Light, fast, and powerful

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by JoeDene, Jun 5, 2015.

1. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

I recently participated in an outdoor event which had very thick woods. It came to me to late that my gear and weapon were to heavy and cumbersome for this environment. Especially with the fact that my squad was given the job of recon. Any suggestions on weapons and gear that are light yet effective in a firefight. Preferably with a spec ops vibe.

2. Southpaw19

Southpaw19 Active Member

Well first we need a little more info...

What do you currently use?

What do you think is wrong with it?

How do you think you can improve it?

How far are you willing to change?

How much are you willing to spend in order to make these changes?

3. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

M4-A1 S-system.
    Nothing is wrong, just not meant for the specific recon roll.
    I need to improve weight, and mobility. (Vest and weapon included )
    I'll spend absolutely no more than 450

4. Southpaw19

Southpaw19 Active Member

And what kind of attachments are you running on it?

What vest are you using? How do you have it set up?

And I think the most important question here is, how often do you play in a recon role? Are all of these changes really worth it if you have to do this maybe a handful of times a year?

5. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

Well, I run a regular red dot, a flash/lazor light combo, and a angled foregrip. I have a Matrix MOLLE S.D.E.U. High Speed vest set up for a support role. extra mags, ammo, etc.
    I switched teams last game and the current team I'm one specialized in recon. So I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more in the future. And yes I think they are worth it because each match last 5-6 hours in the heat. I need a lighter and more mobile loadout meant for recon

6. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

The changes are worth it*

7. Southpaw19

Southpaw19 Active Member

Alright, to make your gun lighter you could:
    -add a tube or keymod rail
    -change to a micro T1 for your optic
    -get a lighter flashlight/laser combo, use only one, or ditch them all together
    -use a handstop instead of a AFG

Doing all this will make your gun as light weight as possible, you could also shorten your barrel and things like that.

For your gear, look into getting a chest rig. The particular make and model, whether you want it to be static or modular, etc is all up to you, and you should look more into that yourself. But if you want lightweight and cool, a chest rig is the way to go.

And in regards to keeping cool. Look into getting a combat shirt if you don't already, and wear a boonie hat or ball cap instead of a helmet (if that's what you wear). These will help keep you cooler and also do a better job of wicking away you sweat and keeping you dry.

$450 is a fairly decent budget and will give you a lot of options in both real steel and reproduction gear, which one you go for is up to you. Just link us to what you are thinking of getting and we can tell you if it will be a good deal or not. In general avoid brands such as Condor, Matrix, TMC, Emerson, etc. as that gear will not be very good quality, also avoid shopping on websites like Airsoft GI, Evike, and Airsplat, as they will sell all of this junk or sell you decent products that are overpriced. For good reproduction gear look at Flyye on shootercbgear.com, and for real steel gear check out the selection on skdtac.com and optactical.com.

Pictures of your current set ups could also be useful for us to help you.

8. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

Alright sounds good, thanks a lot man. I'll let you know what I come up with.

9. Iram

Iram Member

Austin
    Consider a battlebelt. I'd recommend suspenders (thin ones or ALICE style; not the heavy Condor H-Harness) so you don't risk loosing your gear if the buckle snags. The BlueForce BeltMinus is awesome, though you can't mount a sidearm on it (not stiff enough).

You might want to clarify what you mean by "recon". A scoped rifle (for long range observation) might be a good way to go, and spare radio batteries (to radio information to your team's command) may be important.

If the airsoft "S-System" is as heavy as the old ARMS SIR rail it's based on, then ditch it. Some of the new minimalist handguards are light (BCM Keymod, MI Keymod, etc.), but the basic M4 handguards beat having a massing waste of metal on the front of your gun.

10. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

Recon as in a small and quick detachment force that is assigned to collect I tell and engage small numbers to harass the enemy

11. Kopis

Kopis Active Member

For recon you should look into belt setups or chest rigs. I love my haley strategic D3CR rig. Super lightweight and secure. As for the gun M4s are pretty lightweight but I advise you to ditch the light and laser. Also get plastic mags if you don't already have them.

Buy my WE M16+4 mags, 200 +shipping CONUS

12. JoeDene

JoeDene New Member

What would you say about SMGs

13. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo

They're definitely closer range but they're super light and usually fast. Another perk is that they also make holsters for a few of them, so if you need to leg it like crazy, you can holster it.

