Is the S&T Tavor any good?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by EuroGirl, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I've held it before and it felt kind of like a toy in my hands, like a cheap action figure. Not many people like them, and I don't myself. I personally recommend you get something from JG, CYMA, G&P, or ICS. Those are my favorite companies. :)

EDIT: The gearbox shell is made of plastic, which is generally found in LPEGs. This fact probably makes the shell more vulnerable to cracking.

2. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

Of choose classic army over CYMA never really saw anything good from them.....I think there one of the lower end airsoft companies.

3. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

I don't think I quite follow... Of choose? x)

4. Nelson

Nelson Review Guru Supporting Member

Spokane
    The gearbox is plastic yes, but many people have actually found it fairly strong. It seems to hold up better than pot metal.

I have also heard they came out with one that now has a metal gearbox. I'll let someone who actually has the gun give better info but from what I've seen lately, the consensus is that it's not to bad of a gun.

5. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    It's an ok gun. More of a beginners gun. I wouldn't suggest it for heavy upgrades.

The plastic gearbox is like the old STAR M249 gearboxes. Not the "plastic" you're thinking of. But a thick plastic (not too sure what kind). It can hold up to a M120.
    I'll let you know when the kids one I upgraded breaks or something lol. He hasn't been having problems yet. 380 fps at 16 bps.

Only really bad things are that the gun feels like holding a Nerf gun. The trigger pull is horrible and long.

And yes, the newer versions come with the "metal" pot metal gearbox lol.

6. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    The "plastic" gearbox is no actually plastic it is polycarbonate which is far less likely to crack compared to the cheaper pot-metal gearboxes of the companies like CYMA and JG. The Poly gearbox will be able to take more stress than a pot-metal gearbox because it will mold to the gears instead of cracking.

Check out my review of the gun for some more info.
    http://www.airsoftsociety.com/reviews/tavor-tar-21-explorer.html

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    S&T now comes with metal gearboxes (make sure you don't get the older plastic ones). the body parts are not solid, but can be shimmed. there is more battery space on the S&T compared to the rear battery compartment of the Ares. trigger system is similar to Ares. if you don't mind the lighter plastic feel of the body, S&T is not that bad. S&T and Ares looks very similar. i had a hard time trying to distinguish them on the wall rack.

i wouldn't mind getting one for cqb and leave my Ares for woodland use.

8. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    Like I've said before the S&T is a great choice if you love Tavors like Alex and myself but cannot afford at Ares.

9. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    Actually JGs gearboxes are fairly strong.

10. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    I know I'm just saying the Poly is less likely to crack than a JG. I never said it wasn't strong.

11. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

I'm just wondering if its a good gun to upgrade later on. As well as if it's a good deal for the money.

12. Foshizl

Foshizl New Member

St. Louis
    You might be better off getting something affordable, and since you're looking to upgrade it, a tried and true platform gun.
    I agree, that, CYMA isn't the greatest company, but their V.7 gearboxes make great platforms, just as JG's M4 Enhanced makes a great platform I have heard.
    Keep looking around, find what strikes your fancy, or what is within your moola range, and then keep looking. There is always more out there!
    I too have held the tavor, and it seems like it might be fun, but I wasn't impressed. It felt......like a toy. Too much plastic moving parts on the externals, stuff like that. I personally like solid guns, like AKs, SAWs, a good M4, or an M14 (I love M14s).
    It's all up to you, in the end.

13. VTMZ

VTMZ New Member

Paducah
    How has marine not already come in here and said "There's a thread for this blah blah blah? " It's because she's a female right?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. EuroGirl

EuroGirl New Member

I have a budget of 400 but in the summer ill have 2k to spend on airsoft, but not sure if I want to spend a lot on a gun. It would be nice to get one that already comes out of the box better than basically everything else.....

15. Rusty34

Rusty34 New Member

Corneria
    For the price, you are better off with something else. However, it is not a bad gun, it's actually quite fun to play with and it will last.

16. MR38

MR38 New Member

Washington
    With that price range I would look into an Ares Tavor.

17. DadCRO

DadCRO New Member

The V.7 gearbox is so nice. Sure, you have to take off the trigger assembly before opening the box, but the AR latch is so docile.

18. Foshizl

Foshizl New Member

St. Louis
    0.0 Sooooo...you're rich?
    lol jk What specific role are you going for? Assault? Sniper? Support? or just want something as eye catching as you on the field? The tavor is a real head turner, but with 2k to spend on a gun, I would recommend getting something like a Systema PTW, as well as some gear if you need any.
    The Ares Tavor might be a better alternative than the S&T. Ares is a great company.

Aren't they?? I'm actually working on a M14 now, trying to make it a DMR, had to get a CYMA drop in gearbox. I'm pretty excited about the results when I get finished with this.