KJW M700 Build- Barrel Diameter Advice

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Blades, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Blades

Blades New Member

As the title states, which would be better for the most range and accuracy possible (at longer ranges) with a 550 fps bolt-action gas sniper rifle? 6.01mm or 6.03mm (both steel, 640mm long)? Going to be using Madbull .43s. Please only comment if you have a bunch of experience with long-range sniper builds, I'm trying to get the most helpful information possible because I have seen similar questions asked in the forums but I want a concrete answer from people with experience with this. Thanks

2. WaikoloaAirsoft808

WaikoloaAirsoft808 New Member

I would go 6.03 because a 6.01 would jam more

3. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    That is utter crap. A 6.01 will not jam anymore than the 6.03 would. Especially at velcoties this high.

Actually, from what I have experienced, AEG long range builds should get the 6.03 mil barrel due to the fact that the gearbox makes the whole gun shake, as you pull the trigger and shoot one shot after another and so it can throw off the accuracy. That does not happen in spring and gas sniper rifles.

4. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    A 6.03 will work better. However not because of jams. A 6.03 will allows the Hop of the bb to not be disturbed as it rolls along the top of the barrel. When you use a 6.01 the bb bounces around inside of it and it can cause the hop up to get messed up. This causes a 6.03 to be more accurate than a 6.01 at distances, while a 6.01 is more accurate for close encounters. Also remember quality is much more important than tightness or length.

5. Blades

Blades New Member

Thanks, I didn't take that into account. It will be a steel tightbore so quality is the priority.

6. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Spring: Piston hits cylinder head at high velocity, gun shakes.

Gas: Hammer strikes mag, gun shakes; gas expanded rapidly like a tiny bomb going off, gun shakes; that "pop" you hear when you fire, that's the gas vibrating the air, pretty sure that also vibrate the gun.

If you want to go further....there are recoils in all 3 systems.
    Higher the fps, more recoil you get.
    And keep this in mind, KE = 1/2 MV^2
    330fps, it's roughly 1J
    500fps, it's over 2.3J
    Notice how the fps is not even close to doubled but the energy is more than doubled.
    Think about that and recoil.

6.01 does jam more often than 6.03.
    It's just logic.....

But the high speed pressure wave from high fps guns just clean the barrels better.

Just get the Prometheus 6.03 650mm barrel.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    I think you are right, but consider this:
    The spring and the piston on a spring sniper rifle are directly in the line of the barrel. I know, it is the same in AEGs, but before the spring even moves in the AEG, several things happen (if we overly simplify the processes):
    A trigger is pulled
    The motor spins
    Motor vibrates in the pistol grip
    Three more gears spin
    Piston is pulled/released
    Piston hits the cylinder head

In a spring rifle:
    Trigger is pulled
    Piston is released
    Piston hits the cylinder head

Plus, we are not talking about recoil as such, since the spring is under tension and is incorporated firmly into the body of the gun, therefore has something to lean onto, unlike a bullet in the chamber of a gun.

Are you sure this has no effect on the vibrations of the barrel and the subsequent accuracy of the shot?

8. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    I'm saying, all guns vibrate.

Spring? KJW is gas lol

Action/reaction pair, if you pushed a projectile out, there will always be recoil.

Where did I say that vibration doesn't throw the accuracy off......?
    What do you think barrel spacers are for...?

And I have no idea why are we talking about this when the OP asked about 6.01 or 6.03......

9. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Answers in red. And because I was beaten in this argument and because I am moderator, I have to say this: Check your punctuation!

10. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    "Answers are in red. I have to say this because I was beaten in this argument and because I am a/the moderator:........"

Check your grammar! lol

11. Blades

Blades New Member

Now I have absolutely no idea what to choose. Shifty, what would you personally buy for this build?

12. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    I'd go with what EDI said.

13. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Pretty sure we both said 6.03 lol

14. Blades

Blades New Member

Alright thanks. <20char>

15. pelster491

pelster491 New Member

I had the edgi 6.01 640mm barrel in my kjw and it shot great when combined with a nine all hop up rubber

16. Blades

Blades New Member

Awesome, what kind of range did you get?

17. pelster491

pelster491 New Member

Well since its a gas gun the fps is inconsistent but I was able to hit people at around 200 to 220 pretty easily

18. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    um....no offence....but that's like nothing....

19. pelster491

pelster491 New Member

Yeah that's my point the gun wasn't very good. Needed an hpa rig

20. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Pretty sure you don't need it.
    Consistency and maximum effective range aren't linked directly.

NONE of my gas rifles is hooked up to HPA.
    I still can get kills beyond 300ft easily.