KWA 3.0 Ronin Tactical T10-SBR AEG: Recommended mods?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by modularvideo, Nov 30, 2021.

1. modularvideo

modularvideo Active Member

Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

Hey, all! I just ordered a full-metal KWA Ronin Tactical T10 AEG and am planning a MOSFET-upgrade with the Gate Aster ($73.28). I believe this is one which rewires the trigger-contacts so it's a solid drop-in. Ideally, I would want three firing modes (but I guess I can only have two and a safe): 1.) semi-auto, 2.) three-shot burst, 3.) full-auto. Out-of-the-box, the manufacturer claims 380-400FPS and a 20-ROF, and comes with a V3 gearbox.

Since I'm having a tech do the work, what other upgrades should I consider (given, ROF and FPS as priorities)? M120 spring? Tight-bore barrel (which bore)? I am planning to run 11.1V LiPos exclusively.

And since this is my most expensive, best-built gun, it'll be my primary weapon, so I'd like to fit it with a laser-diode, true holographic-scope, but I think those are around $600 for something like an EOTECH. Any other true holo-scopes out there for less (as opposed to LED-reproductions)?

Planned cosmetic upgrades:
    • Barrel-extension + short 14mm mock-suppressor.

Planned rail-accessories:
    • Green laser.
    • Tactical light.
    • Holographic-sight.
    • MLOK vertical-grip.
    • MLOK bi-pod.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  2. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Before “upgrading” play with it first for at least 2-5 game days if not closer to 10. Then see where you would want to go from there.

modularvideo likes this.

3. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

I mean barrel and hop stuff anyone can do.

I would test the fps before buying a spring. No reason to mess with it if it's ideal.

The holo sight money could go into much better things like gear tho in my opinion.

Edit:also that's a version 2 shell but kwa's 3.0 lineup, which has kinetic feedback if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't go over 20rps with the kinetic feedback unless someone else here says otherwise.

modularvideo likes this.
  4. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Yes, it has kinetic-feedback. I thought since I plan on dropping in a MOSFET, I may as well get some other things done at the same time to minimize trips to the shop. The way I procrastinate, I will likely be shooting it for a while stock as you both suggest.

If the LED faux-holo sights are decent, then that's fine. However, as I understood it, the true holo-sights do not suffer from parallax (as faux-holo LED sights do). Thanks for the replies!

Update: I just got a UPS text—I think it's coming tomorrow! Unfortunately, I'm working late and won't be able to fire it until the next day. Got some 11.1V LiPos, ready to shoot some full-auto bursts. Though, would prefer to just shoot three-shot bursts in rapid succession. Maybe I'll just get the MOSFET installed for now and wait-and-see on the rest.

Just re-reading the specs—it's a 6.5lb. gun! With batteries, magazine, and rail add-ons, this sucker's gonna have some heft to it. Its compact form-factor made me think it would be a lighter gun (which would've been fine, since this is mainly for precision-shooting). But heavy feels good. Pretty excited!

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    6.5# is "not" heavy. But then your Recoil Engine is adding some heft in the back of the AEG (rather it should be in front).

This is Airsoft. Aftermarket parts are NOT upgrade parts. Play with it stock and save your money for now.

Upgrade nothing, not even a Gate Mosfet.

The stock Barrels in KWA are actually high quality semi-tbbs. There is nothing you can buy outside of Japan that would be a better barrel.

So, nip the urge to upgrade and play with your toys a lot before you change any parts.

wetpee and modularvideo like this.
  6. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Well then, that settles it for now. I wasn't planning on modding my sub-$200 guns at all, so I'll be happy to start shooting my KWA right out-of-the-box also. Got some small LiPos on sale I'm gonna run in my CYMA SCAR until I blow it up. Will keep running the 9.6V NiMHs in my A&K M4/M16 and CYMA M4A1.

On your edits: Well that's great to know! I'm totally fine on waiting to upgrade. I have so little time to play, I shouldn't be wearing anything out too soon. I suppose I was more concerned with preventative upgrades. KWA equips the gun with their "switch-life extender" (i.e., flyback-diode); not a replacement for a true-MOSFET, but at least that adds some protection.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  7. Ben3721

I sure know I'd be pretty happy with a new kwa out of the box for quite a bit lol.

