Killflash or Plastic Protector for EoTechs?

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by MADR77, Nov 1, 2015.

1. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    I just bought an Eotech clone and was wondering if you guys prefer using kill flashes or Plastic lens protectors and why. Both are nearly the same price but I want to know which is the stronger version but still easy to see/use. Thanks!

2. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    Killflashes will help cut any glare off the front lense, since the clones don't come with anti-glare coatings on the glass.

3. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    Is it still easy to see through a killflash or is the reticle all chopped up from the mesh design?

4. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Active Member

Seattleish
    Seems about the same as looking through a mesh mask, though it does require you to be more head-on on the sight than using the clear protector. Can get a pretty good sense from youtube videos of them, since you can see as the sight is moved relative to the camera.

http://www.asiaairsoft.com/member/8...ction_Killfrash_Cover_for_Eotech_Series_3.JPG

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...0513_04_eotech_512_aa_non_nightvision_640.jpg

First one's from an airsoft sight, second one is from an ad of someone selling a real eotech.

5. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    Like the others said, killflashes are more for glare and I think mesh is annoying as all hell. If it gets shot from far you most likely will be fine but I would personally inspect it or replace it asap.

I personally use the clear plastic protector because it doesn't get in the way like most killflashes. Also I saw a video a long time ago demonstrating the strength of the plastic; being shot in close range, it help up but had 2 very noticeable bumps but the glass was not damaged at all.

6. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    I use real EOTechs on my airsoft guns (553 and EXPS 3). As you can imagine, I am very interested in protecting them from BBs.

I debated between clear plastic protectors and killflashes. I finally settled on killflashes. The reason for this is that real EOTechs do not have glare, so putting a plastic lens on the front of a real EOTech would reverse the non-glare effect.

Secondly, I didn't trust any commercial EOTech lens protectors. The only ones I could trust would require me to make it from scratch, and I had neither the time nor desire to spend hours carefully sanding a piece of lexan until it fit inside the housing.

Although I was concerned with the honeycomb not allowing enough light into the optic and potentially limiting the field of view, I found that it was not the case. Although light transmission is noticeably darker as compared to a lens protector or no protector, it is not handicapping. In fact, many of the LC OPs I've been to have AOs with extremely low light, but I've never had an issue with the optic being "too dark." My field of view is not limited either in any way. I can look through the optic through any angle and still have an unimpeded view of what I'm looking at.

Only the Black Watch Optic killflashes "chop" up the image. If the mesh is fine enough, you won't be able to discern the honeycomb pattern unless you purposefully look for it.

My killflashes have taken several direct impacts. You can see the dents on the killflash, some of which are extremely visible and have physically warped the mesh. However, it is still very sturdy and more than capable of taking additional hits.

If using a good, custom lens protector, you would need to seal the lens protector to the housing. Unless you nitrogen purge that area (or at least moisture purge it), condensation can build up on the lens if you are in a humid environment. A killflash is inherently open, which means that air can easily escape.

7. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    Very excellent post.

OP, my experience with kill flashes are the same as Airsoftmaniacman.

8. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    Thanks everyone for helping me out! I think I will be going with a killflash.

@airsoftmaniacman: I don't think you need lens protectors for real EoTechs. Someone on my team uses a real steal EoTech as well, and demonstrated its strength by going full auto on the glass with his rifle.. After about a 10 shot spray he simply wiped off the scuff marks and it looked fine again. And I swear I'm not lying because a bunch of people watched it happen lol

9. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore

I've also seen pictures of real EOTechs with their lenses shattered from a BB or something even less damaging.

In theory, they should hold up, but I'm not going to risk the few hundred dollars it would cost to fix one if it does break.

Prevention is always better than a remedy. $15 is small compared to $150.

10. TC4Tay

TC4Tay Member Supporting Member

Richmond
    Do you have a link or brand name to the one you use for your exps3?