Jg piston strip

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by airsoftplayer14, Dec 8, 2012.

1. airsoftplayer14

airsoftplayer14 New Member

So Today I just installed my new shs high torque motor into my brand new right out of the box,jg g3. So I went to fire the gun and it instantly stripped the piston. I installed a m130,metal bushings, re shimed, and relubed the gears. What I need help with is to find a piston for this set up that will last me a long time. Thanks

2. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Well first, you probably didn't correct the AOE which is probably why your piston failed. Look into a Lonex piston for a good upgrade. Also, correct the AOE :p

3. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I definitely agree with getting a Lonex piston, those pistons just refuse to die. I've had Lonex blues survive PME multiple times, and the red ones are built like tanks.

4. airsoftplayer14

Sorry I forgot to add that I did the AOE correctly with some sorbothane. Are the shs piston specifically the clear blue piston.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. TheAirsoftTech

Maybe your piston wasn't strong enough then. But, a Lonex piston will be better than SHS, considering SHS has been having QC issues lately. IRC, Alex used one recently and broke a tooth off a sector gear because of it.

6. airsoftplayer14

Is a AIM aeg torque up gear and piston set good enough,because I just bought one for $30 brand new.

7. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Superior
    Just stick with lonex shs brands like that.

8. TheAirsoftTech

I'm not sure on the quality, but if the gears are "torque up" gears they're unnecessary for a m130 spring......

9. airsoftplayer14

I also have a g&g cm that comes with rails I dont know the exact name. But I put a m130 spring in it and I was wondering how long the piston will last if I used the gun on semi only?

10. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    AOE: fix with SORBO pads & short stroke if needed.
    Full metal tooth piston is probably the safest bet.
    *Swiss cheese if desired*

Delayer chip on the sector gear, make sure you have a ball bearing spring guide.
    Lastly make sure there is enough room for the M130 spring.

In my V3 gearbox the spring guide and sorbo AOE correction made it really difficult to put an M130 in, so I used an M120 instead. I get about 395-ish with .2g bb's

11. airsoftplayer14

Ok thanks because right now my g&g with m130 spring is shooting through a towel and then going through a cardboard box and still has some hitting power. I also found out that some how that the piston on my jg g3 came off the rails and locked up and my shs high torque motor ripped it apart.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  12. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    If you had a corrected AOE you probably ran into pre engagement. Get yourself a lonex blue and look up videos on swiss cheesing as lonex pistons are a little on the heavy side which can run you back into the same problem. A bearing spring guide, as someone above had said is also a good idea. Make sure your piston head is a normal ported one without bearings.

Edit: Looking at the spring your using, you shouldn't be running into PE problems assuming you don't have a rediculous ROF. I suspect the piston you had could have been a little on the chunky side for your gearbox, causing for it to drag a little increasing resistance while in movement.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  13. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Well, as it says above, AOE correction.

Easier route, just grab a full steel tooth piston.

SHS is ok for now. Our shipment is doing ok. I haven't run into "Alex's" bad luck black steel tooth rack ones yet :/ lol.

If you go the steel tooth rack one, you don't really need to worry about AOE as much. You can get away with just installing it, and super gluing/Epoxy'ing the teeth rack.

Swiss cheesing is optional but recommended. Since the piston is little on the heavy side. Not as much as a Lonex ET piston though.

If your G3 didn't have a metal spring guide, I suggest changing that out in the long run. As the polycarbonate/abs plastic one will crack under a m120-m130 spring at a <20 bps set up. Just a thought, and not 100% necessary.

Just buy a full metal racked piston, use the stock piston head. Correct AOE is you want. Epoxy/Super Glue the rack. And you'll be good to go for a long time.

Good luck :)

14. airsoftplayer14

I have corrected the aoe
    and when I looked in the gear box the pick up tooth on the piston blew off and is hanging by a thread. Also I accidentally left the gun fully cocked back on a m130 spring. Also how many rounds will a stock g&g piston last on a m130 spring? O i forgot I replaced the plastic spring guide

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  15. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    A stock G&G piston won't last that long on a M130 spring. Usually the last metal tooth/insert will warp and break. Or evidently strip itself. And you're gearbox will start locking up all the time till you install a new piston.

I would suggest just getting a full metal rack piston. 14t or 15t. No matter.

16. airsoftplayer14

Whats the difference between a 14 tooth and a 15 tooth piston?

17. airsoftplayer14

Im planning on buying a new Barrel for my g3 and I need to know how long it is. Thanks!

18. airsoftplayer14

Why do I keep breaking teeth off my spur gear I went through two spur gears in less than 10 rounds!!

19. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    What kind of spur?

Are you shimming correctly?

Is there spur gear contact with the bevel bushing?

Clean the gearbox? Idk lol

20. airsoftplayer14

The spur gear its the gear that is under the sector gear. And it wasnt touching the bushing. And I also cleaned the gear box and really greased it.