King Arms Sig 556 Gearbox type?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Blades, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Blades

Blades New Member

Hello, after watching some videos and looking around, I haven't officially found out what type the Sig 556's gearbox is. I've heard it's a V2 with an extra-long nozzle, which is very obvious in videos, but I need confirmation on that. Thanks.

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor

3. Blades

Blades New Member

Shoot. I read that earlier, but out-of-gun videos make it look like a version 2. Oh well, thanks.

4. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    If I can ask whats the problem? They are fairly similar.

5. Blades

Blades New Member

Well I already have a bunch of money in a built-up V2 with good gears, piston, silent piston head, G&P Satan motor, and soon to be M120 or M130 (right under 400fps), and I don't want to have to start over if I buy this project gun. The optimal situation would include buying the gun, dropping in the v2, and selling the body of my m4. But, oh well. KA is pretty good so I may just through in the motor and see how long it lasts because I'm getting sick of my M4.

6. marine121496

Ann Arbor
    Well the piston, piston head, m130, gears will all work in a v3, at least I've used all those parts from a m4 v2 to a UMP v3 gearbox, yeah only problem would be the motor, not sure of the 556 but the 552 and 551 both use medium type motors which you would have to of course switch out for.

7. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    I find V3 to be superior to V2 anyway. Much easier to work on. V2 makes my blood boil.

8. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    I am fairly certain the Sig 556 uses a Short type motor.

9. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    You, more often than not, make my blood boil xD. I prefer the V2 to the V3. Each has their pros and cons.

10. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    Lawl. Might have to get on browser to like thisXD

But personally, I like the V2 because its more common so there is more upgradability IMO.

11. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The v3 is just as common as the v2. Fail post fails.

12. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
    "IMO" but I say that just because all the M4/M16/ARs that are out there compared to the guns that use the V3.

13. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    The only pro to the V2 I can think of is the trigger doesn't always want to nuke you in the face during assembly.

The V3 has a superior:
    -Spring guide. A standard size screw driver can actually fit in the back of it to help prevent explosion of the GB.
    -Motor cage (where applicable). Instead of unscrewing the base plate, undoing the motor connectors, pulling out the motor, and unscrewing the grip from the shell, I can simply unscrew the motor cage from the shell and it's done.
    -Selector switch mechanism. It's much simpler to go from safe to semi to full on a V3 when it's outside the gun to test than a V2. Also, I've never had a V3 lose semi automatic, whereas I've had 2 V2s completely lose semi automatic.
    -GB shell design. While it is pretty much irrelevant today with new mods, V2s had a bad history of the front cracking off under stress. Also, The V3 has less GB shell screws. Less to keep track of and less of a pain when constantly opening and closing the shell.

That isn't really a matter of opinion. It's a fact that V2 and V3 share many of the same parts.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  14. Blades

Blades New Member

Yeah, that's my problem. Forking over $75 for possibly the nastiest motor ever made can't be transformed into the medium type. The rest isn't that bad at all to switch over.

I have confirmed, the KA 556 uses a medium type motor. >.<

15. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    My v3 spring guides don't have holes in the back. I've had v3s lose semi before. That reason is irrelevant. Meh. The selector switch mechanisms on both of them are similiar. I can switch mine to semi to auto outside the gun just fine.... Lol.

16. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Edited my post for clarity and added points.

Sure it's easy to change firing mode outside the gun,but I personally hate having to hold the plate in place when testing semi on the V2.

17. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Meh, to each their own, I suppose. I never will like the v3.

18. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    Eh both are good lol.

V3's are easier. V2 is easy. Just depends how it takes to get out of the gun lol

19. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    This is true :p. I just don't like the v3 for some reason o_O.

20. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Goodness you guys are so off topic. lol.

I've worked on one, and I recall it being a version 2 gearbox. Medium type motor, had to remove it from the pistol grip. the nozzle is really, really, really long, but it does have an o-ring, so it will seal. Regardless of if it's a v2 or v3, the parts that make them different don't need to be upgraded anyway. Just don't break them on accident.

As for $75 for the best motor ever made, I'm really not sure what you're talking about. There is no perfect motor. You've got two options. Buy a cheap neomagnet motor, take your stock motor apart and the neomagnet motor, and switch the arms between the cans.

Or.

Buy a Lonex medium length motor. Element also makes medium length motors. Both are $50 or less.