Lefse's various builds and setups.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Lefse, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welp, I have now decided to join the trend of build and setup threads. I have seen many people starting threads asking how to achieve certain performance goals, and maybe this can serve as a source of information and inspiration for people with less experience with tech work. I'll post both finished and unfinished projects, some with short video clips with test runs.

I'll start off with my trusty little CYMA MP5K, it's been built specifically for CQB use, hence the relatively low power. The reason for the relatively high spring strength is to make semi auto crisper, and it also makes it hilariously loud.:D:

CYMA MP5K
    Gearbox:
    Stock CYMA 7mm GB shell with Element smooth steel bushings.
    Dream Army (SHS) 15T piston, swissed, glued teeth rack and 2nd and 3rd tooth removed for AOE correction.
    Lonex POM piston head.
    Lonex steel bearing spring guide.
    ASG Ultimate M130 spring, power reduced to .95J with inversed power creep, didn't feel like short stroking another gear.
    SHS 1st gen 13:1 ratio gears, shimmed by the bevel, of course.
    Lonex air nozzle and cylinder head.
    Lonex tappet plate, front sanded for improved consistency.
    Stock trigger and cut-off, trigger return spring tightened for more effective cut-off.
    Dream Army (SHS) Ultra Torque motor.

Barrel and hop-up:
    Polished TM 140mm barrel, from my old TM MP5K, properly stabilized.
    Stock hop-up chamber.
    Guarder clear bucking.

Electrical:
    18AWG silicone wire with HK XT Deans clone connector. It only does 33rps, low for a setup like this, this is because of the relatively high resistance in the wiring. (will probably upgrade with 16AWG or 14AWG teflon wire)
    DIY IRLB3034 based mosfet unit, with 45 amp PTC fuse. (it's 45 amps because I initially planned a much more elaborate setup)
    Turnigy 11.1V 40-80C 1400mAh li-po, used a Firefox 11.1V 20-25C 1200mAh li-po before, but it was too underpowered for this setup.

Accessories and magazines:
    G&P MP5 type red dot sight.
    CYMA 100rd and 65rd magazines.
    Pantac one point bungee sling.
    PDW flash hider from my old TM MP5K

Here's the internal setup of my AK that I will most likely stick to. I'm ditching that high speed motor, it pulls too many amps for it to be practical, I'd have to heavily upgrade the wiring and battery, and install an even higher rated fuse to run it properly. I may do a test run with the high torque motor with a 14.8V li-po, just to see how the GB fares, I like to experiment a bit hehe.

G&G AK-104
    Gearbox
    ASG Ultimate M130 spring
    VFC 8mm GB shell with G&P bearings
    Deep Fire bearing spring guide
    DA 15T piston,heavily swissed, teeth rack glued, 2nd and 3rd tooth removed for AOE correction.
    Lonex POM piston head
    Lonex cylinder head
    DA double o-ring air nozzle
    SHS 3rd gen 13:1 ratio gears, with 2 teeth short stroke.
    DA Ultra Torque motor
    Lonex cut-off lever, trigger switch and cut-off has been tuned for the cut-off to react faster.

Electrical
    It has an IRLB3034 based DIY mosfet unit, with 36A PTC fuse, and a mix of 16 and 18 AWG wiring, because of the cramped motor grip. I currently run it with my Turnigy Nanotech 11.1V 40-80C 1400mAh li-po's, but I'm thinking of maybe getting something a bit beefier, since the stock has room for it.

Barrel and hop-up
    Stock G&G 360mm barrel, polished and stabilized
    CYMA AK hop-up chamber with Guarder clear bucking

It does approx. 38rps at 1.3 joules with this setup, the power is a bit low because it doesn't have a tightbore barrel, and the cylinder volume could probably be more optimal. The power is very consistent though, and 1.3 joules is perfect for my needs really. It also has more than enough range for the field I play at, with decent accuracy, so I'm overall very pleased with this setup.

Here's my take on the SAW class of AEG's, it's not quite a true SAW though, too inefficient and too high stress on the internals. I did it more for the technical challenge of it, it's practical use is limited due to field regulations. It was still a fun build though, and made one of the AK purists at my local field get all giggly when he test fired it hehe.:D It does 33rps at 2.1 joules.:

LCT RPK
    Gearbox
    LCT 6mm GB shell, with stock steel bushings.
    LCT compression parts (the stock compression parts are actually very high quality).
    Lonex M150 spring.
    DA 15T piston, 2nd and 3rd tooth removed for AOE correction, teeth rack glued with HK Maxicure CA.
    SHS 3rd gen 13:1 ratio gears, shimmed by the bevel, standard procedure.
    Element bearing spring guide.
    SHS Ultra Torque motor.

