L85 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Star_folder, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    This is just a little build thread about what I've done with my L85. Many people know of it, and it's constantly changing, currently, I like calling it an Adaptive Weapon System.

It started life as an ARMY R85, years and years ago. It was the first weapon that I purchased from research, having decided I wanted a bullpup. It was just a standard L85, it worked well, a rather clunky A1 variant of the gun. I quickly disabled the blowback, and soon decided I wanted to start upping the performance a bit.

A friend of mine was purchasing some stuff from AirsoftAtanta (Fantastic store, btw), and I decided to make the jump and pick up some upgrades for my gun. I noticed that the 509mm (the size of the barrel) and the 550mm Prometheus 6.03mm barrels where the same price on AA, so, duh, as the noob I was, I was going to pick up the longer barrel, more bang for your buck, right? I also picked up some madbull red buckings to go with the barrel, two for the price of 1, after all.

Well, obviously, there was a problem, 2 actually, but I'll get to that in a moment. The barrel was longer than the flash hider. I had to do something about that. I also had a small issue with my parent's recent gift to me, a 5000mah 9.6v battery, which doesn't fit in an L85 hand guard. Of course, I REALLY wanted to use the HUGE battery. That, plus the barrel issue, started me on a very special quest.

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a battery bag tapped to the side of the outer barrel. This pic was really a joke more than anything, I never ran the gun like this, but it was a start.

[​IMG]

I eventually ended up with this, a camo duct tape monster of a gun. I had picked up a nice, large red dot, figured out how to mount the M4 handle on the top of the gun, and used pvc pipe as a barrel extension. I think I did a pretty dang good job at crafting the whole thing. The Huge battery fit, and it performed very well with the barrel and hop up. I believe I had also upgraded the spring, so it was shooting just above 400fps with .2s at this point. Lovely. This is when I started calling it a DMR.

But let's be honest, this gun is ridiculous looking. With my friends, it was still above par, but that didn't mean much when they started calling it "the turd." I couldn't have that.

I took some time, and started working to make the gun perform better. I picked up a G&P M160 motor and an Extreme-fire Panther Mosfet. I was still using my "little" battery, and it was working like a champ. The gun had a dominating rate of fire, and shot further, and more accurately than any of my friends. I was pretty excited... Except they kept calling it the turd....

It was time for an external overhaul.

I stopped by Lowes' picked up some Bondo, dismembered some M16A1s and an M4 S-system and produced this:

[​IMG]

A strange concoction, but an attempt to make a more realistic looking gun. The pistol grip was crafted with bondo, and I used a considerable amount of it to try and craft a hand guard for the battery, which used the s-system hand guard as a cover. It had larger pvc pipe, and even some foam on the inside, for sound stuff, not that it did anything.

That wasn't enough. It was the end of my first summer working at this point, so I had a bit of money laying around. I went all out. I found a G&G L85 that was broken for really cheap, Picked it up and used the receiver for my L85, as it was CONSIDERABLY well made, much better than the ARMY receiver. Of course, all my upgrades were in the ARMY gearbox, so that's what I used in the G&G body. I did some research, I wanted rails on my L85. I couldn't find anything, so I did what any logical person would do, took a $120 gamble.

[​IMG]

Sexiest gamble I ever made. Along with the rail system, I picked up a new optic, bipod, AFG, new paint, a heavier spring, G&G Special Nylon Co-Alloy L85 Piston, SHS gears, and some new wiring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was pleased, it was a true and true DMR at this point. Chronoing at 483fps with .25s, a VERY consistent 483 if I remember correctly. It had great range with that madbull red and prometheus tightbore, and it finally, Finally, looked like a real gun. No longer was it called "the turd."

However, my joy soon faded. While I had the best gun on our own fields, We were introduced into the state wide airsoft organization. I arrived at my first game, and loved my L85, but realized I could get more out of it. The limit had just been set at 560fps with .25s, and of course, I saw that limit as a goal.

Here's where the real special modding started. I picked up some sorbo, Modify Steel bushings, learned to shim, AoE, compression, tappet sanding, gearbox polishing, cleaning, lubing, padding, tightening, securing, sealing, the list goes on. After that first game, I learned the difference between a lego build, and a GOOD rifle.

