Featured Just a hello.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Ric Mirto, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:18 PM.

Tags:
  1. Ric Mirto

Ric Mirto New Member

Virginia Beach
    Hello everyone . I am a former Marine 0311 / 0317 served from June 1995 to August 2001.
    My step son has gotten me in to airsoft. I am just looking for Tips and any advise this old man can get. I have done opfor training in the Corp but it was with Simunitions, so far i really enjoyed building an older Echo1 XCR L .. I am shooting at 370FPS not bad for a entry gun its older but its in really good shape, Anyway I was told to use a .28 bb that i would get better velocity and distance out of my gun @ 9.1v. any input on this ?

OutlawAirsoft, JHat and aotsukisho like this.
  2. JHat

JHat Active Member

Elk Grove
    Welcome, Ric! My nephew is at Parris Island right now, 3rd RTBN KILO CO PLT 3012!

The 0.28g BB will be more accurate at effective range than a lighter weight BB, FPS will be slower though.

Is that 370FPS chrono number with a 00.28g BB?

9.1V battery? Is that a NiHM or LiFe? Did you mean an 11.1V Lipo?

Ric Mirto likes this.

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    If that E1 XCR is shooting .28g at 370fps. It will be self-destructing soon. That is way over spec for a stock mechbox.

Welcome, many here are Current and Former Military. Current and Former LEO, plus some of us have worked in the industry or have played since the 20th Century or some combination of all of the above.

I used to train with LEO's...where they used Sim rounds and I shot back with Airsoft. They found it to be unfair for I had 5 times the range and 15 times the accuracy.

:p

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    wetpee, Squad144 and Ric Mirto like this.
  4. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    Welcome, and thank you for your service.

Ric Mirto likes this.
  5. Ric Mirto

Ric Mirto New Member

Virginia Beach
    OOHRAH for your nephew. I wish him a long prosperous career with the Marine corp. and sorry about the voltage I meant 9.6v NiMH. my gun was chrono'ed with .25bb but was told that this XCR can handle the .28bb's I am new to airsoft, this is why i found here to find out ... whats true or not. I plan on buying a new gun come spring time. but have to get my money right for I want GBB AR system.
    Thanks for your service also. I worked for a US gun manufacture 10 years up up in Fredericksburg VA. As a firearms instructor with their weapon systems .. loved it .
    but good things come to an end.
    So if not to use the .28bb on the stock mech box, what should i use? I have need trying some .25s and .20s .. the .20s have stupid bullet drop out past 60 feet., I am also still learning how to watch my shots and where my BBs are going,
    I miss the MilSim wargames we played when i was with recon as training, and Train like you fight and fight like you train. I am hoping that this shouldn't effect my ptsd. it was recommended for my by my shrink saying it will give me the adrenaline my body craves
    my 23 year old step son has been begging me to go out and play so here i go ..

Thank you sir or Ma'am.. it was a long time ago an I miss that kind of adrenaline... so we shall see. I will give a sitrep for the Sunday after next.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome ...

SEMPER FI Gentlemen.
    Ric M

Attached Files:

JHat and OutlawAirsoft like this.
  6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    BB weight has no bearing on the stress on the AEG (Automatic Electric Gun).

Driving a .28g bb at 370fps is the issue. That is a very beefy spring in that AEG if it can push a bb of that weight, that fast.

Industry guideline for public fields is 400fps with .20g. If your AEG is 370 with .28g, that would be like 450fps with .20g.

As for your 60 foot range., your hop-up unit aka Magnus Effect Inducer is not on or working.

If it was working, your range should be 50 yards! In some models you can hit 90+ yards...

I think this video should help you.

JHat and Ric Mirto like this.
  7. Ric Mirto

Ric Mirto New Member

Virginia Beach
    That Video really helped me understand a little better.

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Adjust your hop and see if you double your range.

9. Ric Mirto

Ric Mirto New Member

Virginia Beach
    well everyone, last evening I went to a private field and played some CQB, and my Gun completely died. I do believe is the gear box. I am back out of the game till i can get the money together to get either some parts or I can buy a new gun.
    that little bit of an adjustment made a huge difference. now I have dead gun. :(