Jg m4 - upgraded

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by alek9952, Sep 30, 2012.

1. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

Ok so I've had a jg m4 s-system and bought it with some enhanced and new motor but am willing to upgrade, also it came with a MOSFET chip and a 8.6v battery, i was wondering also what type of inner barrel, bucking and hop up system i should replace, and if i could fit a lipoo11.1v in there

2. blue2014

blue2014 New Member

What are you're goals.

3. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

Well im trying to find a way to get the guns rof and accuracy higher

4. blue2014

blue2014 New Member

Ok.Could you get more specific like "25rps and accurate to 200'."

5. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

My goals are to improve the rof and accuracy of the gun

6. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

To be honest with you the rpm is generally preety high at like 24 rps but i would like to get it at 27ish and accuracy im not entirly sure how to measure that because im reletively new to airsoft

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    madbull blue bucking. use the original nub. adjust your hopup for slight upward curve. should reach 200 feet easy with full auto.

11.1v's come in different sizes. the ones that do fit offers poor performance. there are ways to increase rps.

13:1 gear ratio with any neodymium motor (SHS, element, JG, etc). AOE needs to be adjusted to prevent piston pickup tooth failure. shimming bevel to pinion prevents excess wear.

adding a high discharge 11.1v using a PEQ box will increase ROF but will introduce overspin. m130 + short stroking will reduce this. i prefer steel rack pistons for 11.1v/400fps builds. stock JG springs don't last long at high ROF.

8. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

So in all what would i need to purchase

9. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    first, get a chrono, then chrono it. you will need this to determine if there are leaks in the system.
    then, open up the gearbox, take pictures and post them (including the mosfet).
    next, put the gearbox back together and re-chrono it.

now you need to purchase the correct tools for adjusting AOE.
    Dremel and cutting attachments.

a plan on what cylinder spacer to use. i use (1/2L faucet washer from home depot) rubber washer glued to the cylinder head. others use sorbo with a protective layer.

depending on airseal, you may need to purchase an o-ring nozzle (deepfire).

i prefer SHS 14T or 15T with guarder piston head (#14 o-ring may be necessary from home depot, may also need to be heat stretched).

if it hasn't been done already, replace wiring with 16awg (pvc coated 16awg is about as thin as 18awg wiring). you will need a solder iron, shrink tubing, and leaded solder.

you will also need both light weigh and heavy weigh lube (silicon). light lube for o-rings/guides and heavier for gears.

teflon tape will be necessary for sealing hopup/cylinder heads/shimming barrel
    if using 11.1v LiPo, don't forget a small field volt meter and a balance charger.

optional tools: bolt cutter, butane torch, sand paper, gasket sealant, bench grinder, vertical drill press, multimeter, digital scale and indoor shooting box.

10. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

Thank u, but just to remind you i am a begginer this is my second aeg and im willing to spend up to 125 dollars on this project

11. schueller

schueller New Member

Dodgeville
    Replace the dremel with a wood file in your garage, if that list isn't already under $125. hobbyking.com for your lipo set, mine was $21 shipped in two weeks. I would be surprised if there isn't a volt meter in the garage as well. The piston is $8 max, wiring will most likely be the most expensive thing alex listed.

12. alek9952

alek9952 New Member

I am an uber noob this is my first project never done anything with wires so idk im slightly on edge, i dissasembled the gun and there is a tight bore barrel already so i think just replacing the gearbox and bucking systems and i think that will be fine

13. Dr3wC1ph3r

Dr3wC1ph3r New Member

Novato
    Apologies for opening an older thread if dead...

Everything the other threads said plus my own $0.02

YouTube is a wealth of knowledge as well as the threads...that's where I picked up most of the tips and trick I've used since I started and just applying some common sense and trial and error. You just have to get your feet wet!

I have the JG6613 and have performed the following I believe yours is similar other than the metal body so here goes.

Replace the Dremel with a hacksaw also,

the cylinder is already ported and decent so keep it,

the piston head is ported and decent so keep it also,

the piston is FRP/Nylon and has a full metal tooth rack so keep it but for AOE you will file down the tooth,

the outer bore is pretty tight...I could only get one good wrap of PTFE tape around it to stabilize it but do it anyways it will really help with accuracy.

Cut a notch in the top of the anti-reverse latch and save yourself TONS of headache...once you open the JG gearbox you will let out the MAGIC and it will never work the same again :)

Personally...I drilled a small discreet corresponding hole through the receiver to the notched reversal latch so that I can unlock it anytime...

If and when you replace the bucking, flip it inside out and get some 1000 grit sandpaper and rough up the nub a bit to break it in.

I broke teeth on the stock gearset the first time I used a 11.1v LiPo. I replaced them with a set of SHS Helical cut 100:200 Torque gears. No problems now. The ROF stays about the same as if you were using an 8.4v rough guesstimate.

I also added a BWKKE (Burst Wizard King Kong Elite) Mosfet Hardwired to the setup because the Mosfet JG adds is just a gate mosfet and doesn't add any fire control. This is not a plug for the BWKKE, I have just had good dealings with it. It is not to be confused with the "Burst Wizard" or the "Avocado Wizard" that I have read about that may or may not be "true" mosfets. I don't know about them and don't care. This one is inexpensive and has TRUE MOSFETS in it and is also programmable so it may fit the bill for you if you are in the market for such features. Otherwise you can stick with the JG OE one (which I am currently looking for a way to hack into an AB MOSFET...More on that later :)

Basically, from the factory this thing is a beast that leaks like a sieve. Great Core components with some crap surrounding components that are cheap to replace...the bucking, air seal nozzle, gearset, and then just some basic modifications that are at this great primer on airsmithing-
    http://www.airsoftct.com/ages-air-smithing-guide-shimming-greasing-aoe-mosfets-etc/

And this one on understanding what it takes to make a DMR (Designated Marksmans Rifle)-
    http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=892

Again...All these suggestions are in an attempt to eek out performance while saving money...the HOLY GRAIL Right? ;-)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012