This was the time when the g-hop had been announced, and I worked on the flat hop, I was super pumped when I started making my first 300ft shots. I had picked up some M150, and was chronoing about 510fps with .20s iirc.

I had it like this for a while, didn't change much, started working on other guns, started offering services as a tech.

I picked up a JG Blue, wanted to see how it worked with the gun, slower rate of fire, but had considerably more amount of torque than the G&P M160, perfect for my needs. I picked up an EF Cheetah Mosfet with the TriggerMaster software, an SHS 19 tooth piston, epoxing the rack in place. Guarder Piston head, G&G Air nozzle for the L85, new o-rings for it and the piston head, Full cylinder, GURU Upgrade Cylinder Head, new wiring, deans. It was a long, slow upgrade process, all internal. I found that through the years, the damage to the G&G SNC piston was a little too much, and it needed to be replaced. As it turns out, 500fps and 26 rps is a recipe for PE on a 19 tooth set up. I eventually got a new spring, a Modify S170, which, a little inconveniently, put me up to 570fps with .25s. Thankfully, because of very good standings with the state's airsofters, I was given special permission to use my L85. Airsoft is an honor game after all.

2. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Then my dad, who has been playing for almost as long as I have, informed me that he was going to a Lion Claws event, and that he wanted me to come with him, that he'd help pay. HECK YEAH I'm going to a Lion Claws Event. But then, there's this problem, where you can't use a gun shooting hotter than 366fps with .25s. In it's current state, my L85 almost doubled that output. So it got me thinking, I needed an assault version of my L85, cause, at this point, there wasn't another gun I would even consider using. I've used my L85 for 6 years or so, I'm not going to change because of some fps limits. I picked up that old ARMY body, G&G gearbox, and got down to to work. I cut the barrel down on the L85, used a 363mm Prommy barrel I had laying around, and fashioned a field version of my L85

[​IMG]

I continued working, developed a second gearbox, and a total of 3 upper gearboxes for the gun. 1 lower receiver, and 2 upper receivers. I picked up a second rail system, took the cut barrel to a machine shop, had them clean it up and put threads on it. Got a special outer barrel for the DMR upper, used my old panther mosfet and lots of tuning to produce this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    An example of the spare lower gearbox and 2 extra uppers.

[​IMG]
    DMR Lower with the DMR Upper installed.

[​IMG]
    Front view of the DMR upper. Yes, that's a real Magpul VFG and a real Magpul AFG, and yes, I cut it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This last picture shows the Dead Center Top Down mod that I developed. I originally called it a Top Down mod, but, I didn't know that it already existed. It's purpose is to apply a flat, level pressure to extended hop contact patches. Currently it does this to a custom hop I have in the DMR upper.

I have 2 lower gearboxes, 3 upper gearboxes.
    The first lower gearbox is my DMR gearbox, JG Blue, SHS gears, Steel bushings, Cheetah Mosfet.
    The Second lower gearbox is my field gearbox, mostly stock parts, and a panther mosfet.
    The first upper gearbox is my DMR Upper, I have a field upper, and a CQB upper. The field and and CQB upper both have blow back enabled.

Both the Field and CQB upper use full length cylinders to produce as loud a noise as possible through the 363mm barrel. The CQB length isn't remarkable, because it uses a standard amount of air. However, the field upper is possibly the loudest gun I have ever heard. Metal piston head, no sorbo, complete seal, elongated cylinder on a 363mm barrel. It's loud, very loud. Soon, I'll be getting an amplifier for the gun, to make sure my target can hear me, mostly for the intimidation factor. My L85 has quite the reputation around these parts.

The first gearbox uses a full 19 tooth stroke and precocking, fantastic combinations for a DMR. The second gearbox uses a standard 15 tooth sector and no precocking. Now, don't let me lose you here. The 3 uppers I have, all three have full metal rack pistons. The DMR upper shoots 570fps with .25s on the DMR gearbox. The Field upper shoots 385fps with .25s on the DMR lower, and 320fps with .25s on the regular lower gearbox. The CQB upper doesn't fit on the DMR lower because it would result in PE, however, it gives right under 300fps on the regular lower.