14. Sacarathe

Sacarathe New Member

London
    Hi, I hope this doesn't overly hijack this thread, I have a question about this information:

Are the budget brands acceptable if one cannot afford better, or is the quality so considerably bad that it would best to save up for better.

I am personally on the edge of buying a Battlebelt, belt, h-harness, thigh holster, currently condor is my favourite (price/availability), I am after practical/functional and lightweight.

I am fairly new to airsoft so I have little gear as yet. I am planning to get a polarstar though at the first opportunity. I wont be airsofting more than 3 times a month.

Should I save up for a better brands (though I don't know what they are) or just get the above items?

With regards to clothing, and obviously weapons I have a high budget, but I figure buy cheap on the interchangeable (for the sake of argument, here I refer to all MOLLE) items, as over time I may end up a acquiring several different types/combinations, and it would otherwise be cost prohibitive.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  15. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    You should save for better brands. The lower quality stuff isn't worth putting down money on, and often times, wouldn't be worth using if it were free. It's just not good.

Here's the most important thing, though. You can almost always get a better piece of gear for the same price or less compared to the bad stuff. For instance, you're looking for a battle belt, right? The Condor, which is one of those awful brands from which you should never buy, sells for about $20. A lot of players who don't know any better will get that, because hey, $20 bucks isn't much and how bad could it be? Well, they could have gotten this Eagle Industries War Belt for $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Indus...220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462ed3443c

Eagle is a real steel brand and one of the highest quality manufacturers in the country. Because they supply to the US military, a lot of their stuff hits the surplus market at incredibly low prices. You should buy that instead of the piss poor Condor belt that costs twice as much. They have an H-Harness, too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAGLE-INDUS...234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d353dd32

For a holster, the soft holsters that you're looking at are junk. Check out a hard holster instead. They'll hold your gun more securely, they'll protect it better, they'll draw smoother, and they won't drop your mag when you run. Blackhawk SERPAs and G Code holsters are both affordable and fantastic pieces of kit.

You don't have to spend a lot to get good gear. Bad gear costs just as much up front (if not more) and always costs you more down the road, as you have to keep replacing it. Get out of the mindset that Condor is good. It's junk. Spend some time reading the gear forum here and you'll learn what you should be looking for and you'll learn why using good gear matters.

16. Steve116277

Steve116277 Member

North Alabama
    Condor is just not held in high regard. Just do a little research on the boards here to find other options.

On topic:

How about a used ALICE rig? I'm not 100% certain full size M4 mags would fit in the old style mag pouches but you could always switch to stubby mags or carry your mags in the larger gp pouch. In a recon role, you should not need much ammo anyway. You could then carry any smaller items in the smaller mag pouches and use the canteen for its intended purpose. ALICE has the benefit of being light, tough, and cheap. I've seen full sets for twenty bucks.

17. Sacarathe

Sacarathe New Member

London
    Thanks, that is really really helpful. Over in england, its worse than you have described because the items from brands such as condor cost in £ whatever they cost in $, even when excluding the taxes and import duties in many cases it's still cheaper to import from the US.

But in effect paying the same in £ as items in the US are in $ means we have to pay around 50% more. Import taxes/duty is 25% more(ignoring the postage mess).

The point - avoiding crap quality is all the more important. I shall research these brands and see what I can find. Thanks for your time.

18. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    No problem. There's a pretty decent milsim contingent over in the UK, so you should be able to find a lot of used gear there pretty easily without having to import it yourself. Check out Arnie's if you haven't yet.

19. rondeb22

rondeb22 Go To OOBI Games Supporting Member

Sunman

Actually, ALICE is designed to hold STANAG mags. It replaced M56, which was designed for M14 mags.

If you decide on an old school belt rig, being British is a big bonus, because you guys designed excellent belt kits. P58 is neat and has the added bonus of being able to hold just about any mag possible. I've never used PLCE, but I've heard good things about it.

That's the extent of my knowledge/relevance here, so I'll but out and let Knief and the others take over here.

20. Sacarathe

Sacarathe New Member

London
    Ok, based on this information, I'm going to buy good brand trousers with knee pads and UBACS/ACS (Crye/massif etc), stick with the current plan for china clone battlebelt/h-harness, and then I have something to play with while I work on researching/finding good stuff for a proper loadout. Thanks for the info.

Got 5 weeks to change my mind though, no gun until then. :)

On topic:
    Wish I had something to add, but i'll start a thread in a few months when i'm working on a proper loadout.

EDIT: I already have a hard shell pistol holster (nuprol), but it's a paddle, will get the MOLLE attachment for it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015