KWA ATP recoil and power problems...

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by Automobilie, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Automobilie

Automobilie Active Member

So I've gotten myself into 4 KWA ATP's that are anywhere from Gen1 to Gen 3 as well as six stand mags and 1 extendo mag.

After cleaning, lubing, and assembling they just don't...work that well. The recoil is inconsistent with the standard mags. I removed the fill valve o-rings on a couple mags so they'll actually fill correctly (Which does about 5g of propane and 8g if I shorten the overfill tube).The extended mag usually seems to work much better than the standards; snappier recoil and more shots.

If I warm the mags up to 90F they all work to create a very snappy recoil (After I stiffened up the hammer springs with an extra bend), but at 65F only the extendo is consistent while the rest will give weak recoil and occaisionally a sharp kick and back to weak recoil.

If I push the mag in at all the slides jam up and cycle worse.

Nothing appears to be broken. The cylinders seal pretty well and I even tried blocking the output port with a BB so all the gas goes into recoil (which ends up being extremely shallow and short compared to the same test on other pistols).

Otherwise everything is stock. Any ideas?

Also, this guy is having the exact issue I'm having:

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Oh gawd...I used to know what caused this issue...back in 2005. Ugh...it will come to me...

Oh...take a picture of the release valve head please.

3. Automobilie

These? Just took this last night:

[​IMG]

3 out of the 4 are curved, looks like I should probably order some replacement ones! Probably should've asked a week ago instead of banging my head on them for so long.

4. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I have those...cheap...want some replacements?

The curved knockers paired with release valves that have a smaller release head lead to the light strike issues that was described.

5. Automobilie

I'll be ordering from KWA some other stuff anyways. Are your's the stock zinc ones or steel?

Would I need to replace the mag valve as well, or just the striker?

6. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I prefer the wider diameter release valves...less knocker skipping. And I am not seeing that part in stock at KWA

7. Automobilie

I have to email them. There's a handful of other parts I need to order. Is there a part number for the wider ones?

Really appreciate you helping me with this!

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Nope...its based on batch production.

I have a lot of ksc/kwa parts at home and I won't charge you crazy shipping.

9. Automobilie

Ok, I appreciate it!

Let me see what they have on hand, just sent out an email so it might be a couple days before they respond.

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Sorry...I dug through and I am out of the knockers...oh wait...I just remembered it may be in another location...let me get back to you.

11. Automobilie

[​IMG]

Probably not healthy. The ATP's work a little better with the extended mag, but the short mags just don't seem to provide enough power.

The extendo-mag has a better seal, but then pushing the short mags in, to seal up better, doesn't seem to help much?

I'm also wondering what options for better piston heads are out there?

[​IMG]

The piston doesn't seem to be a very tight seal and the piston head is almost plastic:

[​IMG]

The cylinder is about 12.7mm in diameter, but aftermarket heads are either also cups (The green ones on Evike) or the diameter isn't given.

Any more advice Guges?

12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Sadly part support for this platform is getting less and less over the years.

I am slowly reorganizing inventory and just blowing out stuff over the last two weekends.

Let's see what I turn up.

13. Automobilie

You wouldn't happen to have had any experience with these piston cups would you?

I'm still noticing the extended mag works much better down til it's completely out of gas, but the standard mags will start weaker and shoot weaker and weaker. :/ Yet, tThere isn't much noticeable difference between the two...

14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Sadly I do...

How many standard mags do you have?

15. Automobilie

6 standards and one extendo. I've been sealing up the cylinders, the holes where the pin goes leak a lot of air, but are easy to seal with a little glue. The cups are a different problem though.

It seems like the standard mags just don't have as much expansion room. I may order some HPA fittings and hook one up to an air compressor and see how they behave at a fixed PSI compared to the extendo mag. It's also about 65F inside here, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It is a bit cool.

Are your siphon tubes inside the mags attached? No rattling noise right?

I have more cups and cylinders...want to spend 10.00 and try a new set?

17. Automobilie

That's alright, might try looking at some kind of lathed part.

Tubes are all attached, I actually tried shortening one just a little to get a little extra capacity, figured I could resolder it if it didn't help.

18. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    And you are using dry propane? Have you tried MAPP/Propene?

19. Automobilie

Dry propane. Been lubricating them manually with grease. I just don't know where the difference between the standards and the extendo is. The standards don't shoot many shots, though the hammer springs are all stiffened.

On a scale, the standards hold about 8g of propane.

20. Automobilie

Trigger bars are definitely problematic. I can't count how much time I've spent bending and adjusting to try and get them to all reset and release the hammer sear correctly. One is being stubborn and will either not catch or release the hammer prematurely so the flapper gets stuck above the hammer and won't lock it without pushing the slide back off.

[​IMG]

I did notice that 2 out of the 7 BBU's have a longer cam bump. One of the guns works a bit better with the longer one, but it really shouldn't make a difference.