Lets talk Condor.

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by OneSho1, Jul 10, 2015.

1. OneSho1

OneSho1 New Member

Alright so I have watched a couple of videos on Condor and how it is made and the quality. Many reviews say it is really exceptional for the price your paying. I have been looking at some Flyye stuff but Condor seems very wallet friendly. My question is, why does everyone hate Condor? Will it work well in my situation?

So my situation is this:

I want to play airsoft, but not like every day or week, maybe 2-3 times a month.

I am playing indoors

Not gonna be throwing it around in the mud or anything like that

So will Condor work in my case? Sorry if my grammar is off im typing this half asleep.

Thanks!

2. Shady

Shady Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lifetime Supporter

3. lego7897

lego7897 Member

Boise
    First of all, there's actually other, more cost effective options out there (my MODI JPC for instance). With that said, I don't like condor for a few reasons. First, they tend to have terrible fit, they wobble around, have odd cuts, and tend to be sorta "floppy". Their quality control and seam work is pretty low grade as well, seams tear, fray, and overall don't last. Another issue is some of the materials they use, their JPC, for instance, has a nerf-dart like foam for the shoulder straps that could easily tear. Even though it's not as bad as some make it seem, I would HIGHLY recommend looking at other options, try shootercbgear.com and stores that are more centered on gear (typically avoid evike, ASGI, etc). Anyway, just my experience with them.

4. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

Their products tend to be more expensive and lower quality than flyye. Regardless they also have a very high lemon rate. I had condor pouches that I ran for 2+ years, and I have had condor pouches that arrived with no buttons.

5. Qui-Gon

Qui-Gon Active Member

The first thing you definitely do not want to do is watch reviews on YouTube. They're mostly made by people that either are very young/don't have experience with proper gear or just got it and are really excited because well, new gear.

The thing about Condor isn't only the quality. I can say from personal experience that it's low quality. I've compared it to decent and high quality brands, and they've beaten Condor by miles.

Another thing is the design. Condor's design are made to look cool, and zero thought has been given to the functionality and weight distribution. The thing about weight distribution is that when carrying a large/heavy load, or just a regular load, for a certain period of time can result in spinal damage, or will just become very uncomfortable.

Even when only airsofting a couple times a month, it's still important to wear quality gear. You've already looked at FLYYE, so you're off to a good start. FLYYE gear is good quality, and you'll probably be able to find a good carrier for about the same price as Condor. If that's not the case, you could look at the brand MODI. They're a bit lower quality, but still ways ahead of Condor. I've handled a MODI JPC for a while, and it's a pretty good carrier, especially for the price.

6. OneSho1

OneSho1 New Member

Alright, I think I will stick to flyye then, Shady got anymore popcorn?

7. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    I like Condor.

Yes, most of their gear is knock-offs of other companies stuff, mostly made in Asia, at a significantly lower price.

Yes, their quality usually isn't as good as the high dollar made-in-the-USA brands like HSGI, BlueForce Gear, Tactical Taylor, etc.

Also keep in mind all gear is disposable. Use it long enough, hard enough, and it will ear out. Cloth rips, stitching frays, velcro stops sticking, and elestic stretches out. Even the expensive USA-made stuff will eventually fail.

For the price though, some of the Condor stuff is decent. I've got some pouches that I've been using for a year now that still work well (and I haven't found a non-Condor alternative that would do the same job), and I've got some Condor pouches that are showing a little signs of wear.

You need to look at the individual piece, evaluate if it will solve your problem, and go from there.

Condor is also a "real steel" brand. I've seen lots of their stuff for sale at gunshows, and on occasion I've loaded real mags into Condor pouches and real plates in to Condor carriers. It all fits just fine.

DISCLAIMER: Some of the really really old Condor stuff is **** though; no idea when they started turning things around. I wouldn't buy their older designs in their older colors unless I got to visually inspect them first.

8. I_Am_Coopa

I_Am_Coopa New Member Supporting Member

Escanaba
    It really doesn't matter if an individual piece is acceptable. Condor is known for bad quality control.

The fact of the matter is, much better gear can be had for only a little more if not the same amount. Just because Condor is at gun shows does not make it really real steel. I have plate carrier that special forces are known to use, does not get much more real steel than that. Never ever buy Condor.

Another important thing to note, if one does buy better gear, the resale value will maintain a much better price-point than a Condor equivalent.

9. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Take a look at this dude's thread:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f96/could-use-some-suggestions-vest-belt-hydration-rig-119734/

He's used Condor, 90's gear, and a few odds and ends of decent-but-not-great stuff and it didn't work for him. Yet here he is recommending it. That should make you stop and think about whether you should listen to him.

As a side note, the old "it used to be terrible but now that I use it they must be making it better" line has been thrown around by people using junk gear and guns for at least the 14 years I've been playing airsoft. It's a great go-to to justify your bad purchases, and when you see it, you should start questioning.

10. OneSho1

OneSho1 New Member

I think this thread is causing friendships to be broken and wars to be started. I will not buy Condor

11. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    I've also got a rig near me that's mixed BlueForce, Eagle, Magpul, and Camelbak.

Yeah, I'm playing with gear. Some cheap, some not so cheap. I've yet to see anyone come up with a perfect setup for airsoft.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Your BFG Beltminus doesn't work for you, as you said (there's a reason their gear doesn't get a lot of attention in the military). Magpul and Camelbak specialize in things that aren't nylon. Your Eagle is what, pouches? Not exactly a strong basis for comparison, if that was the point you were driving at.

The perfect kit is very obviously subjective. What works for me depends on what I need to carry, how I play, how my body is shaped, what environments I play in, and a dozen other factors. That doesn't mean that there aren't awful pieces of gear that are objectively bad. It means that of the good stuff, some will work better for me and some will work better for you. And it's all better than the bad stuff for everyone.

I don't know why this is so hard for the "well, it works for me" crowd to understand. It doesn't work for you nearly as well as you think it does, you just don't know how well good gear actually works for you. I've said it elsewhere: bad gear "works" for you, good gear works for you. Bad gear holds your stuff most of the time. Good gear contributes to and amplifies your game play.

When players who understand gear put together their kits, they tweak and fine tune until they can put together the perfect loadout (and because it's about collecting, they sell it and put together another perfect loadout in a different pattern or for a different role or whatever, but that's another story). I have my kit exactly how I want it, at least until some new piece of gear comes out that does the job better than the gear I have. I've spent years researching and buying and selling gear to get my kit to function just right for me, and it does.

You can put together the perfect kit for you. The reason you haven't even come close is because you're buying junk and deluding yourself into thinking that it's good (good enough to recommend to others at least) while simultaneously complaining about how it doesn't work for you.

13. OneSho1

OneSho1 New Member

Well i think condor is a no go. What about Lancer Tactical? Are they the same as condor or better than Flyye?

14. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The same. Almost any brand that you commonly see on airsoft retailers is going to be junk. They just sell cheap crap with higher margins because kids don't know any better. The only decent repro brands are FLYYE, Pantac, Toy Soldier, VGC, and Semapo. At this point, any other repro brand is making garbage.

15. OneSho1

OneSho1 New Member

Well thanks for being straightforward and saving my wallet from buying stuff ill end up breaking