Featured Is The CYMA Platinum SR-25 a Good Starter Rifle?

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Rambling Banjo, Jan 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM.

1. Rambling Banjo

Rambling Banjo New Member

First off, hi, I'm new. I've been lurking for a while but I needed to ask a question, so here I am.

Nice to meet ya'll.

So I'm a complete noob when it comes to airsoft, and I've been looking around for a rifle for quite a while. I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to buy any of them without consulting someone first, however. My situation is basically this, I can afford any reasonable gun, but as I'm just starting out and I'm not a fan of spending money, I want something on the cheaper side of things that I can upgrade, rather than throw away. I was looking at the Krytac Alpha Crb but learned it has a lot of proprietary gear. I've seen some people recommending the CYMA Platinum Sr-25 for people in my position, and it seems like a good starter to me. I've heard the mosfet has issues, but I can replace it if need be.

Accuracy is the biggest factor for me, that and upgradability. RPS is unimportant. Lightweight is a plus but not a necessity. Basically looking for an all-rounder with a good base that I can upgrade and works for someone who will mostly likely be playing as a marksman once I've learned what I can as a rifleman

Any and all advice is welcome, as are recommendations for other guns. Don't assume I know anything, because I don't.

aotsukisho likes this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    SR25 uses a larger 7.62 replica Magazine. Thus your mag selection will be slim to none. So...not recommending a SR25 based on magazine source.

Accuracy is derived from Hop-up Unit, BB quality and then the barrel.

As for the MOSFET...where do you see them being sold as a readily available part?

3. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet the AR platform and v2 gearbox have the most amount of R&D done for them due to the overwhelming market majority. Hop units, packings, barrels are most of the accuracy. Consistent FPS from a properly set up gearbox is the rest. Upgrade friendliness will be covered a bit in the text below

You will not get a lightweight platform with the .308 AR. Polymer body .223 AR like G&G's M4s are a good choice for a lightweight platform. Metal receivers look more realistic up close and have a more authentic sound especially when reloading but I found that plastic receivers are not nearly as bad as you've probably heard online.

If you are brand new to the hobby then I wouldn't bother with a .308 AR platform. Figuring out compatibility caused me a great deal of headaches as I chose an AR-10 as my second AEG. Until you are familiar enough with v2 gearboxes to identify and understand the differences in the v2.5 setup I would stick with a standard v2 (AR-15/M4/M16, SCAR, MP5 non-K) or v3 (AK, G36, MP5K platform).

If you are looking for a larger gun but want a lighter weight, look for a real-world polymer body like the G36/G36K, TAR-21, or even a later model M14. SCARs might fall into this category but as they are only partial polymer they can be heavy.

If you want a larger gun and want maximum compatibility, the bigger AR-15s are a good place to start. M16 series, Mk12 SPR, or any long barrel civilian AR. AKs tend to be on the bigger and heavier side unless their receiver is plastic, RPK has the long heavy barrel. ACR/Masadas kind of fall into this category but the hop unit design is bad (especially with the A&K one) so I cannot recommend those

Maximum compatibility in a carbine or SBR/SMG package is mainly dominated by the M4A1 (and related models like HK416) market. The MP5SD6, UMP45, or Vector probably being the largest size SMGs but be careful of compatibility with the latter two. If you like the pistol caliber carbine look there are many good options for this as well like the fully-v2 compatible G&G ARP9 or CA X9 and more unique designs with some proprietary parts like KWA's TK.45 and QRF model lines.

If you just want a big gun to be unique and don't care about the learning curve, difficulty obtaining parts, and not being able to find as much info about your replicas then the SR-25/AR-10 platform is fine - avoid the HK417 as its gearbox design is very weak. There are also things like the G3, FAL/L1A1, L85, FN2000, and actually the M249/Minimi or other LMGs if your field/team comp allows.

Very true, and some like the VFC HK417 mags are known to be bad out of the box requiring feed spring and/or follower upgrades (they do exist). CA SR-25 mags aren't too great either and in fact failed to feed out of the box in the AEG it came with. I actually use the Evike Thunderstorm drum mag with SR-25 adapter in my JG body SR-25 and it feeds great. I've had good luck with G&G GR25 mags in my CA AR-10 but the GR25 has a slightly larger magwell so the mags are tight in the CA (which also has an oversize magwell) and do not fit in standard SR-25s.

