Lets talk BBs

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by S4V4G3BEAST, Jul 31, 2012.

1. S4V4G3BEAST

S4V4G3BEAST New Member

Houston
    Ok...im not a beginner, ive been playing airsoft for a few months and i guess i would consider myself and intermediate player. Ive been doing some research online and ive noticed people have diffrent opinions on bbs and i wanted to know what types of bbs do you guys use? I personally use .2 Matrix bbs but alot of people use TSD and is it just because of price?...or a higher quality? Also please if you could give me some advise of some bbs you guys would recommend because ive had no problems with the Matrix bbs but just out of curiosity.

2. lonewolf01

lonewolf01 New Member

I am a dmr and I use crossman .25 bbs and I can hit people no problem with my cyma m14 at 120 feet

3. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    120 Feet is not impressive for even a stock gun.
    An upgraded and tuned DMR should be getting at least 230 feet.
    Most fields require a DMR to have a minimum engagement distance of 100 feet.
    If your rifle is only hitting 120, that is not very effective is it?

OP: Matrix are fine. I prefer Elite Force, KSC perfects, and G&G goldenball.

4. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    ^^^ DMR fail...

WE .40g + 550fps (chrono'd with .20g, 410fps with .40g) = 300 feet
    at 120 feet, you should be able to take out their finger. at 200 feet, headshot.

for full auto AEG, i use .25g bulk matrix for the cost savings. bb's from Taiwan (matrix) seems to have very similar quality. crosman .25g are also made in Taiwan.

5. RunnerAndGunner87

RunnerAndGunner87 New Member

Nashville
    My personal favorites are the Echo1 match grade .23's and .25's

6. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use KA Platinum in .25g and .28g weights. I use the .28's in my two heavily upgraded assault rifles that both have the flat-hop. They both chrono in at about 400 fps with .20's. With the .28's I'll easily hit an opponent at 200 feet, even longer with optimal conditions. I do not consider them DMR's.

7. 703

703 Active Member

Whatever I can find cheapest in bulk...

Right now Im using Goldenball .25s and they work great

8. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    TSD .23s and Goldenball .25s. I get my bbs for free on occasion, so I just grab a bag of whatever and end up using that. It usually happens to be one of the two above.

.23s for my M4, .25s for my M14.

9. g03

g03 New Member

Use recycled bbs they are .12 but they are cheap

10. g03

g03 New Member

Crossman .25 are fantastic

11. M240BravoRomeo

M240BravoRomeo New Member

Anthem
    At g03 not to call you out but that is a great way to damage high end weapons and personally I use goldenball .25 for a good balance of accuracy and power.

12. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Honestly g03 are you trolling? Because everything you have said since you joined is wrong. Go read the stickies and come back when you know what isn't terrible.

13. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Ammo Test Results Report
    By BoogerMc

"A few years ago, about mid to late summer, while performing some testing procedures to sight in the scopes and sniper rifles used by members of our team, it came to our attention that our current 6mm .20g Perfect BB’s were not performing as required for the task at hand. So, we tested all the same rifles with the .30g Perfect BB’s we had on hand and found them to be lacking as well. We did discover however that our .20g’s had been mixed with what we believe were Airsoft Elite’s and Firepower brand BB’s, still none of these performed up to our expectations nor our desires.

This posed a question, how do we determine what ammo to use in order to obtain our desired results? The answer was to purchase several of what research would prove to be the top brands of 6mm competition grade ammo available and to test them.

First we needed to determine how to test them, after some Internet research and a lot of it, we devised a list of testing criteria. The testing would take place in two phases, phase one would be field-testing, which would be further divided into six categories; those categories were: Accuracy (both with and without Hop Up), Distance, Tendency to Jam, Consistency to fly straight, and Out of barrel consistency.

The second phase of testing would be bench testing, which would be further divided into six categories; those categories were: Bubbles, Straight travel on an incline, Wobble, Breakability, Consistent appearance, and Weight accuracy.

Actual testing would be performed in field by the five committee members. Each member would have one magazine of each ammo brand for their rifles and those with CO2 pistols would share one quick loader per ammo brand until each ammo brand was depleted. Once all five ammo brands were used up, the field-testing phase would be finished.

Bench testing would be performed by Gadget and myself after all field-testing had been completed.

Once the testing criteria was established, it was simply a matter of deciding which ammo brands to test, again, based on further research it was determined that five brands would be purchased for testing; those brands were: G&G, Golden Ball, Javelin, Maruzen, and P-Force. All of these were .25g 6mm BB’s, with the exception of the Golden Ball’s which were .23g because at the time of ordering, there were no .25g’s available from the supplier. These are considered to be, top of the list, for typical competition grade field ammo, which is what we were in need of to begin with.

So, how did they perform? The results were quite surprising. Each category of each phase was worth a total of five points. A score of one was considered the worst and a score of five, the best. So, between the two criteria phases and each of the six categories, a perfect score would have been 60 points.

At the top of the list was the P-force brand BB’s. They received a perfect score in the field test, no complaints in regards to any of the testing categories. However, they received a score of 27 out of 30 in the bench-testing portion. During this phase of testing, bubbles were found in each of the BB’s tested. They were small and consistently placed, but they were still present. Their weight was also determined to be off slightly. Twenty BB’s were weighed as one unit and the total weight was then divided by 20 to determine the average weight of each BB; in the case of these BB’s, each one should have weighed .25g; however, their actual average weight was .28g, a difference of .03g. The final discrepancy was found in the breakability category, while this was more of an opinion based test, its basic point was to determine how hard it was to break a single BB. Based on the perceived amount of force needed to break a single BB using a pair of pliers, several BB’s were crushed for this determination. While they were not the easiest to break, they were also not the hardest. In this category alone, they received a four out of five. This brought the total score for the bench test to 27 overall, for a total test score of 57 points.

