LED Chemlights

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by mnmetalhead1, Jan 8, 2013.

1. mnmetalhead1

mnmetalhead1 GBB FTW Supporting Member

Hibbing
    Does anyone know a company that makes them? If not post your thoughts on if you'd buy them and prices you'd pay. I'm making some prototypes tonight for testing and will upload pictures later.

Also post recommended options for plugs for charging and switch styles like momentary push button or the slider style.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    I used to buy mine from Walmart until I found them at the Dollar Tree.

They run on 3 LR44 batteries (also available at the Dollar Tree).

Single push button to go through 5 modes, IIRC: Glow, Flashlight, Glow and Flashlight, Blinking Glow, and Off.
    I'll double check when I get home...

3. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    Thanks, I'm thinking that if I get som interest that i may start selling these since they are basically a gutted chem light so they are the same size and feel as before. Now you can just keep reusing it and charge it when it gets low.

4. THE_ELIMANATOR

THE_ELIMANATOR New Member

Hebron
    On brand is Life Gear they make alot of diffrent colors and I believe they have a lifetime waranty.

5. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    These are the Walmart ones I was talking about (in the camping section of sporting goods):

[​IMG]

Doubt you can match their price point, but would be interested in seeing a finished product. Especially in Red. That's what we use for dead rags for night games.

6. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    sylvania makes them too for $3.95. They are bbs shatter resistant. Ive shot mine 3 times from opint blank with my KWA LM4 with .30 and only on the 3rd shot did it cause a hairline crack but its still functional.

7. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    I got a proof of concept done, defiantly need to change the switch and figure a way to keep the wiring more compact. This one does work and is plenty bright and even tho I estimate about 1 hour battery life it's rechargeable. Pictures in a couple mins.

8. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    I tried to keep it looking like a chemlight and not a mini light saber

Attached Files:

9. Ze_Glocksman

Ze_Glocksman New Member

Kerrville
    How much do you think you would be asking once you get the wiring more compact and the switch changed?

10. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    Since it's such a low current, try the Deans Micro connectors.

What voltage/battery are you running in it?

11. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    The battery is inside the deans is just for charging comparability. Price wise it would be close to $20 cause the battery alone was $10

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Well-Known Member

Meadville
    Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram, I would love to make one, but I don't know wich battery to use, pm me the info please

13. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    The battery I found at a local hobby so you'll have to find it online. As for the wiring digram ill post one up when I get home along with battery info.

And as for what battery it's a single cell lipo 160mah 25c and if I made more I could always use other connectors and different switches.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. FortSandy

FortSandy New Member

15. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    Kinda but again, it's different. I was trying to make a chem light that would look the same and feel the same just that it was run on LEDs and a rechargeable battery. Everything that is mass produced either looks like a mini light saber or an actual LED device. Maybe it's just a personal thing that I prefer to use chem lights for the the realism if you wanna call it that but I don't wanna be buying boxes of them. I figured this was a but more economical without straying from the look of real chem lights.

16. Sparky_D

Pierce County
    The rechargable battery really isn't a selling point for me.

I've been using the same LED light stick (3 LR44 cells) for 2 years on the original batteries. I just keep a few spare cells on hand in case I need them.
    Looks like a great idea for you, but personally, I'm used to the LED one now. For me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Good luck on your development, though. I'll keep an eye on the thread and offer input as I can as needed.

17. mnmetalhead1

Hibbing
    That's understandable, I was thinking about trying to get a battery holder for button batteries but I don't wanna have to buy those batteries since I've noticed their kinda pricy. So I just found this lipo. I just thought I'd ask around and get people's opinions because like I said before, none really look and are the same size as a chem light.