KWA Gearboxes

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by xBURRx, Aug 5, 2012.

1. xBURRx

xBURRx New Member

I was recently forced to sell my old gun because of its ridiculuos need for repairs and i have been looking for a new gun. I decided that i needed a KWA but i wanted to know if the KM4 and the SR10 have the exact same gearbox. I plan on installing MOE furniture on the gun i get so the KM4 is a better deal if it has the same gearbox.

2. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Lakeville
    Oh no, you don't want a KWA AEG. Also, if your going to throw a Magpul set on it, just go with a G&P Magpul carbine or the Classic Army Magpul carbine. Both would be MUCH better than any KWA,

3. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta

The KM4A1, KM4 RIS and the SR10 both have the exact same 2GX gearbox. By the way, there has been an ongoing "war" on this forum between people who favor KWA and G&P. They're both good companies. Quite honestly, I don't get what all the KWA hate is all about.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. xBURRx

xBURRx New Member

Thanks, I personally prefer KWAs because of the 2GX.

5. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    Because of the 2GX how? What part of it?

6. xBURRx

xBURRx New Member

The durability, power, and the LiPo readiness right out of the box.

7. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    KWAs are NOT 11.1v LiPo ready out of the box. That's just a marketing technique to get you to buy it. NO STOCK GUN IS LIPO READY!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Hydra572

Hydra572 New Member

Superior
    Thatguy is correct. And they aren't incredibly durable.

9. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Lakeville
    Durability? Sure, but when it breaks how are you going to fix it? It's proprietary. Power? Almost any gun in that price range will woop a KWA butt. Lol "Lipo ready" is a marketing scam. From ANY company

10. xBURRx

xBURRx New Member

Hmmmm could one of you reccomend me a better gun than the KM4 and it has to be $300 or under.

11. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Any G&P, CA proline, G&G proline, etc. KWAs are overpriced for the performance you get out of them.

12. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Really any G&P or VFC that you can find. Both companies make excellent guns, some of which are in your price range.

13. xBURRx

xBURRx New Member

Thanks guys i just found a nice VFC (the M4 E series) thats a lot better than the KWA. What would i have to do to make it LiPo ready?

14. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    Deans, MOSFET, 16 AWG wiring. Am I forgetting something?

15. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    Unbelievable purely unbelievable. Just kidding. You needed to add shim, regrease, and correct AOE.

16. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta

I agree with everyone above that you do not want to run a 11.1 lipo out of a stock gun. You will need a MOSFET to protect your trigger contacts. You will also need to properly shim the gears and lube the gearbox.

However, I have only found two parts in the 2GX gearbox to be truly proprietary - the actual gearbox shell and the nozzle. It is not that hard to work on. I personally have upgraded my SR10 with Guarder 110 spring, an SHS 15 Steel Tooth Blue Piston, an SHS Ported Aluminum Piston Head, SRC Ultra High Torque motor and Infected Armory MOSFET. With an 11.1 Lipo, I am getting 28-30 rps at @ 410 fps (field limit). A friend of mine has upgraded his KM4 RIS with a SHS 13.1 gear set, Guarder 110 spring, SHS High Torque Motor, SHS 15 Steel Tooth Piston and SHS Ported Piston Head. That got him 38 BBs/Sec. Contrary to the rumors, you can readily upgrade a KWA.

As far as repairs are concerned, i have had to replace a worn O-ring and re-attach a motor connection that came loose when I took a fall during a game. Otherwise, it has not missed a beat in over a year.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  17. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    Any ICS Proline would be in that game, no?

18. CQB

CQB New Member

People here also hate on CM. I thought I should have added that.

19. Thatguyoverthere1111

Mandeville
    In his price range, a CM would be pointless unless he wanted to upgrade. He can get something better. I like CMs too, but he can get something better.