This is important because it gives me a "gun" at each FPS limit, 0-300, 301-360, 361-400, 401-560, 0ft MED, 20ft MED, 50ft MED, and 100ft semi auto MED respectively. Thus, it is an adaptive weapon system. I'm able to use the shorter upper with the DMR upper gearbox if I need a short gun, or I can use the longer upper receiver with the Loud field upper gearbox to make it a bit quieter.

For some other stats, the DMR configuration is able to nail 400ft targets, moments before starting this post, I hit a 300ft target 5/5 times. I use washed .4s if you're curious. The Field configuration is loud, about 25rps and 400fps with .25s, the stats are about the same with the regular lower gearbox. The CQB configuration gets 300fps with .25s, and again, about 25rps. I happen to think that rps is a perfect combination of speed and ammo usage, without wasting bbs.

If I had to purchase everything new, not including shipping, the whole package would cost over 2 grand.

So, any questions?

3. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    No questions (you gave too much information for one), awesome weapon, I wish my dad was into airsoft though, he hates it and is the reason I can't mod up any of my guns without it being christmas.

4. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Lol, it's a long story, I like to share it every once in a while. Though, I do agree that it was too long. As it turns out a post's length is limited to 10,000 characters, when I finished, I was at 12,017, thus the two posts, instead of just one OP.

And my dad has been playing paintball for years before I came around. He stopped soon after I was born. Once I started to get into airsoft, he jumped in. I've been pretty blessed by that.

5. blue2014

blue2014 New Member

I didn't think it was to long. The pictures broke it up a lot. I was also amazed by the detail.

6. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    It wasn't too long, you had a ton of info to go through. Anyways my dad thinks that they aren't to be used for fun since he's a hardened man who was deployed twice. No fooling with this guy. :(

7. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Still an awesome read through for a second time. Now you just have to make a lefty friendly l85. :p

8. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    another great thread on a wonderful gun. This post seems more detailed than the other stories about it I have seen.

9. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    Is it just me or that you didn't tell the MS210 part? :p

10. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    I saw that on ASF I think... Crazy. Do they mass produce those even?

11. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    No questions... But that may be the best looking l85 I've seen to date. Actually cancel that, the best looking bullpup I've seen to date.

12. EDI1st

EDI1st New Member

Fountain Valley
    I don't think so, and they are super expensive.

13. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    They are I own 2 of them.

14. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    lol, I never had an MS210. Though I've had a few springs that chrono at 690 with .2s, they weren't mS210s. I had one ordered, but the order had a problem, so I never got the spring. I may pick another one up soon, but I'd replace the gears with a standard SR-25 sector to disable the precocking. Not sure I trust that on the kind of power that an MS210 *should* be putting out of the system.

15. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Beautiful everything man. I'm actually grabbing a ICS L85 right now. Any specific sites you recommend for external/internal parts?

16. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Well, the ICS has standard M4 internals, and is very unlike the G&G in every way except for the look of the gun. I would get a new air nozzle to start of with, the stock one has no o-ring. Other than that, shim it, AoE, and it'll be a solidly performing gun for a good while.

17. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Thanks man. That's such a great looking gun. For externals (rails, body, etc) what specs do you look for to fit? Do they make many L85 specific externals.

18. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Some people do. A place called GURU Upgrade, in the Czech Republic, is the only place that makes cylinder heads. SHS makes a gear set, but you don't HAVE to use them. The bevel is a bevel, the spur is a v2/3, and the sector gear is an L85 type, but you can use an SR-25 sector if you want to get rid of the precocking, and a normal spur (and spacers in front of the piston) if you want to use standard pistons and such. The piston is a 19 tooth piston, and the tappet plate is special as well, but you can get those from G&G. Most of the parts do have aftermarket replacements, so it's not the worst gun to upgrade.

19. bludyknux

bludyknux New Member

Awesome. One last question. Rails. You took a gamble?

20. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I couldn't find anything saying that you could bolt a CASV to the gun, but it looked like it would work, so I took the plunge. It only required minor modification to work with the gun. Just know that the ICS is a little different, I don't know if you could bolt on a rail system in the same way.