leaky mags

Discussion in 'Gas Powered Guns' started by QS7Clarke, Aug 21, 2012.

1. QS7Clarke

QS7Clarke New Member

anyone know the best way to prevent getting leaky mags?

2. CQB

CQB New Member

Lubricate you mags. Don't worry about it until it happens. I use WE mags for 8 months and have had no leaks.

3. 3Len

3Len New Member

Paris
    @OP
    The best way to prevent mags from leaking is to avoid using too powerful a gas.
    Also never store the mags with unlubrified propane or green gas still inside.
    The grade of rubber used to make the seals varies from brand to brand ,so do the above to stay on the safe side.

4. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    As a matter of fact, keeping gas in your magazine is a good thing. Sure, it has to be Green gas or similar, but do it.

5. 3Len

3Len New Member

Paris
    It's GOOD to keep a bit of lubrified WEAK gas in your mags when in storage.
    It's BAD to store the mags with unlubrified green gas or propane still inside, on the other hand.
    Please don't confuse the two.

6. tiny447

tiny447 New Member

I have a leaky mag how would u fix it

7. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
  8. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Given that Green gas is propane with silicone oil, your statement is wrong.
    It is perfectly safe to keep green gas or SIMILAR gas inside the magazine (that is gas with silicone oil). I and many others have been doing this for years and no problem ever arose.

Read the link in this thread.

Also, fix your spelling. We do not want people to spell like brainless monkeys.

9. tiny447

tiny447 New Member

I'm sorry I've got a serious spelling issus and have had for many years so thanks for pointing out the obvious

10. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Too bad, man. The problem is that "u" and "you" have nothing to do with spelling issues or dyslexia. It is merely laziness and text talk.

11. tiny447

tiny447 New Member

Oh ok I see what you mean now I'm sorry just force of habit from my phone sorry

12. evan2634

evan2634 New Member

13. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    Personally, I do not know, but common sense dictates that the parts still have to be lubed. I am pretty sure it won't hurt the gun.

14. 3Len

3Len New Member

Paris
    @Shiftyshooter
    Green gas in the US maybe.
    In Europe,the brand Ultrair is Green without lube for example.
    The principle being that powerful gas will eventually causes the seals to blow is universal.That it has not happened to you just makes you a lucky man.
    I stand by my statement,especially in response to the OP's newbie question.

15. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    I live in Czech Republic and the designation Green Gas is used for propane with silicone oil in it (universaly).

I was not talking about myself only. Czech Republic has one of the largest airsoft populations in the whole Europe, and most people do that both here (Czech Republic) and all over the world.

Do, stand by your statement, but you are wrong.

16. 3Len

3Len New Member

Paris
    @shiftyshooter
    It's strange that contributions on forums such as this will often end up being about having the last word and being "right" or "wrong".
    My statement applies to all gasguns old and new,regardless of brands.My response is directed to the OP's question.
    Your practice of leaving green gas in the mags may only apply to more recent models .Since the OP has not mentioned what brand his toys are,it's just SAFER to do like I said.
    I've lost two Tanaka,one Hudson,and one WA in my early days of collecting,for using Ultrair indoors.
    But please,of course,carry on doing what you do,I'm not saying you're wrong.I'm just trying to be useful to the OP's query.Can you say the same about your posts?

17. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I think I'll step in here. 3len, you are flat out wrong. I'm the GBB tech in my area, and been doing it for years. Every magazine Ive ever owned has been stored with propane in it, both with and without silicon oil, with no problems whatsoever.

Now, as for the right/wrong, last word thing. Right versus wrong DOES matter. We are here to help, so of someone is making a wrong statement we will interject. Yes, you were trying to help but is giving wrong information really helping?

18. Shiftyshooter

Prague
    3Len, sorry, I misunderstood your first post. Sure you have to keep gas in your magazine and yes, it varies from brand to brand. If the OP is using a Japanase gun (Excl. TM and such) like a Tanaka and Marushin Green Gas cannot be used.

Non-the-less, keeping gas in your magazine is essential to prevent leaks.

19. 3Len

3Len New Member

Paris
    Also the lenght of time you keep the gun in storage also is a factor.
    As a collector who owns 300+ Gbbs,months may elapse between the times I use a specific gun.Then yes,propane or green has a very averse effect on my seals.
    As skirmishers,I suppose you only store your guns for a few days before fielding them again.The effect might not be so noticeable.
    @Lil_Shady
    I stand by my statement.
    Can you be held accountable if the OP keeps his WA mag from 1999 filled with propane ,the way you instruct,and find all his seals blown after a month of storage?
    Please be reminded that not ALL airsofters are skirmishers,equipped with the latest toys from Taiwan,and even if my statement contradicts your personal experience,as long as it is the safest route to take,my contribution is not False nor unhelpful.