Jg M4 S-System

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by IntermediatePlayer, Nov 5, 2012.

1. IntermediatePlayer

IntermediatePlayer New Member

Des Moines
    I've been involved in airsoft for a few years now, and am just now deciding to do some internal upgrades. I got my 2009 JG M4 s system enhanced version a few months ago, and it performs like crap. I sent it back to Airsoft Megastore, they replaced the bucking, and sent it back claiming it was fixed. Well it wasn't and I really didn't want to spend another $50 to ship it back and have them not fix it. So there. There's my reasoning for finally getting involved in upgrades. Sorry for the rambling.

I'm looking to get about 20rps while using an M120 spring, my question is, what do I need to get to achieve that goal, and keep my gun from breaking because of it?

So far what I'm thinking is:
    Shs x-mod soft hop up bucking
    Src 2 piece hop up chamber
    Shs x-mod metal air nozzle (has an o-ring)
    Shs x-mod metal cylinder head (with double o-ring)
    Shs x-mod 16:1 low noise gear set
    Shs x-mod metal spring guide (bearing)
    Aps polycarb max compression piston head (not bearing)
    Shs x-mod shim set
    Shs x-mod 6mm metal bushings (not bearings)
    Intellect 8.4v mini (would get a 9.6, but the battery comp is tiny)

And then leave the piston, cylinder, spring, trigger stuff, and motor stock.
    Suggestions?

And I'm planning on just going to a hardware store and getting some superlube.
    Other than that, I would perfer to get everything from the same place online, and call me stupid, but all the stuff listed is from Airsoft Megastore, I have bought from them in the past and had good experiences.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. xXTacoMcFacoXx

xXTacoMcFacoXx New Member

I would also get a new, stronger piston and piston head for increased durability over the stock ones. High rps on an M120 is quite a bit of stress.

3. corntato

corntato New Member

If you want 20rps you need a better battery. A 9.6 will fit ( i use one in the very same gun) but it takes some modification. Theres youtube videos on how to do it but basically you can just reroute the wire and fusebox to the top of the barrel and you could cram it in there. If you want it to fit nice you have to do the mods from the videos on youtube. If you cant find them let me know.

Otherwise a 7.4v lipo is the way to go but still im very skeptical about hitting 20rps with that a 11.1v will most likely be what you need for that rof.

Also a new motor some deans and new wiring should be on your list if you want rps

4. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    1. So would the polycarb piston head not be strong enough?
    2. As far as the piston goes, would you advise full metal teeth, a few metal or all plastic? Because if I got a full metal wouldn't it be more difficult to get the AoE right? But it still needs to be durable
    3. Yeah, on second thought i'll probably try to cram a 9.6 in there

So does everything else look good? I've heard pretty good things about SHS X-Mod parts.

And thanks for the quick replies guys, I appreciate it.

5. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    1. Yes the polycarbonate piston head will work perfectly fine
    2. Piston preference is up to you. Full metal teeth is less hassle. AOE is the same, if not a small percent easier to AOE then plastic teeth.
    3. Cram a 9.6v batt, or a high discharge 7.4v LiPo.

JG m4 gearbox's from that time are 7mm bearings, not 6mm.

I'll post more if I see something, I'm on my phone that's why.

6. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    20 bps isn't that fast. A poly carb piston head will do just fine. It would still be fine on 40+ bps, just lock thread the back.

If you're running the original Chinese rebrand blue motor, you might not hit 20 bps on the 9.6v battery. You might get about 16-18 bps. Just a word of warning.

7. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    Ok good to know about the bushings, and here's the motor that came stock: image.jpg it has good reviews from what I've seen, but would i need a new one for this?

8. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    Alright the changes ive made to my original post are:
    1. 9.6v intellect batt (1600)
    2. Full steel tooth SHS polycarb piston

And I took off the bushings, does anyone know if it comes stock with metal ones? If so I might just leave those.

9. corntato

corntato New Member

Yes it has metal bushings

10. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Should come stock with metal ones. But they are pretty crude in how they are cast. But I would change them out personally. They tend to crack easily. On less thing to go wrong.

That's the motor. It's a decent motor, don't get me wrong. Just not the best for achieving a higher rate of fire lol.

11. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    Are ball bearing bushings ok? And would that motor be able to do at least 15rps?

Are ball bearing bushings ok? Ive heard from some people that they're basically frag grenades inside your gearbox. And do you think the stock motor could at least get me to around 15rps woth everything else?

Edit: woops, didnt realise it just went to a second page. I didnt mean to post same thing twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  12. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    if your shimming is off (tight), it will damage the bearings. also, if you get dirt/sand in the bearings, it will also cause damage. i use bearings for high speed builds and sometimes on the bevel gear for other builds. whenever there's a gearbox lockup, expect the bearings to fall apart (especially 8mm). i haven't had any problems with 7mm bearings on echo1's (upgraded JG's).

bushings are more durable and cheaper.

you lose rps from poor electrical systems. use 16awg, deans, mosfet and as short as possible cable length (i remove fuses and solder the motor connection). that should improve your rps. JG blue motors are not speed motors, but can run 13:1 gearsets with a short stroked m120-130 just fine without excessive heating on continuous burst.

7.4v or 11.1v LiPo recommended for jg blue motor (depends on what rps you are going for).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    Would the red JG motor make a big difference?

14. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i've never used a JG red yet. do people buy those or do they come in newer JG m4's? don't forget that your battery plays a big part on your AEG's performance.

15. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    No, the blue ones are stock now, it says 18000rpm for those, and claims 23000 for the red that you would have to upgrade to. If that makes any sense.

And I don't really want to or know how to change wiring and that sort of thing.

16. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Sadly it's needed to be bought seperately lol. They weirdly come random on some "ECHO1" custom guns randomly lol.

Battery is huge part. He's trying to base it off a 9.6v 1600mah NiCd I think

They're "OK" lol. I would suggest getting solid type bushings. Less worry and hassle in the long run.
    But "Alex" is right about the ball bearing bushings. They do their job for certain purposes. Just go with solid types in this case though

The stock motor should put you 16+ bps.

No worries man. My phone does that a lot lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
  17. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    I was planning on using a Intellect Premium 9.6V Ni-MH 1600 MAH

18. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    It should put you 16+ bps with that battery. Fully "overcharged" (don't mind my stupidness) right off the charger will get you 18+ bps I think lol.

A high speed motor would get you to the 20 range.

19. IntermediatePlayer

Des Moines
    Ok I'll probably just stick with the stock motor. Only because motors are kinda expensive, and 16-18 is a pretty good upgrade from the like 12rps I'm getting right now. Everything else good?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  20. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    I would recommend ordering SHS parts from clandestineairsoft.com if you haven't already. They're the same as the X-mod SHS parts, but at the correct pricing lol ($8 for a piston, $17 for a gearset, etc.) The X-mod stuff is just expensive because ASMS can make it expensive. Tackett debated with an employee from megastore about the parts, if you can find the thread it's quite a good read.