Rambling Banjo likes this.
  4. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Get yourself a solid AEG on a platform that has a lot of compatible parts. M4 or AK is usually recommended as a first gun because of the abundance of parts and customization options.
    Grab yourself one of those and upgrade to a decent barrel and then get a new packing and flat hop it. Youll be shooting more accurately than most.

5. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Don't flat hop. It's destructive.

Flat hop-up is very dated for what it does...plus it's rather complex.

Just install a Maple Leaf Packing and nub set.

wetpee likes this.
  6. Rambling Banjo

Thanks for the replies, but yeah, I was unaware of sr25's beings that different as a platform. Like I said, don't assume I know anything, because I don't

I would prefer something more mainstream and hence easier to upgrade and repair. I'll most likely bump this thread with a different gun tomorrow.

aotsukisho likes this.
  7. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Well-Known Member

They're different due to the longer receiver compared to AR-15, either with an extended v2.5 gearbox and standard AR hop unit, or a standard v2 gearbox and an extended length hop unit. The former style has some incompatible gearbox components, the latter lacks cylinder air volume to punch out heavy rounds in longer barrels. Figuring out which one you have might be complicated especially when G&G even makes one of each style.

[​IMG]
    GR25 magazine for their Top Tech SR-25

[​IMG]
    TR16 magazine for their more recent 308 SBRs. Note the bb feed point is further back.

Rambling Banjo likes this.
  8. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Ive never been able to get the same consistency from a ML packing setup or a truhop setup or any other of the many packings ive tried.
    I've done quite a lot of experimentation and nothing with the exception of Rhop has ever been able to beat the laser accuracy/grouping of a flat hopped g&g green with a concave ML nub. G&G green is a bit soft though so not recommended for higher fps dmr builds or >30fps builds.

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It's like tires.

Packings don't last forever...just swap it out when it wears to the point of not being useful any more.

Not having assisted you with your ML issue, I can't make any comments with the trouble you had. But, I know a lot of people that have stepped off the old style and on to the new without any major issues.

And learned of another one yesterday, albeit they are stuck on an older ML component due to over sourcing.

10. Splode

Splode Well-Known Member

Fresno
    Its not that i had issues with the ML. It was actually pretty good considering. But it was just slightly inferior to my flat hop in every test i ran. I changed back to the flat hop just to be sure and even tried it with an older worn g&g green packing as well. ML is popular for the drop in ease but i think it adds an additional variable when the packing has its own mound in addition to the nub curve.
    Hmmm... I just realized that we may be talking about BAR hop ups, in which case yes, ML all the way. Nothing better. Different animal altogether.

11. Rambling Banjo

Okay this definitely isn't the next day because life happened, but uh, I have a new round of questions.
    Right now I'm looking at the CYMA Platinum M4 QBS (yeah another CYMA, the seem to have, well not necessarily better rifles, but more worth-upgrading rifles)

The main question is what do you guys think about this rifle, does it make sense for me, is there anything I should know, etc. Same questions as I had for the other rifle.

But also, the Helios Umbrella Corporation M4 (which I understand is also made by CYMA) seems vveeeerryy similar, and I can't figure out exactly what is different besides the logo. That might be the only difference to be perfectly honest.

12. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    Seems like it's just the logo, pistol grip, trigger guard, and which magazine it comes with. With the price being so close, I doubt they've done much to change the innards. Back when Echo1 was offering good cyma AKs, they were upcharging $20 for a different motor in it. At a $5 difference, I doubt there's too much of a difference.

13. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Libertyville
    CYMA platinum M4 series and the Helios umbrella corp are indeed the same exact products with different branding. Pretty common in airsoft especially with Evike. They have several house brands and do not manufacture anything themselves.

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Airsoft is an inverted pyramid in the supply chain...

Worry less about upgrades as a new player...rather go play and develope a play style...then and only then do upgrades on a secondary gun. Do NOT do upgrades on a primary gun.