Legacy's Guide to Building a High Speed AEG

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by LegacyAirsoft, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Won't make a significant difference but every bit helps I guess. Easiest way to boost ROF is to increase the battery voltage.

-Spitfire- and 1tonne like this.
  2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Try LIHV and get a .1V bump per cell.

1tonne likes this.

3. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Will have to look into that

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Well-Known Member

Meadville
    Best piston for a DSG build? My SHS blew out and I’m not skimping

5. danerd

danerd Well-Known Member

Ozark
    SHS/ Dream Army
    CYMA FMR
    Kratos

Expect to blow pistons on a DSG if the tuning isnt perfect. It also doesnt help things are made in batches and quality varies between them.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Well-Known Member

Meadville
    Good point, guess all I can do is hope then

7. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    So I thought I would experiment with stronger tappet plate springs. Normal tappet plate springs have 0.6mm thick wire. So I ordered a couple of different springs with different wide diameters from Aliexpress. So I got 0.8mm thickness (0.8mm*6mm*25mm) and also 1mm thickness. The 1mm thickness fitted over the front post but when closing the shell of the gearbox, the wire was getting in the way just a little. So I have not bothered with the 1mm as it is really overkill. The 0.8mm seems to fit really nicely but I have trimmer a couple of coils.
    I have not had time to test but I am pretty sure it will work a treat. So if you are wanting a better tappet plate spring, get a spring from Aliexpress that has 0.8mm thick wire.

kazuchan likes this.
  8. Raven1st

Raven1st Well-Known Member

San Ramon valley
    So you have a link or screen shot of the listing for the springs you bought?

JHat likes this.
  9. 1tonne

1tonne Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Get the 25mm spring. I then took off 2 coils and it works a treat. I tested the strength of it and it is a little stronger than my current spring that is already strong.

Attached Files:

-Spitfire- and Raven1st like this.
  10. Ben3721

Ben3721 Active Member

So the other day I hit 40.7rps with a ssg and I'm dumbfounded that I haven't encountered any pme.

Its a 12:1 gearset short stroked by 3, with a sp130 guarder spring with 3 tight pitch coils clipped. Asg 22tpa motor with 4 cell lipo. Trying to get it under 400fps with .20 for my local field. It was shooting about 420 at that 40rps fine for days of gaming without damage inside or overheating. I just took off that third coil off the spring and am worried that pme is going to sneak up on me. The coils in that part of the irregular spring are fully compressed when installed so its only taking 3 to 5fps off per coil it seems. Its not a ported cylinder, it is also a 363mm 6.03 barrel.

I've impressed myself that this thing hasn't blow out anything yet. Only failure I've had is two tappet springs breaking over the last year.

11. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You will drop the FPS if you switch to a ported cylinder.

12. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's no mystery why it's not hitting PME, a Guarder SP130 is almost equivalent to an M150 spring. Even with several coils removed it'll be like an M130, giving you a high "PME ceiling". One thing besides a ported cylinder you can try is to lower the piston weight if possible, this might actually decrease FPS a bit.

The cylinder is already effectively "ported" because of the short stroking, the effective cylinder volume is quite close to optimal for a 363mm barrel, so you'll ne a cylinder with the port quite far forward.