KWA M4A1 vs Mod 1

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by gitaryzt1985, Jan 7, 2013.

1. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    I need some help choosing a new M4. My G&P is being returned to Evike since it broke within the return period. I could probably do the repair myself, but I figured I'd get a new one since they are going to let me exchange it.

I've got a KWA mod 2 and it is a great gun. I like it so much, that I thought about getting the mod 1 simply for the increased range over the mod 2, and just pocket $120 from the G&P. If I wanted to upgrade the piston in the Mod 1 for a higher FPS later I could.

I'm not a serious player yet, but I am also considering the full metal M4A1 which is $295. Should I just get the Mod 1, or is the full metal version worth the money?

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    You won't see a noticeable difference in performance between the KWA mod 1 and mod 2. Barrel length plays a minimal role in accuracy and range once you move past very short barreled SMGs like the mp5K. An increase of 4 inches from the mod 2 to the mod 1 won't do anything. If you want to increase the range either on your current gun or a new mod 1, you'll have to do some basic upgrades (stiffer spring, better hop up and barrel, and a bit of basic tuning). Until you do that, the difference between the two is essentially cosmetic (and I suppose if you'd bang a slightly longer barrel into walls and such, there's that too).

Personally, I'd stick with the G&P or otherwise look to move away from KWA. They're not my cup of tea.

3. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Thanks for the info. Even though I liked the G&P, I see the importance of a back up gun. I almost am certain that my main gun will now become my Mod 2 simply because we play mainly CQ. I'm not the type to upgrade, and the fact that my G&P has broken after only 2 days of playing turned me off to the gun.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm whining here at all, but I barely have time to get out and play let alone do mods. Just looking for a gun that I don't have to worry about down the road.

4. Knief

Ann Arbor
    I'm with you. I hate doing internal work and haven't upgraded any of my guns in years. Honestly, all brands have guns that crap out early. The only company that's really immune to that is Tokyo Marui, so if you're looking for as near of a 100% guarantee of a problem free gun, that's as close as you're going to get. G&P guns are typically solid, and as long as Evike handles your warranty problems reasonably, you should be fine. As long as the gun fires good out of the box, it's good odds that it will last a long time, especially as a back up.

As far as guns that have a lower rate of lemons out of the box after TM, G&G's full metal series is very solid. You'll hear people say that they don't use the strongest motors and gears and that, and that's not wrong. What they don't qualify that with is, "and they struggle in upgraded builds." Stock, G&G's parts do exactly what they need to do. The guns are assembled well out of the factory, the parts are manufactured well, and the guns just last. After that, VFC has similar claims to stock reliability, at least in their AR series (their SCAR series suffered a lot of downfalls in the past, couldn't say if they've improved them since). Then you get into the rest of the Taiwanese guns like G&P, King Arms, Classic Army, ICS, KWA, etc. If you don't want to do any work out of the box, avoid the Chinese clones like your life depended on it. You see a lot of praise for JGs around here, but that's as a foundation for upgrades. Imagine that they're the exact opposite of G&G. They use strong parts and blind monkeys put them together and lube them with feces (or more commonly, with almost nothing). They're solid to harvest parts from and completely reassemble, but not so great if you don't want to touch the gearbox.

5. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Thanks for the help Knief!!! The way I see it, after about 3 skirmishes we aren't having the turnout we thought we'd have with airsoft. There has been 3 of us so far as opposed to the 6 we thought were going to get into all this. I'm sort of at the point where I'm going to just say goodbye to the G&P and just get the cheaper Mod 1 as a backup and upgrade it's FPS if things get more serious down the road. No need to spend more money or time on this than I have to.

6. superpirst

superpirst Member

Cupertino
    Imo, I dislike the mod 1 and 2. Budget guns for kwa which are pretty much crap. kwa main guns like the sr-10 and 12s are good guns but not the best for their money. Yes they are at 400 fps and can "handle lipo" only if you get a good one and not break. Some can handle lipo for over 4,000 rounds and some breaks within the first 300 rounds of lipo.
    Not hating on kwa since I have 2 kwa m4s myself( sr-10 and sr-12).

But G&P ARE A LOT BETTER. I think that you just got a really bad ones. Evike, tends to ship "broken guns" and aren't the best place to buy guns. Airsoft atlanta or some other prices are better to buy it.
    G&P external and internal are superb and upgradining a gun will only take $30 if you send it to a shop. (yes it's $30 but if you buy all the parts and give it to them, it is worth the money).

Also, Fps DOES NOT equal range. Do some internal mods and you can increase the fps and range of gun. R-hop, aoe correction, compression, and your gun will be amazing.

7. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Not trying to be confrontational, but I highly doubt the Mod guns are "crap". They have the same internals as the more expensive KWA's, but have a little plastic on them...that really doesn't bother me at all.

I keep going back and forth about keeping the G&P vs sending it back. If I send it back and get the Mod 1, I can upgrade it later on and pocket $120...that's money that I'd really like to have right now especially since my hopes of getting into airsoft are dwindling by the day...we just aren't having the turnout we'd hoped for.