In second place was the Maruzen ammo; they received an overall total of 55 points. Their field test score was a 29, there was some issues with our DPMS (Panther Arms) M-4; those issues were with the out of barrel consistency, every other BB or so was drifting to the right. Otherwise, they received perfect scores in all remaining categories. They received a bench test score of 26, which was actually third place for bench scores alone. Again, bubbles were found, small but consistently placed within each of the tested BB’s. These were also determined to have some wobble, which was most likely a result of the bubbles. Finally these had some appearance issues, for one they were an off white with a very slight green tint, this really isn’t that big of an issue, but they also appeared to have some slight surface blemishes as well. The good news is that these were among the hardest to break and their weight tolerances were dead on at exactly .25g.

Taking our number three position was the Golden Ball. While these were highly touted by several online sources, they did not perform as well as expected. With a field score of 23, they too had issues with our M-4; the Hop Up had to be adjusted several times during their use and there were also issues reported with certain of our CO2 pistols. Surprisingly, they received the highest of all the bench scores, coming in at a 29 out of 30; in fact, the only issue these had during the bench-testing phase was their weight. At .24g per BB actual versus .23g per BB reported, these were the second closest to exact out of all the ammo tested.

In a strange twist of fate, our fourth place contender received the exact same field score as it did its bench score, a 21 all around. This was the Javelin brand ammo. In the field, there were several issues with accuracy and gun jamming, which was quite surprising because these are the recommended BB’s for Classic Army guns. During bench testing, there were quite a few surprises; for one, these proved to be the weakest of all the ammo tested. They crushed quite easily and had the worst bubbles of all the ammo brands. Along with varying bubble size, the placement was as inconsistent as it could get. There were also issues with appearance and they tied the P-force in weight accuracy coming in at .28g per BB actual versus .25g per BB reported.

Last on out list is the G&G brand. While they failed miserably in the field, they actually were number four on the list for bench scores at 23 points. Their field score of 18 explains their poor performance overall. Basically put, their accuracy in both categories sucked, as did their consistency across the board and finally they were incapable of maintaining any distance overall between all five guns used during testing. There were issues with left to right flight and Hop Up in several guns. On top of this, these particular BB’s seemed to literally fly through the guns, each tester reported going through these BB’s much faster than any of the others. On the bench, they did perform a bit better; although, they had the worst of all the bubbles, inconsistent in both size and placement, as well as very bad wobble. They also had the worst score for weight accuracy, they were reported at .25g; however, their actual per BB average was .36g. To say this is a major difference would be an understatement.

Now the most important comparison of all, the cost; each of the five ammo brands tested break down as follows:
    1. P-Force
    a. $15.00 for 4,000 rounds or 0.004 cents per round
    2. Maruzen
    a. $14.99 for 3,000 rounds or 0.005 cents per round
    3. Golden Ball
    a. $9.99 for 3,000 rounds or 0.003 cents per round
    4. Javelin
    a. $13.99 for 3,000 rounds or 0.003 cents per round
    5. G&G
    a. $12.00 for 3,000 round or 0.003 cents per round

Take note that the “per round” price is rounded to the nearest thousandth of a cent, so the “per round” price versus the “per quantity” price may appear off just a slight bit. Given that all the ammo brands listed, except the P-force, are measured in 3,000 round bags, to compare apples to apples, 3,000 rounds of P-Force BB’s would actually cost $12.00. So, even though they are still not the cheapest of all the ammo brands, their performance versus their cost is acceptable overall.

One final item to note, the guns used for testing were all bare bones stock as far as internals go. Gadget used his Classic Army M15A4. Overkill shot up the place with his Jing Gong AK-47. On loan to Ogre was my Jing Gong Sig Sauer 550. While Troll borrowed my DPMS (Panther Arms) M-4 Carbine and I, BoogerMc, used my Echo 1 G36C.

All in all the testing and the game went off rather well, everyone who played the game and / or participated in the testing had an enjoyable time of it; in fact, we not only went through several thousand rounds of ammo during the four hours of play, but we killed nearly every battery on the field that day. Of course, when you consider that we had ten batteries between six guns that really drives the point home; the sixth gun was not involved in the testing, it was carried by one of the opposing team members, namely Gigalo with his (now retired) Tactical Force MP5. As to why it’s retired, see my column in our August 2009 Newsletter."

Mind you this is a few years old and we have tried several other brands since this, including King Arms, Red Devils, and a couple of others. We still prefer the P-Force.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. USPxMASTERx

USPxMASTERx New Member

I personally use KWA perfect .25s and g03 do you really even airsoft

15. DaveRuination

DaveRuination New Member

Alhambra
    like i say in all these bb threads - the only bb's i've ever had a problem with in any way was with aim tops. couldn't really notice any difference between tm, g&g, we, airsplat, matrix, echo 1, or airsoft elite bb's

16. S4V4G3BEAST

S4V4G3BEAST New Member

Houston
    Hes trolling either that or hes a complete idiot. But thanks everyone for the opinions and info...i think i wanna try the golden balls or may kwa perfect bbs...just to experiment...eventually im going to try out majority bbs on the market just for experience.

17. piepie

piepie New Member

I use cross man .20 in the backyard and cross man .25 in any other situation

18. airsoftaddict89

airsoftaddict89 New Member

Picayune.
    I have been using elite force .25s. I just ordered 12,000 WE .3s. Well see how this goes.

19. TysonY2

TysonY2 New Member

Emmett
    I tend to like Javelin .28's

20. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize Active Member

OKC
    I really like King Arms .25's or Elite Force .2's. They are both pretty good.