Electrical
    HK 16AWG silicone wiring.
    HK "Deans" contacts.
    IRLB3034 based DIY mosfet unit.
    3x15A PTC fuse.
    Turnigy Nanotech 11.1V 40-80C 1400mAh li-po battery.

Barrel and hop-up
    LCT 605mm barrel.
    Guarder clear hop-up bucking.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Pharaoh, link0 and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  2. joe11894

joe11894 Member

Dropping a sub (20 subs)

3. _clevername_

_clevername_ New Member

Philadelphia
    Subbed

(sub)

4. lofax

lofax Member

Dark side of the MOON
    .95j and v3 I'm IN=similar community it is!I might learn a thing or two since I'm starting to venture in v3 GB's.

5. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Yes! I thought this day would never come. Lol

You should post videos of your builds :D

BOA_SP3CT3R likes this.
  6. Lefse

I didn't expect this amount of interest and positive feedback, thank you. :) I will most likely update this thread later tonight, including my latest AK setup. I'm experimenting a bit with a high speed SSG setup with a DA HS motor, it needs a serious electrical upgrade to get the full potential of the motor though. I have a couple test videos up at my youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxOMG6tRhFAavmxGl48cIBQ

7. James2jones

James2jones New Member

Dropping a sub, its about time.

8. ZaCkOX

ZaCkOX New Member

Bakersfield
    That mp5k packs a punch for it's size. :D

9. Lefse

Thanks, it's a hilarious little gun. :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  10. TheAirsoftTech

TheAirsoftTech New Member

Dang, that little thing is awesome. Lol

11. Lefse

Bought some new wiring today, needed something with thinner insulation than the silicone wiring I've used so far. Bought 30 feet of 2.5mm2 (approximately 13AWG) and 30 feet of 1.5mm2 (approximately 15AWG). The 1.5mm2 wire is the same thickness as the 18AWG currently in my MP5K, but obviously has a much lower resistance, so that should give a noticeable performance boost.

[​IMG]

12. sonsofthepatriots1

sonsofthepatriots1 Active Member

Where do you order your wire from? I pick mine up from my local depot store and its meant for automotive use really.

13. Lefse

I bought it from a local electrician firm actually. I don't know the price, they were just gonna bill me, but it's probably fairly cheap.

14. Lefse

Got around to film a short chrono test of my RPK today, it does approx. 33rps at approx 2.1 joules:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSrmIbBMOqs

Here's what I'm, running in this "little" fella:

Stock LCT 6mm GB shell.
    Stock LCT compression parts.
    Stock LCT barrel.
    Guarder clear hop-up bucking.
    DA 15T piston with glued teeth rack, 2nd and 3rd tooth removed for AOE correction.
    SHS 3rd gen 13:1 ratio gears, properly shimmed.
    SHS Ultra Torque motor.
    Lonex M150 spring.
    Element bearing spring guide.
    HK 16AWG silicone wiring.
    HK "Deans" contact.
    DIY 3034 based mosfet unit.
    Turnigy Nanotech 11.1V 40-80C 1400mAh li-po battery.

15. ZaCkOX

ZaCkOX New Member

Bakersfield
    Is it snowing or did you not call your hits? :D

It looks like bbs are coming back at you.

16. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    That thing just sounds scary. Nice.
    Probably dust or bugs.

17. Lefse

Thanks, it does sound quite scary, it's not exactly what you'd call, maneuverable though, it was quite difficult to film that, because of the ridiculous weight and length of the thing. What you're seeing is probably some water spray from my BB trap, as it uses water to slow down the BB's. It' basically a small water tank with an angled vertical shaft on top. It's simple, but effective.

18. Lefse

Here's a small update on my AK, tested out a new 4 cell setup for it today. I made a Deans serial coupler to run two 2 cell li-po's in series, to bump it up to about 50rps. Will upload a chrono video when I've finished tweaking it, may need some mods to feed reliably. Preliminary test run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6Wll8ixtA&feature=youtu.be

19. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    Hmm. Trigger response seemed slow...what's In that beast?

20. ZaCkOX

ZaCkOX New Member

Bakersfield
    On a 4 cell? I don't think so LOL. Might be the contacts don't touch soon enough and that looks like the trigger response is slow. But 4 cells would give a nasty trigger response.