If I keep the G&P, I'll have to just take the time and money to fix it, which really isn't a big deal, but since I work in the service industry in sales, it really irks me bigtime to get a product that breaks within the return period...I've learn to rely on first impressions and my first impressions of the G&P are not good.

Thanks for all the help though guys. I'll let you know how it turns out when Evike contacts me back. My biggest hope is that I can just get a full refund and see how all this plays out, but I have a feeling that I will have to work an exchange.

8. superpirst

superpirst Member

Cupertino
    You ever wonder the price depends between $180 to the $300-400 high end guns from kwa?
    Their internal barrel for the high end guns are actually good. The Kwa mod 1 and 2 uses brass instead. Also, the internals are NOT the same. They use cheaper parts to make it that's why it's much lower than a sr-10 or sr-12.

As I said, you got a bad one because you ordered from Evike. If you get one at a local shop and test it out, you will find out that a G&P are superb. Ask anyone which one is better. Kwa vs G&P and people will say that G&P will win hands down.

Your best bet is to get a refund then use your money and buy it from somewhere else. evike also tends to sell their guns for overprice and add an extra $10-30 ontop of the original price.
    Their shipping service is bad and their guns are bad. Only use evike their gears and sometimes parts since they are a lot better.

9. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta

I hate to differ with you but the only part that is different in the CQR gearbox vs all metal KWA guns is the cylinder. It is a Type 2 vs. the Type 1 in the KM4A1, KM4 RIS and SR10. That is why the FPS for the CQR is closer to 350 instead of 400. The CQR has the same 2g bucking as the full metal guns as well. The CQR costs less because of its polymer lower receiver and use of a polymer Pmag type midcap magazine. The inner barrel is made in Japan by the same manufacturer that makes inner barrels for KWA's full metal line up. They are advertised as being 6.05 mm but are often 6.03 or 6.04 mm in diameter. The KM4A1 barrel is the same as the Mod 1.

I don't have anything particularly against G&P guns and I agree that I have seen to many reports of broken guns coming out of Evike. If you really want a G&P, try Airsoft Atlanta. I was in there the other day and they just gotten in a new shipment of G&P guns.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  10. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Bulldawg, seeing as you are in Atlanta, I'm taking it you are a UGA fan. I won't hold that against you seeing as my family is also from ATL and we are all die hard GT fans haha. Clean old fashioned hate never hurt anyone ;)

Thanks for the post btw. After reading that, I'm really going to push for a full refund for the G&P and I'll get a KWA Mod 1 elsewhere. It sounds like it would simply take a new cylinder and/or M120 spring to get the gun up around 380-400fps which would be fine for my purposes, and cheaper. I could put the extra $100 from the exchange into upgrades for my new sniper I have coming in :)

11. AirsoftimusPrime

AirsoftimusPrime New Member

Satellite Beach
    I think he's screwed (half kidding).

Out of the box, I'd go with G&G proline over VFC. For an AR, I always go G&P and upgrade if I have the budget. I agree with Knief G&G sportlines have less lemons then JGs- they also have better externals. When clones last though, they tend to last for a while.

OP, don't take barrel length into consideration for accuracy until you have perfectly fixed your hopup. Then you can get to voluming properly and actually consider barrel length a reasonable factor.

Edit: Evike is only offering $120 back? What BS. Sell it broken for more, if anything.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Airsoftimus,

I think that $120 is the difference between the G&P and the KWA, not the total of the refund. If it is the total of the refund they're willing to give, send me a PM, I'll take it off your hands for more than that ;).

13. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Yes, it is the difference in the guns.

PM Sent by the way...

14. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    Ah. If it was any retailer, I would have not considered it is all they're willing to give him. I'm just saying :p (I try to hate on Evike at any given opportunity)

Knief, I'm selling a working G&P with the weak parts replaced for $180 shipped. Huehue.

15. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Well, I spoke with evike on the phone and they said I could work an exchange once I filled out the RMA, but I haven't heard from them since Monday afternoon. They are supposed to contact me with instructions, but I'm not shipping them the gun without a 100% guarantee that I won't be charged their 30% restocking fee.

16. AirsoftimusPrime

Satellite Beach
    And you have to pay for shipping, right?

17. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    I don't so much mind the shipping costs IF they can give me a full refund. I can ship with the business and it wouldn't be too bad.

18. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Airsoftimus, PM me with details. No promises.

19. gitaryzt1985

gitaryzt1985 New Member

Charlotte
    Evike got back with me...they sent me a prepaid shipping label and said that in this case, I can return it for full store credit. But, they through in the line "if they deem the gun has a manufacturers defect." I have told evike that the gun broke on me after the 3rd use, but within 30 days and they still haven't given me a definitive "yes you will get a full credit"

I'm a little scared that it isn't worth the hassle of chancing them screwing me out of 30% and shipping. Anyone have any thoughts?