As for the optic. Yes a cheap cheap airsoft red dot will have some parallax.

But a decent tube red dot will have so little it won't matter. After awhile your center the red dot when you shoot anyways.

Real holo sights have some flaws by the way. They aren't perfect. From what I heard they loose zero when in very different Temps, might not matter for airsoft tho. But what will matter is when a bb smashes it to bits. That's enough to make a grown man cry.

modularvideo likes this.
  8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Depends on the Holo.

Back in the day I helped develop a shoot proof optic - replica RMR.

.28 at 387 fps right to the glass. Shot the sight right off the desk...not a mark on the glass.

Other items also just may have glass that is thick enoiugh, the M500 are bb proof, scopes are bb proof.

Only ones to really worry about are the itty bitty ones.

9. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Cool. Thanks for the comments on the red dot. Since I'm not inclined to spend that much on a scope, I guess I'll be looking for the best red dot I can find. I just find them the easiest to sight quickly.

Right, I'm trying to avoid the small red-dots and have specifically been looking for ones with a large reticle-glass (but scale is sometimes difficult to assess from photos). Let me know if either of you have any specific recommendations.

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
  11. Ben3721

Yeah I've always stuck to the T1 style red dots. With both eyes open and the right stock it hasn't really bothered me ever.

However I struggle to use a t1 on my ak compared to a larger optic like guges linked.

It's really a personal taste thing.

modularvideo likes this.
  12. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, Guges, but I was thinking of the reflex-style panorama sights like the Holosuns (I see they sell for the exact same price at Evike as at Turners).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  13. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Finally came yesterday and it's gorgeous! I didn't get home until after 10:00PM so haven't fired it up yet. Will start charging some 11.1V LiPos when I get home today. EOTech should be here tomorrow!

Only spent a few moments with it this morning. Balance is nice and although I thought this would be "short" (since it's an SBR), this feels "just right" in my hands when sighted. I naturally seem to sight this low, so I think the EOTech will be fine without an elevated-mount. Shot some quick iPhone pics before work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ben3721

Oh nice and perfect. Now ya just have to break it in and get some scratches. But I would protect the optic front lense at least.

modularvideo likes this.
  15. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks—yeah, pretty happy. I don't play so no one is shooting at me. Do I need to worry about ricochet?

16. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    First-fire:

Wow! I just pulled off an 11.1V LiPo from its charger and woah . . . ROF is fast, and its ERG-recoil is surprisingly firm—the whole gun bolts with every shot. I find it hard to believe its internals can take this kind of shock for 1,000s of rounds.

KWA's extended-follower confidently feeds every BB and with its 120-round capacity, yes, it would've been nice if KWA kept the auto-cutoff feature, even though the product description states, "30/120-round magazine cut-off compatibility." On the upside, my $6.00 auto-loader works great with the KWA mag.

But nothing in the product description says it's okay to use 11.1V LiPos which makes me a bit nervous (i.e., there's no "recommended battery" in the description); however, Evike's "You may also need" does include an 11.1V LiPo.

I don't have anything to measure anything with but it sure feels like this gun has tons of range and FPS—BBs are ricocheting all over the whole yard.

17. Ben3721

I looked up the design of the kinetic feedback, it's actually a pretty forgiving design. I mean I wouldn't push the thing to like 30rps but it seems to made well.

modularvideo likes this.
  18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    There is no need to push beyond 20 really...

.017 seconds between bb shots is not that much difference, other than how fast your mag empties.

modularvideo likes this.
  19. modularvideo

Los Angeles
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, the kinetic-feedback makes it feel like a lot of stress is going on inside so your comments make me feel a bit more at ease. ROF seems super-fast to me at 11.1V so I have no want or need to go any higher than its stock ~20RPS. Only played for a few minutes as it got dark.

Suppressor:

Wasn't sure if I wanted to add a suppressor or not, but got one anyway. I grabbed one of the few short suppressors in stock at Evike plus a black-anodized, aluminum barrel-extension set. Also got a whole set of aluminum MLOK-rail adapters for only $11 from Amazon.

[​IMG]
    Madbull 152.5mm (6") 14mm- mock-suppressor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  20. Ben3721

Yeah if gets dark so early during this time of the year. I just get the tracers out or a high power flashlight to test at night. Tracers cost a good bit tho.