l85 vs l86 as a dmr base

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by deadeye, Oct 21, 2012.

1. deadeye

deadeye New Member

in between chicago and milwakee
    I am planning on making a dmr. i dont want it to be a m4/m16 because those are every where. i also would like to know who makes the best l85/l86 rifles

i have a little under 350$ for the dmr base, I want it to be an aeg, no gas guns.
    my feild limit is 400 for aeg, i also need stock preformance. i might upgrade the gun little by little over time. please experinced players only.

2. MrMango17

MrMango17 New Member

Kent
    I would say that ICS currently makes the best AEG L85/L86s. My L85 is fantastic, never had any problems. It performs very well straight out of the box.

3. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    I thought the G&G L85 was a bit nicer than the ICS?? Either way, I'd stick with an L85, easier to get and smaller.

4. MrMango17

MrMango17 New Member

Kent
    This: (20 characters)

5. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    Did G&G really have all of those grammatical mistakes?? Also, I'm not aware of this problem with the G&G L85.

6. shlunka

shlunka New Member

Raphine
    If he plans to upgrade, all he has to do if you are correct on the piston, is simply short stroke the piston. Also, I think G&G L85s use M4 hop-up chambers, and have aftermarket parts for almost all their internals.

7. MrMango17

MrMango17 New Member

Kent
    Yep, I've never personally used the G&G though so I wouldn't know.

Each has its pros and cons I suppose. I'm just very attached to my ICS L85 :D

8. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    The real good one to get is the Army L85, and then upgrade. But seeing as finding one of those is impossible, and G&G hasn't made a batch of L85s in a while, the ICS is the only choice.

Look for Star_Folder for this one. He is the go to guy for L85s.

9. deadeye

deadeye New Member

thanks for all the info guys, i think i will go with the ics l85

10. Phillies2406

Phillies2406 New Member

Actually some vendor, Vulcan tactical? Had one at my field, brand spanking new, I wanted to buy it so bad. One guy there had the ics l85. I'd say it was very nice. I haven't seen or heard the g&g model though.

11. deadeye

deadeye New Member

i appreciate the info on the l85, but since it is going to be a dmr base then shouldnt it be the l86 because of the longer barrel.

from what i understand the longer barrel will make the gun have more range and accuracy

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie New Member

I would say the L86 by would work as a dmr base. The ARMY is cheap and reliable, but not the best quality.The G&G is inbetween, decent price,good internals, decent externals. Probably the ICS and/or ARES. :) Just my two cents.

13. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    Step aside people, it's my turn.

You want a DMR, G&G L85, don't go for anything else. It's the easiest to upgrade out of the L85s, and is the best externally of the L85s. The ICS has a wiggly stock pad, and a funky trigger mech, and a funky hop up chamber, meaning it's a bad base for anything high powered or long range. Not saying it can't be done, it'd just be hard to. The G&G uses a longer piston, and is precocking.

For those that want something to relate to, this basically means that the G&G/ARMY L85 is a full auto PSG-1. The longer cylinder is amazing for DMRs because of how it works with heavier ammo, and the precocking is awesome for trigger response, meaning you don't have to have a super crazy distructo battery to have GBB like trigger response.

The ICS has a nifty little spring guide allowing you to adjust the fps, but, the G&G has a split gearbox. The G&G field strips with 1 pin, the upper gearbox comes off with another pin, the lower gearbox comes off with 2 more. 2 screws for the motor, 2 screws for the trigger assembly, and all that's left is the gear cage, 2 more screws and that's apart. The upper gearbox is held together by 4 screws and a clamp.

Also, longer barrel doesn't mean greater range/accuracy, you'll just want to keep with the stock 509mm barrel.

14. TheLost

TheLost Conductor of the Poop Train Supporting Member

Westerville
    I've been pondering this same question. for quite awhile too. So would the ICS really be a bad base? or just a little bit more difficult one? Because I have issues with G&G's all the time, and I know the ics's around me have just been super reliable.

15. bal1

bal1 New Member

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

16. bal1

bal1 New Member

Ics is great I'm slowly building two dmrs one g and g one ics, my ics takes any and all upgrades I put in it,my g and g has some upgrades but never wants to fire, even when I pull the motor out and the motor turns, long story short: ics FTW.

17. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    So you're making two L85 DMRs? Else, how could you compare the two? It's not like every ICS gun is a carbon copy of every other ICS gun, or the same for G&G. No two guns are the same.

You're missing the whole point of why I suggested a G&G L85 over an ICS. The G&G has an elongated cylinder, thus, more air. This is a great resource when pushing heavy bbs through the barrel, and getting more out of your spring. The G&G also has mechanical precocking, another great resource for a DMR, having instant shots regardless of the rest of the gun. Lastly is the hop up. The G&G uses a standard M4 hop up chamber. They aren't perfect, but they are upgradeable, and can host the most advanced hop up systems of our time. The ICS hop up cannot without serious modification of the hop up chamber and body of the gun. Besides, the stock ICS L85 hop up chamber is poorly designed, and poorly functioning because of it's design.

18. bal1

bal1 New Member

I didn't say they were l85. Besides that usually everyone has the ics l85 and they love it and say it's fairly easily upgraded,when I mention the g and g they either laugh or tell me every reason why it sucks.
    (That's the usual time I zone out)

19. DSCAllDay

DSCAllDay New Member

Los Gatos
    The ICS L85 is not the better choice here due to the reasons star outlined above. I have seen and used the ICS and wasnt impressed

20. Columbus

Columbus New Member

Loveland
    I own the ICS L86. It too has the 19 toothed piston, and I personally enjoy the trigger mech and hop up. The trigger has a nice click when it fires, and can be left alone when installing a mosfet. The hop up works great and has the handy little click with each adjustment. With any modification it was shooting straight, and over 150 feet accurately for me. I have found no wobble... I am very impressed with it. With the removal of two pins the receivers are apart and the gear box is out. With the removal of a pin in the gearbox the spring guide can be removed and set to one of three positions for varied fps. Or you can just slap a new spring in if desired at that point. It comes with a 610mm barrel that I again had good consistency, however I have an EDGI to install to help it out a bit.

I have never seen nor held another L86 of any kind so I can not attest to them. I am however very happy with my ICS for what it is worth.