Jg sig 550 barrel length question.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ViennaAirsoft, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ViennaAirsoft

ViennaAirsoft New Member

As the title reads this deals with the JG sig 550. The thing I'm wondering about is this; when I took the gun apart to tune it the cylinder appeared to be the exact same as the 552's (from what I've seen on videos online concerning the 552's gearbox prior to opening the 550 itself so I had some idea of what to expect) in fact I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING is the same. Anyways this concerns me because the barrel lengths on these two guns are VERY different. I've seen where it was advised to put in a type 0 cylinder, but I want to know if you could simply lower the barrel length to avoid hassling with that gearbox again (it was a pain...the trigger and switch assembly kept popping out) the first time I took it apart I threw in the cylinder with the port nearest the end (towards the spring guide that is) so that I had some more volume than the stock cylinder. The cylinder belonged to an ICS m4 with the barrel length of 363mm...where the sig 550's is a good amount larger....so if I throw in a 363mm barrel in, would the rest of the outer barrel effect the bb's flight path in any way? I'm thinking it will but I just want to hear what you all have to say as I'm not sure myself

2. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    I just tore one of these apart tonight, the length of the 550 barrel is about 508mm, so a 363 is going to be much shorter and that means there's a good chance of the outer barrel causing problems, especially if your bb wobbles on its way out of the gun. However, I compared the inner barrel of the 550 to an inner barrel of an M-16 and they were the same length. What this tells me is the cylinder of the M-4 should be fine with the longer barrel of the 550. It would appear that unless the barrel length is excessively different, the cylinders for both the longer and shorter inner barrels are basically the same.

If anyone disagrees with this information, please advice; after all, the more one knows, the better one is informed.

3. ViennaAirsoft

ViennaAirsoft New Member

Yeah I was worried about having the barrel shortened by that much because the bb could go anywhere then since it isn't contained in the inner barrel anymore. It shoots alright with the m4 cylinder, but I think I'm gonna pick up a type 0 cylinder for it anyways since its at 500mm