JG M4 S System Upgrades *Many pictures

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ld513, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    I've got a JG M4 S System with a pre upgraded gearbox, and was wondering what some possible upgrades I can do on it are.... I've got a relatively small budget and want to make the most out of any internal upgrades. Looking for accuracy and maybe a higher ROF if possible as the fps is already too high for me to play at some local fields. My shots consitently have a slight curve to the right. Also the battery is meant to go in the handguard but it only fits a mini 8.4. To fix this I got a false PEQ box but it's extremley annoying and i was wondering if i can get a new stock and wire the battery back there or get a different attachment to hold it on the front. There's some grease (I think that's what it is) on the GB should I wipe it down and then regrease with White Lithium Grease? The silver thin piece of metal on the outside of my GB has to be held down when i close my gun up, is this a problem? And lastly what does that little black button that is attached to the lower reciever do?I'm a newb at internals so I'm sorry if some of my questions seem a bit dumb.

Gun:
    JG M4 S-System Airsoft Gun ( Enhanced Version ) by: JG - Airsoft GI -

Pics (couple more in next post):

Attached Files:

2. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Just realized that's all of the pics I had if you guys need me to take more of something specific just say so.

3. Age

Age New Member

What is your exact budget? That will effect what upgrades are recommended.

4. Tackett

Tackett New Member

Charleston
    Here's what I think, and if Age is helping you, feel free to ignore me entirely....lol

With the JG having a m120. I would actually short stroke the piston a couple of teeth. This will lower your fps a hair, and increase your rof some as well.
    A lipo will absolutely fit. Measure the existing battery, go on hobbyking.com and pick you out a 11.1v that is a equable size.
    I would do your best to lighten the piston as much as possible.
    A metal spring guide if needed
    Steel bushings of needed (you could technically get bearings and it will increase the ROF, but i don't know how long that would last...)
    I would keep the stock barrel until you figure out you don't like it before changing it "just because".
    Look into the R-hop. If you are too intimidated by that, then we can talk alternatives.
    Reshim (this is probably the most important thing.)
    Ultra high torque neo motor
    MOSFET
    Deans

I would like to know your budget as well...

5. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    My budget is about $100.
    My enitre GB is metal Tackett so I'm not sure if replacing my metal spring guide with a nicer quality one is a practical upgrade, although I don't really know much about the internals so maybe it does...
    Is short stroking and adjusting AoE hard? I'm slightly accident prone and don't want to shave too much off. Is there a big difference in a high torque motor and an ultra high torque neo?
    And are your saying a 11.1v LiPo will fit in a 8.4 mini battery area or the external PEQ?

6. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    *bump (lalaalalalalalalalala 20 character rule)

7. RCV

RCV New Member

$100 is a good budget. Grab some of these :

SHS 13:1 gears $<20
    SHS piston $<10
    SHS 7mm bushings $<5
    SHS shims $<3
    SHS high speed motor $<30
    Guarder sp90 $<15
    Systema bucking $<8
    Deans connectors $<5
    Washer for AoE $<1

AoE is placing a washer on your cylinder head. Very easy. Swiss cheesing is drilling holes in your piston to lighten it. Make sure you shim it like mentioned in the guide above.

8. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Oh my bad the sticky guide is slightly misleading. They short stroked the 2nd piston tooth I guess as well as adjusted the AoE. Thanks for your input. Surprised anyone would respond with the giveaway up

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    AOE needs adjusting. keep it stock and upgrade whatever breaks or wears down. test for airleaks and upgrade those parts.
    do you want a higher rate of fire? i don't recommend an 11.1v, a 7.4v 20c or 25c 1800 mAH fits in there fine. 11.1v will require trimming the inside handguard to fit without damaging it.

10. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Why keep it stock? Because it's a tank? Haha I'm curious. Thanks for the info on the lipo alex

11. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a waste of $$$. parts that can't tolerate certain performance levels are the ones that need to be upgraded. it has a nice torque motor that can handle sp150 springs (500+ fps). it's not the fastest motor, but it can hit 27-30 rps with 11.1v 25c 1800 mAH with stock gears up to m120 spring. stronger springs will require a hardened pinion gear and more precise shimming.

stock piston/head works fine. check airseal. i usually upgrade to madbull blue bucking and guarder o-ring nozzle for reliable airseal and hopup grip.

when upgrading, decide what performance goals you want to achieve.

12. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    Removing your second and most of the time 3rd piston teeth when correcting your AOE is not Short Stroking. You remove those teeth because when you correct your AOE your piston is 99.999999% of the time your piston is pushed farther back, and if you don't remove those teeth your sector gear will come in contact with those instead of your pistons pick up tooth. This will lead to severe wear and will eventually strip those first teeth that the sector is contacting and or strip or break your pistons release tooth...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  13. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    Can anyone answer my original questions? I want to upgrade to increase peformance Mystery43 so I do not believe this is a waste of money. Is here anyway to make it shoot straighter? BBs consitently veer off to the right a couple feet from my sights at ranges over 100 feet. What brand hop up unit should I get? and is R-Hop a good type? I've read alot of peoples posts on here that argue for and against it. What brand Bucking?

14. ebbeer1

ebbeer1 New Member

You can do r hop, but it takes patience to do.

15. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the thin silver piece, are you referring to the wire guard? if you need to hold it down, then you need to unscrew it and reshape it so it is tucked in.
    as for the black button? you mean the mag release? can you take a picture of it?
    i recommend madbull blue hopup bucking. no need to replace the entire hopup. i don't recommend an r-hop until you are comfortable modding your gun.

16. ld513

ld513 New Member

Cincinnati
    I don't feel like taking another picture. Both are shown in the 2nd photo. From left to right you can see wires, silver thingy, then black button. If you really want more pics I will pull out the camera tomarrow.

17. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    the top lever is a bolt release for a real steel m4/ar15. it's cosmetic on AEG's. same with the forward assist on the other side.

18. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    I said nothing about it being a waste of money. The R-hop is not a type of hop up unit. It is a custom concave contact patch that is placed in the barrel window. A bucking with the mound and guide line removed is then placed over the barrel and the assembly is inserted into the hop up. This is by no means a drop in part and requires extensive modification for each and every different application. Many experiences techs have difficulties properly installing and tuning the R-hop. I recommend that you stick to a systema or Madbull blue bucking with a PCS nub...