Supporting Member

Listen to the General on this one; Wise words indeed!

:D

11. Spook

Spook New Member

With one minor exception, I agree with the War Store.

The whole orange tip thing is pure BS. A criminal can paint the tip of a real gun orange. It doesn't matter if the tip is orange or not. If you point a gun at a police officer, HE WILL DRILL YOU CENTER MASS AND LET GOD FIGURE IT OUT.

All of my Airsoft guns are REAL-SIM except for one. It's going to be made REAL-SIM as soon as I can get the chance. I hate orange tips, I refuse to use them, they're ridiculous and do nothing to protect me and they ruin the whole MILSIM aspect of the game. They are required for transportation and importation only, NOT for play.

Play on private land out of sight and with permission. This is the safest way to enjoy our sport. It's also wise to let Local LEOs know where you play and post some signs warning people that eye protection is necessary within the area.

12. Cornerpedler

Cornerpedler New Member Supporting Member

In Canada you do not need orange tips, most of us;

- Paint Them
    - Buy Aftermarket black Barrel Tips (Silencer,Supressor,Anti-Flash etc.)
    - Buy from Asia(Full Trademarks, Black Tips)

Peace

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  13. Spook

Spook New Member

Pardonemois mon Francais but the whole orange tip thing is just more asinine liberalism designed to further pussify the American male and continue the wimpification of the nation. A gun is a gun is a gun. Period.

14. jasonakafoo

jasonakafoo New Member

I like orange tips. If I'm playing in my back yard with my friends and some ppl see our airsoft guns and think they're real-not good. I don't want to get shot by police or neighbors that own guns....:(

15. Sathron

Sathron New Member

In NY or at least in my home town if you remove an orange tip its a really big fine.