JG Scorpion R2 VZ61 VZ-61 (questions)

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by jbwigg, Jul 29, 2015.

1. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    This is for people who have a confident answer and not just some guess.

I'm looking into this as a secondary and I'm hesitant on issues concerning its fps.
    I'm not questioning its range but we have people (local) that wear too thick clothes to fell anything below 350 fps (according to them).
    I was hoping through either internal modification or longer tbb that this could be in the mid 300's reliable.
    My guess is that the barrel is too short for higher fps because of cylinder to barrel ratio. Thus possibly needing a longer barrel with suppressor. This is my go to option if someone can chrono prove this being the case. I just don't feel like pushing the internal limits trying to have a heavier spring. Granted I would re shim, sorbo, aoe, radius and air seal mods if I did open the gearbox. My only concern is, is that I've never dealt with anything mid-high end gearbox other than v2 and v3.

Please share your knowledge as I've tried to find more info with it coming out soon for $75 at evike.

2. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    A longer barrel would only make the problem worse...you would lose FPS due to undervoluming.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    AEPs are not going to get above 300 FPS reliably. There are too many limitations with the tiny gearbox and proprietary motor.

Parts are expensive and can be hard to source domestically. Airsoft Atlanta has the best AEP parts selection in the US, but it's still not a lot.

If you need a small electric SMG that'll hit 350 FPS, look at the MP5K AEGs. They use a standard V3 gearbox and can be upgraded far easier and less expensive than an AEP can.

4. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

The motors are just RC motors, you can find them pretty easily as long as you know the length of the armature.

5. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    The pistols use a standard 370 RC motor. The SMG motors have an extended shaft.

I've looked at dozens of RC hobby sites and have never found one with a long enough shaft to fit the SMG AEP Gearbox.
    I toyed with rewinding one of my old ones, but I did not believe the performance increase justified the time and/or hassle.

AEPs are a niche product to fill a specific need/role. AEG levels of performance were never intended for these packages.

As I said above, one will be hard pressed to get even 300 FPS performance reliably out of one of these gearboxes.

6. jbwigg

jbwigg Member

Brookhaven
    Thanks. I might give this gun a try but I also found a replacement gearbox (cheap) that I might get to put a heavier spring in to test it. I just didn't think the tiny barrel was volumized to the cylinder is why I mentioned the suppressor for added fps.

7. plasticnoob

plasticnoob Active Member

hidden city
    They operate on a high cap magazine not good for a pistol/back up IMO. You need both hands to use it. This would make a nice gun as a loner to a friend in a cqb city style airsoft place though

8. Sparky_D

Pierce County

They have standard low cap mags available too. The TM magazines work in them as well.

And the hi-cap stick mags will shoot most of the BBs on a full wind.

Drum mags are good for about 100-120 rounds between winds and are much easier to wind than the sticks.